Fringe Players Impact

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Fringe Players Impact

Postby Leinsterlunatic » July 19th, 2017, 11:03 am

Who do we think out of our current crop of fringe players could make a bigger impact this season?

Tom Daly
Seems to have the size capabilities and impressed last year against some of the lower level players, could get a bit more game time this season given Henshaw & Ringrose injuries?

Barry Daly
Started very well last season before the red card & tough Munster performance on Stephens Day, proven to be a great finisher and also looked to be improving defensively towards the end of last year, I think Daly could make a good impact this year but will be tough behind new wingers.

Byrne Twins
If they can stay fit I also think the Byrnes could be a great asset this year!

Cathay Marsh
I reckon there's too many people ahead of him at this stage, valuable asset at A level but needs to really kick on this year if he has any hope of staying next season.

Peader Timmons
A casualty of our richness in the back row, always seemed incredibly solid at A & club level though.

What do you all think?
Leinsterlunatic
Beginner
 
Posts: 21
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby simonokeeffe » July 19th, 2017, 6:15 pm

Tom Daly has best chance largely due to to highest probable amount of gametime. Then prop Byrne. But cant see them dislodging anyone
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 15917
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby Armchair » July 19th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Daly will definitely get the best opportunity to shine whether he is capable of grasping that opportunity is another thing. He has all the physical characteristics needed to make it. It is a make or break year for him one way or another needs to bo impress to be kept on for the following season
User avatar
Armchair
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 10:16 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby Leinsterlunatic » July 20th, 2017, 8:52 am

Armchair wrote:Daly will definitely get the best opportunity to shine whether he is capable of grasping that opportunity is another thing. He has all the physical characteristics needed to make it. It is a make or break year for him one way or another needs to bo impress to be kept on for the following season


Is this Tom or Barry you are referring to?
Leinsterlunatic
Beginner
 
Posts: 21
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby mildlyinterested » July 20th, 2017, 9:36 am

Can't see any of those lads having much of an impact i'm afraid.
mildlyinterested
Graduate
 
Posts: 546
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby Armchair » July 20th, 2017, 11:04 am

Leinsterlunatic wrote:
Armchair wrote:Daly will definitely get the best opportunity to shine whether he is capable of grasping that opportunity is another thing. He has all the physical characteristics needed to make it. It is a make or break year for him one way or another needs to bo impress to be kept on for the following season


Is this Tom or Barry you are referring to?


Tom
User avatar
Armchair
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 10:16 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby leinsterforever » July 20th, 2017, 12:37 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:Can't see any of those lads having much of an impact i'm afraid.


I think Ed Byrne could go places if he could stay injury free.

It'll be interesting to see where Barry Daly is after some more time in a pro set up. He could be a useful option, depending on how much Leinster will need to call on him
leinsterforever
Graduate
 
Posts: 650
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 2:20 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby mildlyinterested » July 20th, 2017, 1:05 pm

leinsterforever wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Can't see any of those lads having much of an impact i'm afraid.


I think Ed Byrne could go places if he could stay injury free.

It'll be interesting to see where Barry Daly is after some more time in a pro set up. He could be a useful option, depending on how much Leinster will need to call on him


what places? He won't overtake Dooley/Healy/McGrath.

If he could throw, he might be a good hooker but that won't happen.
mildlyinterested
Graduate
 
Posts: 546
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby mildlyinterested » July 20th, 2017, 1:08 pm

More interesting:

Sean McNulty(Hooker)
James Ryan(Second Row)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jordan Larmour(Wing)
mildlyinterested
Graduate
 
Posts: 546
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby leinsterforever » July 20th, 2017, 2:13 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:More interesting:

Sean McNulty(Hooker)
James Ryan(Second Row)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jordan Larmour(Wing)


Cathal Marsh might get some opportunities early season off the bench behind Byrne if Carbery's still injured. It'll be interesting to see what sort of level he's at
leinsterforever
Graduate
 
Posts: 650
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 2:20 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby Laighin Break » July 20th, 2017, 2:25 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:More interesting:

Sean McNulty(Hooker)
James Ryan(Second Row)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jordan Larmour(Wing)


I'm thinking James Ryan will be more than just a fringe player next season
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 426
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby cormac » July 20th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Leinsterlunatic wrote:Who do we think out of our current crop of fringe players could make a bigger impact this season?

Tom Daly
Seems to have the size capabilities and impressed last year against some of the lower level players, could get a bit more game time this season given Henshaw & Ringrose injuries?

Barry Daly
Started very well last season before the red card & tough Munster performance on Stephens Day, proven to be a great finisher and also looked to be improving defensively towards the end of last year, I think Daly could make a good impact this year but will be tough behind new wingers.

Byrne Twins
If they can stay fit I also think the Byrnes could be a great asset this year!

Cathay Marsh
I reckon there's too many people ahead of him at this stage, valuable asset at A level but needs to really kick on this year if he has any hope of staying next season.

Peader Timmons
A casualty of our richness in the back row, always seemed incredibly solid at A & club level though.

What do you all think?


If Bryan Byrne could ever improve his lineout throwing he could leapfrog a few of other hookers. Ed Byrne could be a fine player but, as with Timmons, he has too much competition in his current position
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4634
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby mildlyinterested » July 20th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Laighin Break wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:More interesting:

Sean McNulty(Hooker)
James Ryan(Second Row)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jordan Larmour(Wing)


I'm thinking James Ryan will be more than just a fringe player next season


He is a fringe player right now, by mid season who knows.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on July 20th, 2017, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Graduate
 
Posts: 546
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby mildlyinterested » July 20th, 2017, 2:37 pm

leinsterforever wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:More interesting:

Sean McNulty(Hooker)
James Ryan(Second Row)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jordan Larmour(Wing)


Cathal Marsh might get some opportunities early season off the bench behind Byrne if Carbery's still injured. It'll be interesting to see what sort of level he's at


Marsh isn't good enough and never has been.

Carbery will be good to go start of the season unless he gets injured again.
mildlyinterested
Graduate
 
Posts: 546
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby mildlyinterested » July 20th, 2017, 2:38 pm

cormac wrote:
Leinsterlunatic wrote:Who do we think out of our current crop of fringe players could make a bigger impact this season?

Tom Daly
Seems to have the size capabilities and impressed last year against some of the lower level players, could get a bit more game time this season given Henshaw & Ringrose injuries?

Barry Daly
Started very well last season before the red card & tough Munster performance on Stephens Day, proven to be a great finisher and also looked to be improving defensively towards the end of last year, I think Daly could make a good impact this year but will be tough behind new wingers.

Byrne Twins
If they can stay fit I also think the Byrnes could be a great asset this year!

Cathay Marsh
I reckon there's too many people ahead of him at this stage, valuable asset at A level but needs to really kick on this year if he has any hope of staying next season.

Peader Timmons
A casualty of our richness in the back row, always seemed incredibly solid at A & club level though.

What do you all think?


If Bryan Byrne could ever improve his lineout throwing he could leapfrog a few of other hookers. Ed Byrne could be a fine player but, as with Timmons, he has too much competition in his current position


BB has proven he can't throw consistently, shame as he has a good all round game.
mildlyinterested
Graduate
 
Posts: 546
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby Leinsterlunatic » July 20th, 2017, 4:59 pm

leinsterforever wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Can't see any of those lads having much of an impact i'm afraid.


I think Ed Byrne could go places if he could stay injury free.

It'll be interesting to see where Barry Daly is after some more time in a pro set up. He could be a useful option, depending on how much Leinster will need to call on him


I honestly think Barry Daly will push on this season, Ica & a few others we're singing his praises last season at the start of the year, I do also think all of our fringe players struggled without competitive B&I Cup after Christmas so hopefully the A's can push on in this, this year.
Leinsterlunatic
Beginner
 
Posts: 21
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby jimbobjoe » July 20th, 2017, 5:03 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
cormac wrote:
Leinsterlunatic wrote:Who do we think out of our current crop of fringe players could make a bigger impact this season?

Tom Daly
Seems to have the size capabilities and impressed last year against some of the lower level players, could get a bit more game time this season given Henshaw & Ringrose injuries?

Barry Daly
Started very well last season before the red card & tough Munster performance on Stephens Day, proven to be a great finisher and also looked to be improving defensively towards the end of last year, I think Daly could make a good impact this year but will be tough behind new wingers.

Byrne Twins
If they can stay fit I also think the Byrnes could be a great asset this year!

Cathay Marsh
I reckon there's too many people ahead of him at this stage, valuable asset at A level but needs to really kick on this year if he has any hope of staying next season.

Peader Timmons
A casualty of our richness in the back row, always seemed incredibly solid at A & club level though.

What do you all think?


If Bryan Byrne could ever improve his lineout throwing he could leapfrog a few of other hookers. Ed Byrne could be a fine player but, as with Timmons, he has too much competition in his current position


BB has proven he can't throw consistently, shame as he has a good all round game.


Hasn't held back many other hookers
I'll die before I surrender, Tim.
User avatar
jimbobjoe
Enlightened
 
Posts: 841
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby wixfjord » July 20th, 2017, 7:24 pm

You're a
mildlyinterested wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Can't see any of those lads having much of an impact i'm afraid.


I think Ed Byrne could go places if he could stay injury free.

It'll be interesting to see where Barry Daly is after some more time in a pro set up. He could be a useful option, depending on how much Leinster will need to call on him


what places? He won't overtake Dooley/Healy/McGrath.

If he could throw, he might be a good hooker but that won't happen.


You love an auld speculative 'convert him to hooker' for anyone under 6'2 don't you :lol:
How many is it now?! Jordi Murphy, Nick Timoney, Timmons, Boyle, Ed Byrne. Anyone else?! We'd have a feckin team of hookers!
wixfjord
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby mildlyinterested » July 20th, 2017, 8:06 pm

instead they struggle to develop players there, i wonder why?

maybe if we tried to convert more players to that position it wouldnt be a gaping hole for leinster in terms of developing talent there.

leinster are doing it this year at u20 level with 3 of the 4 u20 hookers former LH props at schools level.
mildlyinterested
Graduate
 
Posts: 546
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Fringe Players Impact

Postby wixfjord » July 20th, 2017, 8:57 pm

Gotta convert em all!
wixfjord
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Next

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], captain pugwash, SemrushBot [Bot] and 3 guests