Leinster Pro 14 2017/18

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster Pro 14 2017/18

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Cheetahs preview on now on SkySp Action as they play Griquas in Curry Cup. Not much of an attraction for their fans, based on crowd size but temperature and ground conditions (and altitude) quite an eye-opener.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Cheetahs preview on now on SkySp Action as they play Griquas in Curry Cup. Not much of an attraction for their fans, based on crowd size but temperature and ground conditions (and altitude) quite an eye-opener.
Theres more people on this forum now than at the game

Going by teamsheet/squad lists Cheetahs are full strength save Bok squad players
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Leinster Rugby have this morning confirmed that Kevin Quinn has been appointed as the new Head of Commercial and Marketing. Quinn takes over from Paul Dermody who has joined Horse Racing Ireland, and will join his new colleagues in UCD this week.
A graduate of D.I.T. Kevin St, Quinn was founder and CEO of Ticéad Ltd, a company delivering sports event software. He was also founder and CEO of Servecast Ltd, a bespoke online video solutions company. Servecast was later acquired by Level 3 Communications where he acted as as VP of Commercial Strategy and Business Development for a number of years post-acquisition.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Thornley on OTB tonight saying that Leinster were having a lot of logistical problems in organising the upcoming trip to South Africa, didn't elaborate too much. Anybody heard anything?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote:Thornley on OTB tonight saying that Leinster were having a lot of logistical problems in organising the upcoming trip to South Africa, didn't elaborate too much. Anybody heard anything?
Thought they had difficulty booking flights for the whole squad (40 people) given the short notice.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Maybe they insisted on going Business Class to Cape Town rather than Economy to PE via Jo'berg. Many business travellers flying to Eastern S.Africa pay the supplement for big seats upstairs but no longer travel Business.

Cape Town flights are heavily booked this time of year and there is a big premium on Business Class compared to Ecenomy. As flights depart from 21.00 up to 23.30, almost every traveller sleeps through the 9-11 hour flight and doesn't eat or drink until breakfast.

Although I understand the desire to ensure the comfort of players, there would be almost no difficulty for anybody under 6'2" in travelling economy with an aisle seat. Nowadays, the vast majority of long-haul configurations provide plenty of seats (at a cost) for comfortable travel to SA in Economy Class.

Travelling Business Class to S.A is travelling on one of the three most profitable routes operated by either Virgin or BA out of Heathrow. Good business for some local travel agent, probably with a few well-heeled fans tagging along also!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Its not just their length its their girth as well
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

I did 13 hours in Economy to/from Cape Town with BA and I (at 6ft 1) swore never to fly economy for that distance ever again.

I was in no state to do anything after that, never mind undertake the training regime required as a rugby player.
Anyone But New Zealand
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I did Capetown in 05 on standby with a mate who's a pilot. Out in a 777 first class basically in a bed that you could walk all the way around while someone was lying in it. Back on a charter flight to Dusseldorf with a load of big Germans in Economy. Also 6'1" wouldn't fancy playing a game of Rugby afterwards. But sure they're young and fit :wink: :)

I got a lift back to Amsterdam in the back of a polo afterwards and then drove home to Dublin via the channel tunnel. I do remember almost blacking out on the M25 at 5am before stopping in London.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

johng wrote:I did Capetown in 05 on standby with a mate who's a pilot. Out in a 777 first class basically in a bed that you could walk all the way around while someone was lying in it. Back on a charter flight to Dusseldorf with a load of big Germans in Economy. Also 6'1" wouldn't fancy playing a game of Rugby afterwards. But sure they're young and fit :wink: :)
I was 19 then (although not that fit at the time) and youth didn't help me one bit. :cry:
Anyone But New Zealand
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I was a mere child in my early 40s. So I was grand.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Henshaw due back next week for game v Edinburgh.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ian Nagle is out for about 11 weeks.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

blockhead wrote:Henshaw due back next week for game v Edinburgh.
:green clap:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Good news for Henshaw
We could have a very strong albeit rusty team for that game

Tough break for Nagle, MK pulls ahead in the which injury prone lock do we keep/gets a run stakes
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I know it's early days and I don't want to jinx it, but the attendances are up over 11K on last years 3 corresponding fixtures. Johng said earlier this season that there is always a lag effect with the crowds and it seems to be true.
The first season of MOC had a Pro12 ave of over 19K while last year it was just over 15K, despite playing great rugby.
Maybe the likes of Joey and Tadgh are bringing them back.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I looked at the table again today: at this stage, it already looks like we are in a shoot-out with Ulster for the home quarter final. While they have had an easy fixture list, Scarlets are just kicking on, and look very good for the by into a home semi.
It is unlikely that we will get more than 5/6 points out of our home and away legs against Scarlets during the 6 Nations...given how our defensive system is working, and how their attacking system is working, we may be lucky to get that.
Getting on top of them, and getting a rest week, could be crucial given all our injuries already. But we are letting it slip.

If we had gotten our two points against Glasgow, we'd be in a much more comfortable place.
The flip side of that is that our away win again Ulster is an 8 pointer in our conference. If we beat them on little Christmas, we will certainly be more comfortable.
We also seem to have an easier run-in than them.
Of course, Edinburgh are very much still in the hunt. They have more points than the third placed side in the other conference and we play them away during the 6 Nations, just after the Champions Cup final round, in a match that is eminently losable.

Looking at the other conference, it is not clear who we would get in a home quarter Connacht, Cheetahs or Cardiff...and surely the Ospreys will have to find some form at some point.
Certainly, any of those at home would be preferable to Munster away.

Edit: here is the link to the tables: https://www.pro14rugby.org/championship-table/
Scarlets 34
Ulster 28
Leinster 27
Edinburgh 23
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

We got fairly shafted in the intra conference games having to play Glasgow, Cheetahs and Ospreys (as well as Connacht and Munster) away from home. I don't think either Ulster or Scarlets have it that hard. So far we've come away with 0pts from 2 of those games. If we follow last seasons performance down south we're looking at the other 2 games to bail us out.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:I looked at the table again today: at this stage, it already looks like we are in a shoot-out with Ulster for the home quarter final. While they have had an easy fixture list, Scarlets are just kicking on, and look very good for the by into a home semi.
It is unlikely that we will get more than 5/6 points out of our home and away legs against Scarlets during the 6 Nations...given how our defensive system is working, and how their attacking system is working, we may be lucky to get that.
Getting on top of them, and getting a rest week, could be crucial given all our injuries already. But we are letting it slip.

If we had gotten our two points against Glasgow, we'd be in a much more comfortable place.
The flip side of that is that our away win again Ulster is an 8 pointer in our conference. If we beat them on little Christmas, we will certainly be more comfortable.
We also seem to have an easier run-in than them.
Of course, Edinburgh are very much still in the hunt. They have more points than the third placed side in the other conference and we play them away during the 6 Nations, just after the Champions Cup final round, in a match that is eminently losable.

Looking at the other conference, it is not clear who we would get in a home quarter Connacht, Cheetahs or Cardiff...and surely the Ospreys will have to find some form at some point.
Certainly, any of those at home would be preferable to Munster away.

Edit: here is the link to the tables: https://www.pro14rugby.org/championship-table/
Scarlets 34
Ulster 28
Leinster 27
Edinburgh 23
Bear in mind that both Ulster and Scarlets have played 2 games against Italian opposition. Plus they are now away for 2 weeks without their internationals in SA. I didn't see the game but I believe they struggled at home against Treviso. We could see a turn around in the next 2 weeks alone. And if they are struggling without their internationals then maybe the 6Ns isn't the worst time to get them....
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

3 point draw for Ulster last night - one or two points less than they would've hoped for...but lucky in the end.
Cheetahs at home against Scarlets today. Scarlets just scraped past the Kings last week. Cheetahs have looked decent at home. Should be a cracking game. Let's hope Cheetahs beat them. Even then, you could see Scarlets getting 2 points though.