Pre-season friendlies

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The highlight for me was the half time show, really put a smile on my face and well done to all involved. Some great work from the coaches etc, really brilliant :happy clapper:

As others have said, much sterner test than last week. I actually thought we lacked cohesion at times but in the circumstances I thought we did well overall.

Thought the pack lacked power in the first half. Plenty of willing runners but we struggled to get going really. We looked good when we used our footwork and handling skills but not when we tried to just smash through them. Connors was particularly good in that regard.

I don't mean to be harsh on JGP because I'm aware that I criticise him a lot but I thought he was poor. His kicking was alright but I felt that he kicked a few times when running would have been much better, and while we did have an advantage it was very poor when he went the wrong way off a scrum. The really long pass to Daly was also poor. He took an age to move it and crabbed across the field when quick hands were needed. It was an amazing piece of skill but it left Daly having to beat Roko when he should have just been clear.

Conversely, thought McCarthy was great. Apart from the poor box kick he was excellent in most facets of play. I thought he improved the structure by having runners in place close to him. Whereas in the first half JGP's passes enabled Bath to line up our runners.

Carbery was sensational but thought Ross Byrne was also pretty good apart from the missed kicks. Joey played on the front foot more but even when he was in trouble his quick feet and skills to get out of it were amazing. One thing I didn't like was the way he was shifted to 15 again though, switching unnecessarily in a game like that doesn't bode well.

Adam Byrne didn't get much ball but really liked his take off the restart and hope it's a weapon that we use a lot as the season goes on.

Max Deegan confuses me a bit. His close in carrying can be very effective and he has a good work rate to get back up and go again, but he can also get smashed quite easily and he misses an awful lot of tackles. I counted at least four tonight and it's not like he's not throwing himself into them, strange for such a big guy. His skills are superb though, great take from the blocked chip. Doris was reasonably quiet with his carrying but thought his defence was great, made a couple of great cover tackles that he had no right to and he did well in the lineout. Very impressive performance for someone so young.

I still have absolutely no idea what team we'll put out and how we'll play next week tbh, that worries me. Set piece was mixed tonight and there isn't a settled pack to play again soon.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
But the stars of the eveningg were undoubtedly Joey Carbury and James Ryan.
Ruckedtobits wrote: Weaknesses? Our line-out yet again looked sloppy. Our defensive maul was schooled on a couple of occasions. Our defensive exits are higher risk than need be.

Ermmm
I have Bumbleflex
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Very disappointed that JGP's box-kicking is as bad as ever. Also, he really slowed the attack up with ponderous passing. I think McCarthy will overtake him this season.

Disappointed that Molony does not appear to have added more ballast and still goes to ground too easily.

Mick Kearney's hands were poor.

The very young first half back row were fantastic.

The size of Ryan. I was under the posts at Wesley end so I saw players/subs under the sticks up close and could gauge size accurately. Ryan has already outgrown Molony, who he shared the engine room with in schhol 4 years ago, but Nagle still deeper in the chest. He is well built, but no monster yet and will fill out further. Adam Byrne is so much bigger than any other back.

Deegan was calling the team in for the huddle after the last Bath score, animated and making points. He certainly sees himself as a man on a senior contract as opposed to an academy getting token match experience.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:
But the stars of the eveningg were undoubtedly Joey Carbury and James Ryan.
Ruckedtobits wrote: Weaknesses? Our line-out yet again looked sloppy. Our defensive maul was schooled on a couple of occasions. Our defensive exits are higher risk than need be.

Ermmm
Yep. James Ryan will be a great- and he played very well in terms of individual moments, showing fine skills, but the we missed Kearney in the tight scrum, line out and maul) in the second half. Still Ryan did some lovely things and the rest will undoubtedly come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've only just realised that Joey's two great kicks in the corner under the stand were both on his weaker foot.

Thought James Ryan added a lot of power. At one stage he destroyed Charteris at a ruck and it took an age for the Welshman to get back up, he genuinely looked shocked by the power he'd just experienced.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Judging by the piece in the 42 last week, Leo sees Fardy as a guy to bring on Molony and Ryan and to lead that front five.

I do worry slightly though about our tight game this season against bigger sides (like Montpellier). Hopefully Toner can step it up and Rhys will continue his form.
Aussiedub
Mullet

Post by Aussiedub »

wixfjord wrote:Judging by the piece in the 42 last week, Leo sees Fardy as a guy to bring on Molony and Ryan and to lead that front five.

I do worry slightly though about our tight game this season against bigger sides (like Montpellier). Hopefully Toner can step it up and Rhys will continue his form.
Surely having McGrath, Furlong, Toner, SOB, Ruddock, Conan, Heaslip etc will being the physicality needed in the pack.
After showing Munster how to win a HC final in the first attempt we will now demonstrate how to retain the HC in the following season :-)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Aussiedub wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Judging by the piece in the 42 last week, Leo sees Fardy as a guy to bring on Molony and Ryan and to lead that front five.

Surely having McGrath, Furlong, Toner, SOB, Ruddock, Conan, Heaslip etc will being the physicality needed in the pack.
It's partly about physicality, and partly about scrum/lineout, both of which malfunctioned at times last year.
For most games we were grand last year, but when playing the top French sides we were under serious pressure - Mont and Clermont away for example. We were like middleweights trying to hold on and out manoeuvre heavyweights.

We also struggled at times to put pressure on at the ruck without SOB and Jamie. Hopefully Leavy/VDF/Conan can learn from that.
If Fardy turns out to be as good as we hope and we can keep SOB fit, that'll be a huge boost. Fardy's defensive lineout and threat on the deck will be very useful.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Mhmm... SOB ... remind me ???... he used to play for Leinster , back in the day ...oh the memories !!!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

wixfjord wrote:It's partly about physicality, and partly about scrum/lineout, both of which malfunctioned at times last year.
For most games we were grand last year, but when playing the top French sides we were under serious pressure - Mont and Clermont away for example. We were like middleweights trying to hold on and out manoeuvre heavyweights.

We also struggled at times to put pressure on at the ruck without SOB and Jamie. Hopefully Leavy/VDF/Conan can learn from that.
If Fardy turns out to be as good as we hope and we can keep SOB fit, that'll be a huge boost. Fardy's defensive lineout and threat on the deck will be very useful.
Yeah the experience thing last season was a real issue in the back row particularly. For Monty at home I'd expect a near full strength pack though. We should be okay there.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

L.McGrath has improved immeasurably but JGP still seems poor, unfortunately. I agree that McCarthy may overtake him this season.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:L.McGrath has improved immeasurably but JGP still seems poor, unfortunately. I agree that McCarthy may overtake him this season.
Another blow to those project players XVs :D
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I don't know about anybody else, but this leaves me seriously underwhelmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quc-QSFqOlc

This also leaves me cold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FqWgZs5iHk&t=126.

Is it just me?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911 wrote:I don't know about anybody else, but this leaves me seriously underwhelmed:

Is it just me?
You talkin the rugby or the quality of the video?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:
riocard911 wrote:I don't know about anybody else, but this leaves me seriously underwhelmed:

Is it just me?
You talkin the rugby or the quality of the video?
The latter.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Why can we not have something along the lines of these 5 minutes highlights from the IRFU of the u20s LEI vs ULS in 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E__IqRnC480

What is the problem, ffs? They have all the footage. I would have thought exciting, attractive and up to date YouTube videos would be a good means of driving the brand. The clips put out by Leinster rugby of the Gloucester and Bath matches - in both cases more than half a week after the actual event - do not do that, if they leave a long-time fan like myself feeling short-changed. And I sure as hell can't imagine them reaching the previously unconverted. Out of frustration I ended up watching a 20 video summary of the 2nd ARG vs SA test.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

You're in the post vine current snapchat generation.

~1 minute videos are already bordering on long for the way consumable media is packaged these days.

You're lucky if you even get the scrum or line out that first phase tries are scored off.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ah now, who doesn't love 57 seconds of bangin' rights-free techno as they watch partial coverage of some tries
I have Bumbleflex
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Dave Cahill wrote:Ah now, who doesn't love 57 seconds of banging' rights-free techno as they watch partial coverage of some tries
Check this rights-free riff fest! \m/

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

You're way ahead of me, lads!!! LOL!!!