Pre-season friendlies

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Post by neiliog93 »

riocard911 wrote:Interesting - Vakh was benching loosehead last week. This week it's tighthead. The Andrew Porter Experiment 2.0?
Maybe they're trying to breed a prop who's genuinely equally comfortable on either side? A rare asset if pulled off. I've seen the Chilachava (Georgian at Toulon) do a good job on both sides, anyone else? Pre-Leinster CJ Van Der Linde maybe. Ollie Le Roux. (Let's not mention Tom Court).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

I know there are injuries but it's a sad state of affairs when we have an old man like nacewa playing 12 considering the money the club have to sign a short term player to cover 12/13 spot. If he starts the season there then it's a very strange move
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

carlow man wrote:I know there are injuries but it's a sad state of affairs when we have an old man like nacewa playing 12 considering the money the club have to sign a short term player to cover 12/13 spot. If he starts the season there then it's a very strange move
I suspect that if Isa does get the opportunity to play 12 a few times before the return of Robbie H, he will prove the doubters wrong.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

carlow man wrote:I know there are injuries but it's a sad state of affairs when we have an old man like nacewa playing 12 considering the money the club have to sign a short term player to cover 12/13 spot. If he starts the season there then it's a very strange move
A sad state of affairs when we have our captain playing...?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd be happy enough to see Isa as an emergency backup for Reid at 12, but there's no way he should be starting there for any of the league games.
I'd also be a lot less optimistic than some on here about him playing there. Would make our play a lot more unstructured, and his distribution isn't fantastic. Certainly wouldn't be any issues defensively though!

Reid has earned a crack though, and should be backed. He was top notch last season.

I also don't think we should be going down the route of bringing in a short term signing. Back the lads. In any case, Ringrose and Henshaw will be back hopefully before Munster.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Now that you've mentioned short term signings, Lialiafano would actually have been a good signing for us. He needs games and we've a short term need. Don't know what the delay is with Ulster but if that move fell through I'd be tempted to go for it for 3 months.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Now that you've mentioned short term signings, Lialiafano would actually have been a good signing for us. He needs games and we've a short term need. Don't know what the delay is with Ulster but if that move fell through I'd be tempted to go for it for 3 months.
Leinster getting an NIQ medical joker?? Are you mad man??
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Now that you've mentioned short term signings, Lialiafano would actually have been a good signing for us. He needs games and we've a short term need. Don't know what the delay is with Ulster but if that move fell through I'd be tempted to go for it for 3 months.
Its Ulster...why are you surprised? Nothing that happens up there makes sense when it comes to rugby.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Strong first half from Leinster going in 19-7 ahead at half time.
First try scored on 1 minute by Isa Nacewa finishing off a midfield break by Scott Fardy.
2nd try scored by Jamo GP under the posts,
Max Deegan scored Leinster's third - didn't see that one tbh :(

Don't know who scored for Gloucester but Rob Kearney will be blushing when he sees that one analysed.

All in all a good half of rugby contested by two half strength teams.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Charlie rock just on replacing JGP who had a good match.
The other Byrne brother on now.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Try Larmour on 58 minutes beating three defenders in tight space to touch down.

Max deegan touches down on 63 mins
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Beautiful high kick by Cathal Marsh kicked on by Larmour to score on 68 minutes. Electric pace, but it's a turkey shoot now
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Score?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

50-14
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

cormac wrote:50-14

Cool, ta.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

That was full-time score.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Very impressive display across theboard from Leinster Squad. Very impressive skill level throughout the players on display. Good to see Robert & Dave K back in harnass and welcome, Isa, to the No 12 jersey and happy to see you in it on any occasion.

Fardy looks the real deal. Good skills, smart, strong footballer and prepared to put in a shift. Dominant display from Peter Dooley at LHP. Back-row of Jordi, Deegan and Josh Murphy looked impressive in workload and skills. Half-backs were smart and sharp.

Only a friendly, but Adam Byrne won't want to find himself at No 13 too often and Dave K will have to get used to the physicality of real tackling and being tackled.

Impressed by the shape and pace of our rugby and really looking forward to The season and the maturing confidence within a talented, competitive Squad.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Laighin Break wrote:
Playing at 12. Read the sentence. Isa is coming to the end of his career and can do a job on the wing and at fb but a club the size of leinster should have the money to get a decent short term loan player in rather than putting isa in there.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

carlow man wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:
Playing at 12. Read the sentence. Isa is coming to the end of his career and can do a job on the wing and at fb but a club the size of leinster should have the money to get a decent short term loan player in rather than putting isa in there.
Even if that was the solution, it's not really Leinster's decision really. They don't have the final say.
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Great performance by Leinster, took Gloucester to the woodshed in nearly every area of the game. We played lovely rugby, as good as we we played in any game that didn't count last season
I have Bumbleflex