Pre-season friendlies

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Yes, they had a choice, they simply didn't have to post it. Who was going to force them?
Nobody, but clearly it would have been poor form to say there were highlights on the way and then not show them.

And they couldn't say they didn't have footage because that would have been a lie...and they couldn't say that they weren't allowed to post the footage they have. Hence the sh!t video they posted. It's all fairly logical even if you don't agree with it.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

simonokeeffe wrote:First game cant come soon enough
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Yes, they had a choice, they simply didn't have to post it. Who was going to force them?
Nobody, but clearly it would have been poor form to say there were highlights on the way and then not show them.

And they couldn't say they didn't have footage because that would have been a lie...and they couldn't say that they weren't allowed to post the footage they have. Hence the sh!t video they posted. It's all fairly logical even if you don't agree with it.
Poor form or fibs doesn't come in to it. If a communication portrays the organisation in a bad light you simply don't issue it. You don't run on a misfield, you don't skip on an overlap and you don't issue any message that doesn't reflect the organisation positively. Leinster have told varying degrees of porky to supporters regularly for years without even thinking twice!
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Well they do come into it because they all fed into why the video was posted, just because you disagree with the reasons doesn't mean that they didn't exist.

I can absolutely see why they felt they had to get something out. I think you're massively exaggerating the negative impact of the video too, it's just highlights of a pre season friendly, I doubt too many people care about the poor quality.
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

You don't run on a misfield, you don't skip on an overlap ...

Dave do you have a tune to go with these fine lyrics (and sentiments), think there could be the bones a hit parade song here!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Well they do come into it because they all fed into why the video was posted, just because you disagree with the reasons doesn't mean that they didn't exist.

I can absolutely see why they felt they had to get something out. I think you're massively exaggerating the negative impact of the video too, it's just highlights of a pre season friendly, I doubt too many people care about the poor quality.

Yes, because thats how professionalism works - half ass the small things and the big things will look after themselves.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Too you longer than usual to resort fully to the strawman, but at least I know we're done now.
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

You don't run on a misfield, you don't skip on an overlap...

To the tune of Petula Clark's "don't sleep in the subway"...earworm!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Too you longer than usual to resort fully to the strawman, but at least I know we're done now.
Ah the 'strawman', usually you pull that one out a lot earlier. But in fairness you are trying to defend the indefensible
I have Bumbleflex
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

I know it's only pre season but Deegan has a nice collection of tries to his name.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Excellent win, particularly the given the fact Bath had a good team out.
Some incredible talent coming through atm.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote:Excellent win, particularly the given the fact Bath had a good team out.
Some incredible talent coming through atm.
+1 tonight was a much sterner test than last week's and jaysus James Ryan is big and puts it about.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The number and frequency of substitutions in the second half made this more of an opposed training session than a competitive game, in the second forty.

The first half was a contest and barring our line-outs, Leinster threatened everywhere but Bath were much more cohesive in defence than Gloucester last week.

Our back three were very focused and each did good things although Larmour was well marked with few opportunities to shine. The O'Brien mid-field combination was excellent and the only pity is they didn't get toswork with Carbury.

JGP shaded McCarthy in distribution but Nick Mc is a much better kicker. Ross Byrne was efficient and distributed well.

Ed Byrne had an excellent half in scrum and loose and his footwork adds real line breaking ability to any Leinster pack. Ml Bent had another good workhorse outing. Mick Kearney gave 40 mins of top level work including some good carries.

The back-row of Doris, Connors and Deegan were superb and Connors in his 40 mins certainly shaded Jordi Murphy's second-half contribution.

But the stars of the eveningg were undoubtedly Joey Carbury and James Ryan. Both were as good, or better, than promised last season and they both represent individual reasons to buy a Season Ticket. Descriptions do not do them justice but think of what you expect from a world class outhalf or second -row, and both these players can perform to that standard. Hyperbole, certainly. Unwarranted, not IMO.

Weaknesses? Our line-out yet again looked sloppy. Our defensive maul was schooled on a couple of occasions. Our defensive exits are higher risk than need be.

But going forward, creating line-breaks, clearing out, clever offloads, supporting runners. These were the skills that Leinster demonstrated with elan. Defensively we tackled and hit like a mean machine. Fascinating season ahead.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

two words... Joey's back... I know it was just a pre-season... but wow !!
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The number and frequency of substitutions in the second half made this more of an opposed training session than a competitive game, in the second forty.

The first half was a contest and barring our line-outs, Leinster threatened everywhere but Bath were much more cohesive in defence than Gloucester last week.

Our back three were very focused and each did good things although Larmour was well marked with few opportunities to shine. The O'Brien mid-field combination was excellent and the only pity is they didn't get toswork with Carbury.

JGP shaded McCarthy in distribution but Nick Mc is a much better kicker. Ross Byrne was efficient and distributed well.

Ed Byrne had an excellent half in scrum and loose and his footwork adds real line breaking ability to any Leinster pack. Ml Bent had another good workhorse outing. Mick Kearney gave 40 mins of top level work including some good carries.

The back-row of Doris, Connors and Deegan were superb and Connors in his 40 mins certainly shaded Jordi Murphy's second-half contribution.

But the stars of the eveningg were undoubtedly Joey Carbury and James Ryan. Both were as good, or better, than promised last season and they both represent individual reasons to buy a Season Ticket. Descriptions do not do them justice but think of what you expect from a world class outhalf or second -row, and both these players can perform to that standard. Hyperbole, certainly. Unwarranted, not IMO.

Weaknesses? Our line-out yet again looked sloppy. Our defensive maul was schooled on a couple of occasions. Our defensive exits are higher risk than need be.

But going forward, creating line-breaks, clearing out, clever offloads, supporting runners. These were the skills that Leinster demonstrated with elan. Defensively we tackled and hit like a mean machine. Fascinating season ahead.
Agree with 95% of that....excellent synopsis
But thought our lineout was much improved second half, we didn't lose 1 if I'm not mistaken
Thought connors certainly shaded Murphy alright but like Cronin, who I thought showed some nice touches ( beautiful line and offload to James Ryan for break) Murphy has played 40 mins in 9 months

It's border line outrageous our back row stocks...Doris I'll say it now will play for Ireland in next 3 years!!!!..thought he was brilliant
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The number and frequency of substitutions in the second half made this more of an opposed training session than a competitive game, in the second forty.

Overall a much better summary than mine above, however the fact that our scrum was very much on the back foot with moloney and Kearney the engine room and was at least inching backwards in the second half leaves room for concern.
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Joey jo jo junior shabadoo
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Very happy with the performance but I also thought that Bath were fairly poor. We do look to be a well coached side though. That really stood out to me. Especially at our defensive realignment at times. And there's a real hunger to get on the ball. Thought Ross Byrne had great variety to his game and for me Connors was the stand out forward.

Some lovely skills from Joey at times though. Great vision for his kick through for Daves try (who himself showed great wheels to take it). But this I thought was outrageous. Ferg takes a crappy ball, but rather than go to deck kept it moving. And Joey took cr@p ball and made it work. See here after it comes back towards the stand.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

molloyjh wrote:Very happy with the performance but I also thought that Bath were fairly poor. We do look to be a well coached side though. That really stood out to me. Especially at our defensive realignment at times. And there's a real hunger to get on the ball. Thought Ross Byrne had great variety to his game and for me Connors was the stand out forward.

Some lovely skills from Joey at times though. Great vision for his kick through for Daves try (who himself showed great wheels to take it). But this I thought was outrageous. Ferg takes a crappy ball, but rather than go to deck kept it moving. And Joey took cr@p ball and made it work. See here after it comes back towards the stand.
Oooohhhh that's a lovely bit of reaction and skill