18. Oisín Heffernan
19. Oisín Dowling
20. Peadar Timmins
21. Charlie Rock
22. Noel Reid
23. Hugo Keenan
24. Barry Daly
25. Peter Dooley

Hard to see this as much more than a pre-season for the B&I team. Not many of that squad will feature regularly in the league this season.
Was tempted to actually go to the game (leaving for South France on holiday tomorrow) but Friday makes it impossible. Not sure why they scheduled it for a Friday?
Last edited by curates_egg on August 10th, 2017, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Post by Cathalsmart »

Disagree, with how attritional the league is i'd say a lot of this team will get a few caps atleast. Interesting to see that they view Ed Byrne as a leader.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Cathalsmart wrote:Disagree, with how attritional the league is i'd say a lot of this team will get a few caps atleast. Interesting to see that they view Ed Byrne as a leader.
Oh, I'd say more than half will definitely get caps...but only around 7 or 8 will feature more than once or twice, and of them only 3 or 4 will likely play regular squad roles.
It's good for them all to get a hit out and I assume we will see some more central squad players in the other games.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster Rugby:

15. Jordan Larmour(20)
14. Adam Byrne(23)
13. Jimmy O’Brien(20)
12. Tom Daly(24)
11. Ian Fitzpatrick(22)
10. Cathal Marsh(25)
9. Nick McCarthy(22)
1. Ed Byrne(23) CAPTAIN
2. Bryan Byrne(23)
3. Jeremy Loughman(22)
4. Mick Kearney(26)
5. Ian Nagle(28)
6. Josh Murphy(22)
7. Will Connors(21)
8. Max Deegan(20)

Replacements

16. Sean McNulty(21)
17. Vakh Abdaladze(21)
18. Oisín Heffernan(22)
19. Oisín Dowling(20)
20. Peadar Timmins(23)
21. Charlie Rock(22)
22. Noel Reid(27)
23. Hugo Keenan(21)
24. Barry Daly(24)
25. Peter Dooley(23)

Average age of starting backline is 22.2
Average age of starting pack is 23.1
Average age of 25 man squad: 22.6

Youngest player: Oisin Dowling
Oldest player: Ian Nagle

12 players in the academy, 13 players on senior contracts.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on August 10th, 2017, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Just realised this is - finally - a revenge match for that dark day in 2003.
Suddenly took on a whole new level of importance.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Who does anyone reckon will Have a break out season out of this group a la R O'Loughlin last year (Excluding guys with plenty of caps.

Given what opportunities are available Larmour might get a few starts at FB/Wing
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

R-Dog wrote:Who does anyone reckon will Have a break out season out of this group a la R O'Loughlin last year (Excluding guys with plenty of caps.

Given what opportunities are available Larmour might get a few starts at FB/Wing
Daly will have a pretty good opportunity.
Byrne (hooker) and one of the tightheads should have a good opportunity as well.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

curates_egg wrote:
Cathalsmart wrote:Disagree, with how attritional the league is i'd say a lot of this team will get a few caps atleast. Interesting to see that they view Ed Byrne as a leader.
Oh, I'd say more than half will definitely get caps...but only around 7 or 8 will feature more than once or twice, and of them only 3 or 4 will likely play regular squad roles.
It's good for them all to get a hit out and I assume we will see some more central squad players in the other games.
In the pack bar Connors (promising player but needs a little more bulk to play at this level competitively) I think the pack will get game time (J.Murphy being in year 3 I could see getting a few chances during international period, he's 6'5 so he surely could offer the team something granted I cant see him being any more than a Dominic Ryan).

Backline : I honestly could see Nick McCarthy overtaking JGP if he continues on his path, was very impressed with his control, maturity and composure in his appearances last season, could see him going on a very similar path to Luke McGrath (Ironically like him started for the U20's a year before his time and then captained at his time) Marsh at the moment is on borrowed time, could see him getting game time during the internationals but bar that would need injuries to get in. Jimmy I definitely see getting game time, potential the breakout player of the year, Daly will offer something because of his height but this is last chance saloon. The back three all will get game time I'm sure, liked what I saw from Fitz for the Ireland 7's and Larmour imo is a Lion in 2021 if he keeps on improving.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Im thinking between Deegan,Fitzpatrick,J.O'Brien,Larmour,Loughman they would be my top 5 in random order
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Cathalsmart wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
In the pack bar Connors (promising player but needs a little more bulk to play at this level competitively) I think the pack will get game time (J.Murphy being in year 3 I could see getting a few chances during international period, he's 6'5 so he surely could offer the team something granted I cant see him being any more than a Dominic Ryan).

Backline : I honestly could see Nick McCarthy overtaking JGP if he continues on his path, was very impressed with his control, maturity and composure in his appearances last season, could see him going on a very similar path to Luke McGrath (Ironically like him started for the U20's a year before his time and then captained at his time) Marsh at the moment is on borrowed time, could see him getting game time during the internationals but bar that would need injuries to get in. Jimmy I definitely see getting game time, potential the breakout player of the year, Daly will offer something because of his height but this is last chance saloon. The back three all will get game time I'm sure, liked what I saw from Fitz for the Ireland 7's and Larmour imo is a Lion in 2021 if he keeps on improving.
Excellent post, totally agree with all of it. Larmour could break through, he was the biggest backline talent I've seen at schools level since Luke Fitzgerald. He just needs to mind his body as he's had a couple of serious injuries already and while bulky isn't the tallest.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Conor O'Brien conspicuous by his absence. Many pipping to see him play some sort of role with the injuries isn't included
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Conor O'Brien conspicuous by his absence. Many pipping to see him play some sort of role with the injuries isn't included
He is injured afaik
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Bit worried that Jamie, Jordie, and the Kearneys are all missing. After their layoffs I expected some of them to be back for this one. I know we've a big squad and more games to play but would still like a couple of them to have been raring to go already.

Interesting that Larmour is at 15 too. With Rob back soon (I assume) and Lowe not arriving for a while, I thought we'd see him on the wing.

Seriously talented side though, if the front five do their job then the rest of the side is brilliant.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Seriously talented side though, if the front five do their job then the rest of the side is brilliant.
Marsh leaves a lot to be desired.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Bit worried that Jamie, Jordie, and the Kearneys are all missing. After their layoffs I expected some of them to be back for this one. I know we've a big squad and more games to play but would still like a couple of them to have been raring to go already.

Interesting that Larmour is at 15 too. With Rob back soon (I assume) and Lowe not arriving for a while, I thought we'd see him on the wing.

Seriously talented side though, if the front five do their job then the rest of the side is brilliant.
That could be with their expected workload in mind
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Beaten 42-32. We were leading 32-25 with ten minutes to go. Tries from Ed and Bryan Byrne, Tom Daly and Cathal Marsh. Marsh added two penalties and three conversions.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

cormac wrote:Beaten 42-32. We were leading 32-25 with ten minutes to go. Tries from Ed and Bryan Byrne, Tom Daly and Cathal Marsh. Marsh added two penalties and three conversions.
Considering such a callow squad, not a bad result... I imaging Perpignan released the 'big guns' for the final quarter
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Bad result for pre-season.This is ProD2 opposition and not particularly fancied for promotion in that Division. Despite our 'callow youth', handing any opposition two intercept tries does not augur well. Hopefully we didn't just go down there to show off the "style" of Leinster Rugby.

This season has got to be about substance, not style and we should play every match with the view that winning is the first essential and conceding points an absolute no-no. 42 points against is not the season start I wanted.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Jaysus it was just a run our for the kids relax, their were a lot of issues with structure and alot of mistakes which is what you'd expect from a young team thrown together.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Three tries for three County Carlow FC lads is something I'll be happy about anyway!