Willie Duggan 1950 - 2017 R.I.P.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Willie Duggan 1950 - 2017 R.I.P.

Post by Dave Cahill »

Former Ireland international Willie Duggan has sadly passed away at the age of 67 in his home in Dunmore, Kilkenny from a suspected heart attack.

He won 41 caps for Ireland, the first in 1975 and finished his international career in 1984 as captain. Duggan toured New Zealand in 1977 with the British & Irish Lions and at the time played club rugby for Blackrock College RFC.

He was regarded by many as one of the best No.8 forwards of his time, this was despite not enjoying training and being a heavy smoker.

After retiring from the game Mr Duggan joined the family lighting firm, Willie Duggan Lighting, the third generation of the Duggan family to be involved in the business.

Under his leadership the Kilkenny-based company has grown to become one of the leading lighting companies in the country serving both the residential and commercial markets.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Willie Duggan 1950 - 2017 R.I.P.

Post by Flash Gordon »

Sad news, the man was hard as nails and more than a little bit nuts. Will always remember the story of him smoking as he took the field for an international against France!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Willie was a seriously tough nut; what these days we'd call an enforcer. Could shift the momentum of a Test match all on his own. Unforgettable!!!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Very sad, RIP.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Flash Gordon wrote:Sad news, the man was hard as nails and more than a little bit nuts. Will always remember the story of him smoking as he took the field for an international against France!
So true about the fags. Willie was a generation older than me and a childhood hero of mine, especially as I also played at 8, and I remember waiting for his autograph after many international matches. As his career tapered down I got a chance to play against him once when he was with Kilkenny. I was beside myself with excitement and also very anxious. I was an imposter, so to speak, to be man-marking him.

Our team ran out and waited for the home team to join us. When they did, I was trying to be nonchalant and warm up like everyone else, but all I was doing was looking to the dressing rooms for the great man. I expected him to be last out as he always was, but...no sign. I was gutted, he must have pulled out...then, there he was stepping one foot out of the sheds into the daylight...he took a big drag and flicked the fag away to trundle onto the pitch.

I can't remember who won that day 30 years ago this year, but I do remember that moment and the awkward one in the clubhouse after the game when I sought him out and embarrassed him in front of his mates with a gushing expression of respect and thanks for the 'honour of playing against him' before thrusting out my hand for a shake which required him to conjure his pint and fag...but shake we did.

RIP Willie. The word legend will sit comfortably in all the articles and obituaries written about you in the days ahead.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Nice tribute br8
I have Bumbleflex
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Am old enough and lucky enough to have seen Willie play many times for both Leinster and Ireland. The phrase “legend” is used too quickly these days but Willie truly was one. The widespread respect he gained in NZ during the 1977 Lions tour isn’t easily earned.
His death notice sums up the man perfectly “Willie would have wanted a party, so a celebration of his life will take place at his home from 4p.m. to 8p.m. on Wednesday, please dress colourfully (not in black)”.
Unfortunately we won’t see his like again.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

backrower8 wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:Sad news, the man was hard as nails and more than a little bit nuts. Will always remember the story of him smoking as he took the field for an international against France!
So true about the fags. Willie was a generation older than me and a childhood hero of mine, especially as I also played at 8, and I remember waiting for his autograph after many international matches. As his career tapered down I got a chance to play against him once when he was with Kilkenny. I was beside myself with excitement and also very anxious. I was an imposter, so to speak, to be man-marking him.

Our team ran out and waited for the home team to join us. When they did, I was trying to be nonchalant and warm up like everyone else, but all I was doing was looking to the dressing rooms for the great man. I expected him to be last out as he always was, but...no sign. I was gutted, he must have pulled out...then, there he was stepping one foot out of the sheds into the daylight...he took a big drag and flicked the fag away to trundle onto the pitch.

I can't remember who won that day 30 years ago this year, but I do remember that moment and the awkward one in the clubhouse after the game when I sought him out and embarrassed him in front of his mates with a gushing expression of respect and thanks for the 'honour of playing against him' before thrusting out my hand for a shake which required him to conjure his pint and fag...but shake we did.

RIP Willie. The word legend will sit comfortably in all the articles and obituaries written about you in the days ahead.
Class: him and your obit memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Playing against him for the guts of a decade and they didn't come any tougher. A decade later when I was coaching and asked him to come and do a session with our back-row he spent a hour on the pitch and an hour in the clubhouse with them.

Made of pure granite on the pitch and played in a Rock & Leinster back-row with Slatts and Des Hanrahan and with Slats & John O'Driscoll for Ireland. At his best he had as good a rugby brain as any, allied to a physique which was unique - think Heaslip with sharp edges.

We will not see his like again, but gone too young.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Tony Ward on his ex-Ireland teammate: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/t ... 79144.html
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

The Willie Duggan stories continued to accumulate over the weekend.

Peter O'Reilly had a brillinat one from Willie himself in the ST about how in 1977, post the Lions tour, he travelled home solo via Hong Kong. Standing in nothing but a pair of shoes and rugby shorts in sweltering heat at the hotel reception desk, Willie put 3 sheepkins he was holding on the counter. The Hotel receptionist asks Willie if he is a big game hunter...Willie says 'no' but the guy keeps insisting and pointing at Willie's back. Then Willie cops why the guy thinks he is a hunter. Sheepkins plus the rake marks on his back post the last test against the ABs...the guy thought Willie had been mauled by a bear!

Another ex-rugby guy at EP yesterday had a story of Willie in an altercation in a bar. Some guy is holding Willie's index finger and bending it back viciously. Willie's response is: "OK, you can do that all you want...but when I hear the crack (break), then I am going to hit you!" His finger was quickly released.

O'Reilly also had the saddest epitaph of all that I had already heard last week, through his nephew (who also played a hard backrow game), that Willie dd not die of a heart attack. He had had a fall the week before and broke 5 ribs in the process but wouldn't get it seen to. He died of an anyeurism. His toughness may ultimately have been his downfall.

Ar dheis de go raibh a ainm.