Dragons v Leinster Saturday 3.15 Sky Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Dragons v Leinster Saturday 3.15 Sky Sports

Post by riocard911 »

Re COYBIB's "I thought Fardy was immense on his debut. His counter rucking was top class, he was driving people back in the tackle, his clearing out was great...it was one of those muscular, enforcer type performances in the row we haven't seen since the likes of Hines or Thorn were in blue. Very promising, I think we need one of those really physical and busy second rows to complement Toner. Hopefully James Ryan picks up a lot from him during his time here, but really hope Fardy can fill that role for us."

Agree. But it wasn't just Fardy. I was struck throughout the whole match by the intent of our whole pack, the way they tackled, hit rucks etc., to put the opposition eight seriously under the cosh. The ability to do this has been missing the last few seasons, IMO. If we can raise this aspect of our game, then we are serious contenders for silverware and there'll be no rolling over at home to likes of the effin' Scarlets!!!!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

dropkick wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Excellent start. Nearly everyone had a useful to good game. Exceptions being ROL and the replacement front row. Fardy, Deegan and Healy were prominent early and made the physical statement needed. Isa and JGP kept the pace up and they payed off in drawing the traditional Dragons sting over there. Good to get the max points away from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RO'L made a few mistakes but I thought he was close numerous times to opening up the Dragons defence.
I think ROL is a very good player, but it just didn't work for him on Saturday. It was a good platform for him, but while he was close on a few occasions; it was ultimately no cigar.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

Was Carbery injured?
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I've made reference to VDF and his 80 minute engine before. But it really is impressive.

He's clearly tasked with leading the defensive line and the speed in which he got up was great, when he wasn't making the hit he was pressuring them into a poor pass.

Conan a class above at times. The way he released Ryan for his 50m gain was deadly and the little sleight of hand to give Leavy his try was lovely to watch
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:I've made reference to VDF and his 80 minute engine before. But it really is impressive.

He's clearly tasked with leading the defensive line and the speed in which he got up was great, when he wasn't making the hit he was pressuring them into a poor pass.

Conan a class above at times. The way he released Ryan for his 50m gain was deadly and the little sleight of hand to give Leavy his try was lovely to watch
VDF's speed over the first 5 yards is incredible. Must be one of the quickest in the squad. Very aggressive too, he gave Henson a bit of a mare a few times.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

I'm not sure this was discussed, maybe others wont share the opinion, but the replacement front row had a rough old time against Dragons replacement front row.

Unfortunately for the likes of Porter, as great a player as he is, and he would be an international level loose head in no time, Healy count your blessings, but it's going to be long road to become an international tight head. I hope he sees a lot of game time in the league this season. It's hard to fathom Michael Bent is our second choice tight-head, so there is a big gap there that needs filling and a big opportunity for him. I think just seeing what an athlete he is and the power he poses, it's just a matter of technique and game minutes, so I think he deserves a lot of patience.

It's rough to say, but I'm not sure if I'm convinced by either of the Byrne brothers. I know they've both had disruptions with injury, but I think they came with a level of hype and I've just never really been blow away. I think Healy coming back into form will be one thing, but Ian Porter looks to have a bit more potential already.

Tracy I was probably unconvinced by for a while, but he's growing on me, not sure if he'll ever become top class, but at least a solid squad player. Shame Strauss seems to be struggling. Maybe his previous condition has had a lasting effect, would be a terrible shame, be he never seems to have found his form again since coming back, it makes Cronin such a crucial player for us now and to keep fit, I don't think we have quality back-up.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

COYBIB wrote:I'm not sure this was discussed, maybe others wont share the opinion, but the replacement front row had a rough old time against Dragons replacement front row.

Unfortunately for the likes of Porter, as great a player as he is, and he would be an international level loose head in no time, Healy count your blessings, but it's going to be long road to become an international tight head. I hope he sees a lot of game time in the league this season. It's hard to fathom Michael Bent is our second choice tight-head, so there is a big gap there that needs filling and a big opportunity for him. I think just seeing what an athlete he is and the power he poses, it's just a matter of technique and game minutes, so I think he deserves a lot of patience.

It's rough to say, but I'm not sure if I'm convinced by either of the Byrne brothers. I know they've both had disruptions with injury, but I think they came with a level of hype and I've just never really been blow away. I think Healy coming back into form will be one thing, but Ian Porter looks to have a bit more potential already.

Tracy I was probably unconvinced by for a while, but he's growing on me, not sure if he'll ever become top class, but at least a solid squad player. Shame Strauss seems to be struggling. Maybe his previous condition has had a lasting effect, would be a terrible shame, be he never seems to have found his form again since coming back, it makes Cronin such a crucial player for us now and to keep fit, I don't think we have quality back-up.
A fair assessment of the current situation in the front row, IMO. Great to see Ciano getting back to his former self. Was impressive on the IRL summer tour and continued vs Dragons where he left off in Japan. Go Church!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

COYBIB wrote:I'm not sure this was discussed, maybe others wont share the opinion, but the replacement front row had a rough old time against Dragons replacement front row.

Possibly under-rating Bent who has consistently worked on his scrummaging and handling since he arrived in Ireland. Always well rated by Feek and nobody gets any change from his scrum. Got a lousy press when he arrived, as Irish qualified by family, but NZ developed to NPC standard as a 23 year-old. He is a quality operator who survived behind Rossy and never shirked a challenge but helped Tadgh improve to Lions quality.

Inclined to agreement about the Byrne brothers to date but its early days yet for front-row forwards of their youthful vintage.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

Possibly under-rating Bent who has consistently worked on his scrummaging and handling since he arrived in Ireland. Always well rated by Feek and nobody gets any change from his scrum. Got a lousy press when he arrived, as Irish qualified by family, but NZ developed to NPC standard as a 23 year-old. He is a quality operator who survived behind Rossy and never shirked a challenge but helped Tadgh improve to Lions quality.

Inclined to agreement about the Byrne brothers to date but its early days yet for front-row forwards of their youthful vintage.
Seems to me that it was very difficult for Bent when chances were few and far between and he'd get dropped into the team and asked to perform to a high level. He appears to have come on a lot in the scrum, which was/is probably helped a lot by consistent gametime. The nature of the Japan tour allowed the coaches to give a bit more weighting to potential when they were making selections, which meant that Porter got in ahead of him. However, I think Bent is the better option at the moment for Leinster. He's a reliable operator now, whereas before I was a bit concerned if he was in the 23.

Bryan Byrne's progress has stalled a bit. I suppose coaches' preferences play a big part. MOC preferred Byrne to Tracy, whereas under Cullen, Tracy has got the opportunities. Bryne's throwing not being very good has been highlighted, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

I think Ed Byrne could have a very high ceiling if he can stay fit. His handling is excellent. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on over the next two or three weeks.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Totally agree on Bent - I think he has been very solid for the last few seasons at TH - very reliable in a position where reliability is key.
Four Stars
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Bryan Byrne can't throw, if he was a consistent lineout thrower he might have a chance of progressing, but he isn't and never has been.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:Bryan Byrne can't throw, if he was a consistent lineout thrower he might have a chance of progressing, but he isn't and never has been.
Can any Irish hookers throw?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

curates_egg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Bryan Byrne can't throw, if he was a consistent lineout thrower he might have a chance of progressing, but he isn't and never has been.
Scannell can seemingly.

Heard Leinster were trying to bring in a consultant coach from england to help with lineout throwing.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Sounds like a job for Dylan Hartley. The England & N'hampton captain may have other deficiencies in his game, but his throwing is invariably top notch!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Wrong thread!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Scannell can seemingly.

Heard Leinster were trying to bring in a consultant coach from england to help with lineout throwing.
I sincerely hope that's not the reason Ibanez was at training
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

riocard911 wrote:Sounds like a job for Dylan Hartley. The England & N'hampton captain may have other deficiencies in his game, but his throwing is invariably top notch!!!
He usually has a 4 to 6 week window during the season for consultant work.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

COYBIB wrote:
riocard911 wrote:Sounds like a job for Dylan Hartley. The England & N'hampton captain may have other deficiencies in his game, but his throwing is invariably top notch!!!
He usually has a 4 to 6 week window during the season for consultant work.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:
Apparently not. Last night was another smorgasbord of way to chuck it in to mess up what should be on jumping and lifting pods a reliable dominant line out.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"