Dragons v Leinster Saturday 3.15 Sky Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Dragons v Leinster Saturday 3.15 Sky Sports

Post by wixfjord »

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new league, and I’m feeling…well pretty underwhelmed actually, but the big kick off is upon us.

Given the fractured team we’re likely to put out, there are a few potential banana skins on the way, starting with this.
Word today is that we’ll get a few Irish guys back, could do with the likes or Ruddock and ROL.

Possible sides?

Byrne, Cronin, Bent, Fardy, Molony, Ruddock, Murphy, Deegan, JGP, Carbery, Byrne, Isa, ROL, MCF, Kearney
Heffernan, McNulty, Porter, Ryan, Connors, McCarthy, Byrne, Larmour
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Dragons v Leinster Saturday 3.15 Sky Sports

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new league, and I’m feeling…well pretty underwhelmed actually, but the big kick off is upon us.

Given the fractured team we’re likely to put out, there are a few potential banana skins on the way, starting with this.
Word today is that we’ll get a few Irish guys back, could do with the likes or Ruddock and ROL.

Possible sides?

Byrne, Cronin, Bent, Fardy, Molony, Ruddock, Murphy, Deegan, JGP, Carbery, Byrne, Isa, ROL, MCF, Kearney
Nice selection. Re "could do with the likes of" I wouldn't mind seeing Ciano starting with EB on the bench. He played a stormer in the summer tour matches.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

My team would be

1. Ed Byrne 2. Sean Cronin 3. Michael Bent 4. Ross Molony 5. James Ryan 6. Scott Fardy 7. Jordi Murphy 8. Max Deegan
9. Jamison Gibson-Park 10. Ross Byrne 11. Dave Kearney/Jordan Larmour (If Kearney is fit and available as he apparently had something up with his groin last week), if not than Larmour 12. Isa Nacewa 13. Jimmy O'Brien 14. Adam Byrne 15. Rob Kearney

16. Sean McNulty 17 Vahk Abdeladze 18 Andrew Porter 19 Ian Nagle 20 Will Connors 21 Nick McCarthy 22 Joey Carbery 23 Jordan Larmour/Barry Daly
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cathalsmart wrote:My team would be

1. Ed Byrne 2. Sean Cronin 3. Michael Bent 4. Ross Molony 5. James Ryan 6. Scott Fardy 7. Jordi Murphy 8. Max Deegan
9. Jamison Gibson-Park 10. Ross Byrne 11. Dave Kearney/Jordan Larmour (If Kearney is fit and available as he apparently had something up with his groin last week), if not than Larmour 12. Isa Nacewa 13. Jimmy O'Brien 14. Adam Byrne 15. Rob Kearney

16. Sean McNulty 17 Vahk Abdeladze 18 Andrew Porter 19 Ian Nagle 20 Will Connors 21 Nick McCarthy 22 Joey Carbery 23 Jordan Larmour/Barry Daly
Fardy isnt allowed play in the backrow, even if we close our eyes and really really believe he can

Will be interesting to see which side he packs down on
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

On the assumption that Leo, Girv and Bomber had a plan in mind for the three pre-season games and subject to limited interference from on high and no more more undisclosed injuries, the team might look like:
15. R Kearney, 14. Adam Byrne, 13. Jimmy O'Brien, 12. Isa, 11. Dave Kearney, 10. Joey Carbury, 9. JGP. 8. Max Deegan, 7. Jordi Murphy, 6. Josh Murphy, 5. Scott Fardy, 4. ian Nagle, 3. Ml Bent, 2. Sean Cronin, 1. Ed Byrne.

The above supposes that Peter Dooley is unavailable due to injury. The bench could contain players we haven't yet seen so is very difficult to assess.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

riocard911 wrote:
Cathalsmart wrote:
wixfjord wrote:It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new league, and I’m feeling…well pretty underwhelmed actually, but the big kick off is upon us.

Possible sides?

Getting the excuses in nice and early, injuries yes but our team is still better than most team's we will face for awhile.
Blaming injuries is an indication that it's believed the side we have out isn't good enough to win, people complain about the injuries at centre but honestly I could play at centre on Saturday, it's Dragons ffs. It is a potential banana skin yes but if the team available has their head screwed on they should win with abit to spare and the fact most are young rotation/ second string players they will feel they have a point to prove which will bring down the risk of complacency whereas if we had loads of first team players out they might take the win as a given (I.e Cardiff at the RDS last year).

Dear Cathalsmart, insinuating that anyone who points out potential banana-skins is making pre-match excuses is unfair. This idée fixe you have is already getting tiring and the season hasn't even officially started, so perhaps you could drop it and be a little bit more charitable to the other members of the forum in your choice of words.

After what transpired at Leinster's last match in the RDS, there cannot be enough warnings against underestimating our opponents. I for one have as yet not quite recovered from the shock of that particular Friday night outing.

For your information, I too would like to see Leinster go undefeated this season in the Pro 14 and ERCC and do a double similar to what Sarries did 2015/2016. I fully agree with you that Leinster have the means to do this. A bit of luck and solid support from the fans and the dream we both share will come true!!!!
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

simonokeeffe wrote:

Fardy isnt allowed play in the backrow, even if we close our eyes and really really believe he can

We literally have 3 probable options at BR (4 if Josh M is available). Only for a game or 2 I'd have Scott there but once players id move him back into the Row.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:On the assumption that Leo, Girv and Bomber had a plan in mind for the three pre-season games and subject to limited interference from on high and no more more undisclosed injuries, the team might look like:
15. R Kearney, 14. Adam Byrne, 13. Jimmy O'Brien, 12. Isa, 11. Dave Kearney, 10. Joey Carbury, 9. JGP. 8. Max Deegan, 7. Jordi Murphy, 6. Josh Murphy, 5. Scott Fardy, 4. ian Nagle, 3. Ml Bent, 2. Sean Cronin, 1. Ed Byrne.

The above supposes that Peter Dooley is unavailable due to injury. The bench could contain players we haven't yet seen so is very difficult to assess.
Ferg on the wing and Adam Byrne to the centre is a likely alternative.

I can't see why we would want to see Carbury starting at out half.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought Ferg's defence on the wing was very good on Friday but he showed nothing in attack. Adam didn't either really but he looked a bit lost in the centre against Gloucester. Not that he was all over the place, just struggled to get involved. Admittedly he was a late replacement.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cathalsmart wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

We literally have 3 probable options at BR (4 if Josh M is available). Only for a game or 2 I'd have Scott there but once players id move him back into the Row.
Good for you but it was part of the deal (with the IRFU) that he only play lock. You may as well name SOB at 6 Sexton at 10 and BOD at 13
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

We literally have 3 probable options at BR (4 if Josh M is available). Only for a game or 2 I'd have Scott there but once players id move him back into the Row.[/quote]

You mean like Taute was signed to be a fullback.... True he was signed as a second row but the first game's of the season are difficult as with so many BR players getting selected for Ireland & Lions we will have to adapt and playing Fardy at 6 is a way of adapting here. Now I was assuming that Josh Murphy was injured, if not id play him at 6 with Jordi & Deegan at 7 & 8 respectively with maybe Connors on the bench and i'd move Fardy to 5 with Molony at 4 with Ryan at 19 with Nagle dropping out.
Good for you but it was part of the deal (with the IRFU) that he only play lock. You may as well name SOB at 6 Sexton at 10 and BOD at 13[/quote]
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cathalsmart wrote:We literally have 3 probable options at BR (4 if Josh M is available). Only for a game or 2 I'd have Scott there but once players id move him back into the Row.
You mean like Taute was signed to be a fullback.... True he was signed as a second row but the first game's of the season are difficult as with so many BR players getting selected for Ireland & Lions we will have to adapt and playing Fardy at 6 is a way of adapting here. Now I was assuming that Josh Murphy was injured, if not id play him at 6 with Jordi & Deegan at 7 & 8 respectively with maybe Connors on the bench and i'd move Fardy to 5 with Molony at 4 with Ryan at 19 with Nagle dropping out.
Good for you but it was part of the deal (with the IRFU) that he only play lock. You may as well name SOB at 6 Sexton at 10 and BOD at 13[/quote][/quote]

Munster also signed Deysel as lock cover but we're the Tiffany to their Ivanka in the IRFU's eyes
No way we're breaking an agreement with the IRFU over a signing first game in

Theres also the likes of Doris and Timmins to cover backrow
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Cathalsmart wrote:We literally have 3 probable options at BR (4 if Josh M is available). Only for a game or 2 I'd have Scott there but once players id move him back into the Row.
Good for you but it was part of the deal (with the IRFU) that he only play lock. You may as well name SOB at 6 Sexton at 10 and BOD at 13
[/quote]

Munster also signed Deysel as lock cover but we're the Tiffany to their Ivanka in the IRFU's eyes
No way we're breaking an agreement with the IRFU over a signing first game in

Theres also the likes of Doris and Timmins to cover backrow[/quote]

Timmins is also injured, Doris is also there to be fair but I can't see us going for him unless we are absolutely stuck. I wouldn't pick Fardy in the BR unless it was an absolute emergency, we already have very little experience in the BR as it is with Jordi being the only one with significant experience Josh, W.Connors, C.Dorris have no caps and Deegan has very few so a little more experience is needed away from in a under developed ground (imo anyway) with sh!t weather in a fixture where we need to build some momentum. At home against most teams id happily play any of our current option's but away from home in the opening game we need some experience to go with the youth and while Jordi is experience and a great lad I still have to see if he is a leader and we need a leader in that BR which Fardy would provide based on what I've seen of him for the Wallabies plus him being at 6 would make our pack more mobile which would be very effective against a limited side like Dragons.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Never been more excited about a dragons match, looking forward to the end of the Summer and some proper rugby coming back
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

:lol:
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Apparently we'll have a few Irish tourists back, although I'd imagine that's more likely to be the likes of Tracy, Leavy and Luke Mc than Healy or Ruddock given the game time guys got in June. I'd guess we'll see something like:

Byrne Cronin Bent
Molony Fardy
Murphy Deegan Connors

JGP Byrne
McFadden O'Brien
Nacewa RK Byrne

Tracy, Abdaladze, Porter, Kearney, Leavy, McGrath, Carbery, Daly

Carbery on the bench because of player welfare rather than it being a reflection on where he stands in the squad.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Kearney ahead of Ryan? :lol:
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Larmour has to be involved, this is the perfect game for him to feature. Carbery ripped Dragons to shreds last year and I think Larmour is a very similar player and this could be the perfect game to announce himself on the big stage.
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

McFadden should never play in the centre again....great for the wing especially defensively but doesn't offer anything in attack. Isa at 12 while there are injuries (not as if going to be allowed sign a medical joker!)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Isa didn't train yesterday fwiw, neither did carbery it would appear.