Jack Conan - The most talented young No.8 in Keltia

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: Jack Conan - The most talented young No.8 in Keltia

Post by Laighin Break »

matt wrote:Even the top teams like the Crusaders or the Highlanders would like 8 back row players like Conan, O'Brien, Heaslip, Leavy, Van Der Flier, Ruddock, Jordi Murphy & Deegan. We also have Fardy an International back row in the second row.

Last season from the Munster away game Conan & Leavy were our best players & this season to be able to pick 3 on form each week from that 8 is a serious advantage. SOK is right it will be tempting to go for a 6-2 split on the bench & really try & exert pressure with the calibre of player we have available & also helped by the versatility in the backs of Luke McGrath, Carbery & Isa amongst others which might let us get away with only 2 backs on the bench. It would bring a new dimension to our unstructured style & the likes of Leavy, VDF, Deegan coming on in second half could create havoc.

Re Conan agree that he can make big impact as a starter with Ireland if injury free & selected.
I still haven't gotten over how Stander was awarded MOTM. The only position on the pitch where we were better.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Young is relative.
Jack is 25 and now at the age where he should (and is tbf) be establishing himself as first choice no. 8.
Max Deegan is young with huge potential.
Did Jack have the same potential when he was Deegan's age?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Peg Leg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Discuss.
He's no Parisse
He's a more powerful and explosive athlete than Parisse, albeit obviously not as skilful, influential or as good in the line-out.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Remember Max Deegan is still only 20.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

neiliog93 wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Discuss.
He's no Parisse
He's a more powerful and explosive athlete than Parisse, albeit obviously not as skilful, influential or as good in the line-out.
It was a jibe at the OP's authors renound appreciation of Sergio Parisse
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

IanD wrote:His underhand offload for Leavys try against Dragons was amazing. It was a thing of beauty.

If that was by an All Black it would have articles on The 42 about it and be all over the web.

I would put forward he is the most talented No. 8 in the whole wide Keltia but not the most experienced. I think he should be in every Leinster and Ireland team - player wellfare etc permitting - from now on to get the experience that will improve him for Japan 2019.
It was only the first game of the season but watched that underhand offload for Leavy's try against Dragons again today and agreed he made something that was very difficult look ridiculously simple. If Kieran Read had done that Sky would have discussed it for 10 mins & said he was the only one who could do that.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Oldschool wrote:Young is relative.
Jack is 25 and now at the age where he should (and is tbf) be establishing himself as first choice no. 8.
Probably. I remember Drico was on pundit/ commentary duty a few seasons back after an unbelievable Conan performance saying that these were the reasons Conan was earmarked early and fast tracked through the academy.

If you were able to get fast tracked through an academy overseen by Matt "what academy" O'Connor, you must have shown some potential
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Conan graduated academy early like Deegan.

I'd say at the same age, Conan was the more impressive athlete while Deegan than more impressive footballer.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Probably. I remember Drico was on pundit/ commentary duty a few seasons back after an unbelievable Conan performance saying that these were the reasons Conan was earmarked early and fast tracked through the academy.

If you were able to get fast tracked through an academy overseen by Matt "what academy" O'Connor, you must have shown some potential
iirc O'Connors track record with developing our academy forwards is actually pretty sound. Conan, Murphy and Furlong were brought through and featured reasonably prominently during his spell and I think he gave first caps to JvdF, Molony, Bryan Byrne. Jack McGrath was also uncapped internationally when he took over and was first choice for Ireland and a Lions probable by the time he left. His problem was that he seemed to avoid considering any players under 16st for any position.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ChrisUppy wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

iirc O'Connors track record with developing our academy forwards is actually pretty sound. Conan, Murphy and Furlong were brought through and featured reasonably prominently during his spell and I think he gave first caps to JvdF, Molony, Bryan Byrne. Jack McGrath was also uncapped internationally when he took over and was first choice for Ireland and a Lions probable by the time he left. His problem was that he seemed to avoid considering any players under 16st for any position.
MOC wasn't forwards coach though.. Gibbes/Leo were...
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

mildlyinterested wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote: Probably. I remember Drico was on pundit/ commentary duty a few seasons back after an unbelievable Conan performance saying that these were the reasons Conan was earmarked early and fast tracked through the academy.

MOC wasn't forwards coach though.. Gibbes/Leo were...
That's correct. And MOC was the head coach.

I fail to see your point
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ChrisUppy wrote: That's correct. And MOC was the head coach.

I fail to see your point
He wasn't coaching the forwards, therefore he has no record in developing them. Their development was down to other coaches.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:It was a jibe at the OP's authors renound appreciation of Sergio Parisse
He noticed but ignored you :P

I actually think that Parisse is amazingly talented, perhaps the most talented 8 of the professional era.

The possession of talent and the application of talent are two different things though.
I have Bumbleflex
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

mildlyinterested wrote:

I fail to see your point
He wasn't coaching the forwards, therefore he has no record in developing them. Their development was down to other coaches.
The head coach having absolutely zero input into the coaching and development of forwards? I think you must know that's total nonsense.
There's probably no point in drawing this out anyway, as I know you were the most ardent anti MOC poster back in the day.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ChrisUppy wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

I fail to see your point
The head coach having absolutely zero input into the coaching and development of forwards? I think you must know that's total nonsense.
There's probably no point in drawing this out anyway, as I know you were the most ardent anti MOC poster back in the day.
And I was proven right... he was a disaster for leinster rugby.

a truly awful hire.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

ChrisUppy wrote: iirc O'Connors track record with developing our academy forwards is actually pretty sound. Conan, Murphy and Furlong were brought through and featured reasonably prominently during his spell and I think he gave first caps to JvdF, Molony, Bryan Byrne. Jack McGrath was also uncapped internationally when he took over and was first choice for Ireland and a Lions probable by the time he left. His problem was that he seemed to avoid considering any players under 16st for any position.
That's a pretty fair assumption actually. Our pack was pretty decent under him/ Gibbes. Which is just as well as we were incapable of doing anything other than run off 9 until Mads could have a pop at goal when MOC was here
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

A strange part of me wishes Heaslip had taken a pay day move to France and left Conan as the starting number 8. That makes no sense, as Heaslip is an unbelievably good player and should probably play ahead of Conan still. Just about. It's tortuous to think we have to pick between the two though, and I don't see Conan as a 6.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote:
And I was proven right... he was a disaster for leinster rugby.

a truly awful hire.
You probably don't remember, but there used to be a kid on here called goreyguy. Loved MOC, loved him. Broke his heart when he left.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Will we be able to retain all the talent we bring through, both in the back-row and in general? (thinking Sexton/Carbury/Byrne riches also).
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

COYBIB wrote:Will we be able to retain all the talent we bring through, both in the back-row and in general? (thinking Sexton/Carbury/Byrne riches also).
Now that discussion, and its consequences, has been running for a few days on another thread!