Leinster v Cardiff Fri 8 Sep 19:35 TG4, BBC Wales

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Cardiff Fri 8 Sep 19:35 TG4, BBC Wales

Post by artaneboy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:On 65 mins, remark was made that it would be hard to find 10 mins highlights for the Pro14 package. Them 'Nugget' hits the afterburners from 45m, Barry Daly catches a kick-pass like Michael- Daragh McC and Conan, Porter, Conan, JVDF and Nick McCarthy pass like professional jugglers, to rescue the bonus point.

The highlights pack will be stuffed with those gems and not the awful kicking, passing and decision making of both half-backs for 60 mins. And yes, the package will contain the triple whammy of McGrath tackles on 66 mins. His commitment and fitness are never in doubt but he MUST improve the speed of his pass and the length of his kicks. McCarthy gave a pefect contrast with his exhibition in last 12 minutes.

Great result. Patchy performance.
Yeah, McGrath has everything a top class 9 needs- except the reliable, accurate, long pass. He is getting better at it, but there are frequent moments. Didn't help Ross Byrne- but then again Byrne didn't help himself either.

Thought McCarthy was good when he came on for Luke; he has that same spark around the breakdown, and a level of control in the basics above McGrath's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

COYBIB wrote:This must be our best start of a season in the professional era, can't remember us ever hitting the ground running in the league before, let alone two bonus point wins.
Closest to this was season 07/08 when we started with a win at home to Edinburgh and a bonus point win away to Cardiff
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

curates_egg wrote:
johng wrote:I'd say Toner will play 80 given he isn't traveling to SA. Fardy could be off at HT depending on the score.
I get that. But we will need Molony/Nagle or both in South Africa. Wouldn't it have made sense for one of them to get some gametime here alongside Dev and in a pack with Ruddock?
Only 4 changes is great for continuity but pretty unusual for us. I hope it doesn't mean some of those playing again tomorrow won't be on the plane to South Africa: Church would seem to be at risk there.
Fardy isn't traveling as I understand it. Wife expecting a baby pretty soon. Same situation as Toner.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

There are a lot of nits available for picking about Leinster's performance last night.
Here are the highlights?
Conan's awful pass to VDF for Mccarthy's try.
McGrath's lack of breaking.
Byrne's kick just before ht that fortuitously led to a peno.
Adam Byrne great takes in the air only to then knock on.
Knocking on in general.
ISA's YC clothesline tackle.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

CiaranIrl wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
johng wrote:I'd say Toner will play 80 given he isn't traveling to SA. Fardy could be off at HT depending on the score.
I get that. But we will need Molony/Nagle or both in South Africa. Wouldn't it have made sense for one of them to get some gametime here alongside Dev and in a pack with Ruddock?
Only 4 changes is great for continuity but pretty unusual for us. I hope it doesn't mean some of those playing again tomorrow won't be on the plane to South Africa: Church would seem to be at risk there.
Fardy isn't traveling as I understand it. Wife expecting a baby pretty soon. Same situation as Toner.
If that's true, that neither Toner nor Fardy, who has impressed in his first two league matches for us, will play in the away matches vs Kings and Cheetahs, then James Ryan's breakout moment in the blue jersey has arrived. Will he be up to the challenge? I'd be quietly confident....
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Blessed that Isa did not see a deserved red card. Thanks Homer
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote:Blessed that Isa did not see a deserved red card. Thanks Homer
Yup, shocked at that one myself
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Conan is surely undroppable with his current form, no matter what players are available now.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I really hope Ross Byrne will come on from that. Playing poorly, guy inside and outside him not playing well either, Cardiff living offside. He was shocking for 50-60 minutes (as someone said we'd have been better with 14), kicked badly, threw some shocking passes and generally didn't control or threaten at all.

But in fairness, after he kicked that long pen he was better. Crossfield kick was good and generally improved as we got to grips.

He'll need to be far, far better and more composed in SA though.

On L. McGrath, I've been more critical than most of his pass, but in fairness, that was his first start of the season last night and he took a while to get going.
Again as the game wore on he came into it much more, passing improved slightly and kicking got much better.

I do think Nick McCarthy is a talent though.

RK unavailable for SA is a big worry. We're very light at full back unless Carbery comes back. Larmour, for all his talents, doesn't seem ready for playing 15 at altitude.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Thought so too. Given that it was a reaction and his arm slid up a bit I think a yellow was just about okay but it was seriously reckless and I'd have had no complaints if it had been red. He had a very mixed game in general, some nice hands and good tackles but also got caught defensively and had two fairly average kicks when we were on the attack and I honestly feel he put them in because he knew he didn't have the pace to run.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:I really hope Ross Byrne will come on from that. Playing poorly, guy inside and outside him not playing well either, Cardiff living offside. He was shocking for 50-60 minutes (as someone said we'd have been better with 14), kicked badly, threw some shocking passes and generally didn't control or threaten at all.

But in fairness, after he kicked that long pen he was better. Crossfield kick was good and generally improved as we got to grips.

On L. McGrath, I've been more critical than most of his pass, but in fairness, that was his first start of the season last night and he took a while to get going.
Again as the game wore on he came into it much more, passing improved slightly and kicking got much better.

RK unavailable for SA is a big worry. We're very light at full back unless Carbery comes back. Larmour, for all his talents, doesn't seem ready for playing 15 at altitude.
I think you're being massively harsh on Ross Byrne. There were plenty of mistakes alright (missed kicks at goal, a few poor kicks out of hand, the mess up with Rhys) but he did plenty of good things too, it was nowhere near as bad as you've been making out. His defence was excellent and a lot of his passing (both short and long) was really good, kicks to touch were good, one great garryowen that Adam was unlucky not to collect. Not trying to argue he played well but don't think he was the liability before that long pen that you're making him out to have been.

Also thought Luke was good overall. Had about three loopy passes by my count (one of which led to Byrne messing up with Rhys), a box kick that was too long and then lucky not to be called offside off Larmour's kick but was very good apart from that. I thought his passing was generally good (especially in the conditions) and obviously his defence was outstanding. His three tackles in a row were great but he'd been tackling superbly all night. The most amazing thing about them to me was that he didn't even look tired after them, just bounced back up into the line and was directing people!

Edit: One other issue I'd have with Ross Byrne is that his inside balls are really predictable. He needs to make sure he either has an option outside him or develops the ability to just go himself otherwise the defence can just line the ball carrier up. It's often quite slow too. He did do it well a couple of times but really needs to improve on it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm not sure that that team sheet last week was a mistake and am beginning to think there actually might be two Van Der Fliers...he was everywhere. Conan got MOTM and I wouldn't argue with it because he was outstanding but VDF was brilliant too. It seems like every time the ball goes back to the first receiver there's a red scrum cap sprinting towards it, his training must just consist of 5-10m sprints. Watch his work rate after Byrne hit the post...incredible stuff. Some excellent turnovers too and so impressive to still be that sharp at the end of the game having worked so hard. Same with Conan and Luke, they all looked incredibly fit for this stage of the season.

Thought it was just our handling that let us down in the first half. Wouldn't agree with Leo that we were forcing things (well we did a few times), thought it was just poor concentration for the most part.

Aside from a couple of dropped balls Healy was brilliant. He looks so explosive again (possibly slimmed down?), great to see.

Larmour looked far more comfortable at fullback to me. It looks like he's playing by numbers on the wing, but far more natural at 15 where he reads things much better. His best step is off his right too so probably better suited to the right wing if he's going to play there.

Unbelievable pace from Cronin for his try but it was funny how it came about. He'd been gassed on the right wing a minute or so before it and was blowing hard, think he went back in the middle so as not to be exposed again but then when the ball presented itself he just took off.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I really hope Ross Byrne will come on from that. Playing poorly, guy inside and outside him not playing well either, Cardiff living offside. He was shocking for 50-60 minutes (as someone said we'd have been better with 14), kicked badly, threw some shocking passes and generally didn't control or threaten at all.

I think you're being massively harsh on Ross Byrne. There were plenty of mistakes alright (missed kicks at goal, a few poor kicks out of hand, the mess up with Rhys) but he did plenty of good things too, it was nowhere near as bad as you've been making out. His defence was excellent and a lot of his passing (both short and long) was really good, kicks to touch were good, one great garryowen that Adam was unlucky not to collect. Not trying to argue he played well but don't think he was the liability before that long pen that you're making him out to have been.

Also thought Luke was good overall. Had about three loopy passes by my count (one of which led to Byrne messing up with Rhys), a box kick that was too long and then lucky not to be called offside off Larmour's kick but was very good apart from that. I thought his passing was generally good (especially in the conditions) and obviously his defence was outstanding. His three tackles in a row were great but he'd been tackling superbly all night. The most amazing thing about them to me was that he didn't even look tired after them, just bounced back up into the line and was directing people!

Edit: One other issue I'd have with Ross Byrne is that his inside balls are really predictable. He needs to make sure he either has an option outside him or develops the ability to just go himself otherwise the defence can just line the ball carrier up. It's often quite slow too. He did do it well a couple of times but really needs to improve on it.
There was a period in the first half where the half backs seemed to cancel out any good work done by the other. Rather than either being terrible they just made a lot of minor errors or easy reads between them.

Also your comment on Byrne being predictable was highlighted the first phase after we regained possession after Isa's card. There were 3 Cardiff defenders just waiting to hit RO'L and hit him they did.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Was that McGrath's first minutes of the season?

Bent is going well
Byrne & ROL seem to be combining badly

Larmour seems to have very good pitch IQ/aptitude for breaking the laws to win plays, that you want to see in any player let alone a young one. If one was being cliched one might say a kiwi mentality. Saying he cheats at the right times might be too controversial :)

Basically hes not just a systems players like most of our other back players
Last edited by simonokeeffe on September 9th, 2017, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Funny moment during the game.
Fardy kicks the ball out of the ruck and gives away a peno.
The Ref says to Fardy, "You're in the northern hemisphere now Scott"
:lol:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Well
Brian O'Driscoll‏Verified account @BrianODriscoll

Without putting the Hex on him the ref has been the best part of this game so far. Hasn't gotten one wrong yet. #LEIvCAR
Brian O'Driscoll‏Verified account @BrianODriscoll 18h18 hours ago

MOTM - Andrew Brace (Ref). Look forward to seeing more of him. #LEIvCAR
So there!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: I think you're being massively harsh on Ross Byrne. There were plenty of mistakes alright (missed kicks at goal, a few poor kicks out of hand, the mess up with Rhys) but he did plenty of good things too, it was nowhere near as bad as you've been making out. His defence was excellent and a lot of his passing (both short and long) was really good, kicks to touch were good, one great garryowen that Adam was unlucky not to collect. Not trying to argue he played well but don't think he was the liability before that long pen that you're making him out to have been.

Same season, same story eh LRIP?
You're not a Michaels man by any chance? :lol:

Our halfbacks were poor, there's no way to dress that up. Byrne was awful for 50-60 (and it's not just me that's saying that!). Made the wrong choices and executed poorly. The pass to ground just encapsulated his performance. In terms of his passing, also threw a shocker back into Bent and put Isa under enormous pressure at one stage. He tends to throw a lot of hospital passes for some reason. We need much more from him. Granted as I said neither 9 or 12 were helping much and there were mitigating factors of them living offside, but that doesn't change how poor he was. He also doesn't seem to realise how big and physical he is, doesn't threaten enough for his size and speed.

McGrath was back to poor passing for 50 minutes, and then picked it up well. Hopefully he maintains that level of performance.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

How well are our outhalves being coached, I wonder? It would interesting to see what David Knox could do with them. How long has it been since Leinster used the Knox loop that Kearney scored a try off against Racing in 2010?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

No I'm not, and it's quite annoying that you'd say that when I've mentioned loads of his mistakes, it was a very fair assessment (where I even said he didn't play well and that his inside balls are predicatable...what a faboi!) and I don't really care if others agree with you. I just think he did a lot of good things in that first half that you either missed or ignored.

I won't go on about Luke but like I said I counted 3 loopy passes (plus one poor low one that someone caught brilliantly) but apart from that his passing was fine, especially in the conditions when others made errors. Ross Byrne/whoever was the first receiver generally had plenty of time and space from those passes, generally wasn't Luke's fault that they messed it up.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:No I'm not, and it's quite annoying that you'd say that when I've mentioned loads of his mistakes, it was a very fair assessment (where I even said he didn't play well and that his inside balls are predicatable...what a faboi!) and I don't really care if others agree with you. I just think he did a lot of good things in that first half that you either missed or ignored.

I won't go on about Luke but like I said I counted 3 loopy passes (plus one poor low one that someone caught brilliantly) but apart from that his passing was fine, especially in the conditions when others made errors. Ross Byrne/whoever was the first receiver generally had plenty of time and space from those passes, generally wasn't Luke's fault that they messed it up.
Aye, because I said he had a shocker I must have missed or ignored anything he did well.

Coz I'm so biased right?

It surely couldn't actually be that he had a shocker.

The old 'Luke McGrath's passing was fine, except for numerous mistakes' chestnut again eh? As I said, another season, same old same old!