September 2017 Doubleheader in South Africa

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: September 2017 Doubleheader in South Africa

Post by cormac »

artaneboy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:That pack should have more than enough to get us on top. Interesting to see Rhys benching for 2nd row.

I'd be slightly worried about JGP starting, would prefer a more structured 9 for this type of game. The only way we can lose this imo it by playing into their hands with loose play and bad kicking.

Reid at 13 will be interesting, don't remember him ever playing there before. He certainly can cut a line.

Good to see B Daly getting a start, he's a good player.
I thought Reid played a few games at 13, before Ringrose became our BOD-successor. Not sure if he started, but recall he came on/ moved there in matches. So it's a couple of seasons ago really- and he's come on a good bit since. At that stage he seemed a bit light for the role, but had the skills. Thus could be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This will be Reid's first start at 13.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster got part one of their South African tour done last week with their third bonus point win of the season. It fit the pattern of the season so far, a poor first-half followed by a more clinical second. The Kings were game, especially at the breakdown but Leinster eventually realised their basic tackling was hopeless and powered through for a number of soft tries. The Kings weren't expected to be competitive and the local crowd stayed well away from it. The official attendance was three thousand, but they were lucky if there was five hundred people in the stands of the massive stadium.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@Egg that involves a lot of throwing to the tail which is loading the dice
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Just realised this will (presumably) be Dooley's first game of the season. Hopefully, he can recapture the form of the season before last. He had jumped above Healy then, in terms of performances. Seemed very quiet in comparison when he played last season - maybe struggling with some injury?
With everyone fit and firing, we've some depth at loosehead. As good as most national sides.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

curates_egg wrote:Just realised this will (presumably) be Dooley's first game of the season. Hopefully, he can recapture the form of the season before last. He had jumped above Healy then, in terms of performances. Seemed very quiet in comparison when he played last season - maybe struggling with some injury?
With everyone fit and firing, we've some depth at loosehead. As good as most national sides.
Have to disagree, he played 16 times (7 starts) for Leinster last year as a 22 year old LH. That's fairly spectacular. He had a number of really good performances but there is obviously a major drive to get Healy back to where he was from an Irish perspective.

Dooley will see a lot of game time this season with both Healy and McGrath away with Ireland. I still fancy my bet that Dooley will be in the Irish squad for Japan 19.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

What a great Squad player Michael Bent has proved to be. The original unsung hero who has seamlessly slipped into position as our go to THP when the Lions and Internationals players need their rest. Never worried about our scrum when I see him at No 3 and his tackling and handling improve each season.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:What a great Squad player Michael Bent has proved to be. The original unsung hero who has seamlessly slipped into position as our go to THP when the Lions and Internationals players need their rest. Never worried about our scrum when I see him at No 3 and his tackling and handling improve each season.
+1. No nonsense player, keeps his head down and works incredibly hard in a similar way to Aaron Dundon. I'd say a lot of casual fans wouldn't even know who he is.

He's incredibly valuable to have in the squad.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

jimbobjoe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:What a great Squad player Michael Bent has proved to be. The original unsung hero who has seamlessly slipped into position as our go to THP when the Lions and Internationals players need their rest. Never worried about our scrum when I see him at No 3 and his tackling and handling improve each season.
+1. No nonsense player, keeps his head down and works incredibly hard in a similar way to Aaron Dundon. I'd say a lot of casual fans wouldn't even know who he is.

He's incredibly valuable to have in the squad.
100% agree. Unsung hero is the perfect term for the guy.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Hes also worked on his game/improved markedly in his time here

And he doesnt just wait for a 9 at a ruck, which I love
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Completely agree with this. Couldn't have said it better. The very definition of the "unsung hero".
Dont Panic!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Bent copped a lot of abuse for the way he was capped by Deccie, and is now still underrated because of this. Completely unfair to the player, fair dues to him for keeping the head down and progressing into the player he is today. :clap:
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've been critical of us being so reliant on him in the past because I felt that we needed to aim higher if we were going to get back to winning European cups but you're right he's been great and is a really valuable player to have in the squad. Himself and Porter are pretty much perfect back up to have for Furlong.

Speaking of tightheads reminds me of how much Marty Moore is wasting his potential. Benched for Ireland during two successful 6N championships (he was only 22 at the start of the 2014 tournament and tuned 23 near the end) and now he's nowhere near the Ireland squad, benching for Wasps, and looking pretty poor when he does play. I know he's had injuries but it's such a pity that nobody can improve his attitude and unlock his potential. I don't see it happening at this stage but perhaps the prospect of a much lesser contract in 2019 (think that's when his Wasps deal is up) will light a fire under him.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

He's not the hero Leinster deserves, but the one we need.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
He's not the hero Leinster deserves, but the one we need.
chapeau
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

An inspiration to the new players who need to learn how to tackle.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
I've been critical of us being so reliant on him in the past because I felt that we needed to aim higher if we were going to get back to winning European cups but you're right he's been great and is a really valuable player to have in the squad. Himself and Porter are pretty much perfect back up to have for Furlong.

Speaking of tightheads reminds me of how much Marty Moore is wasting his potential. Benched for Ireland during two successful 6N championships (he was only 22 at the start of the 2014 tournament and tuned 23 near the end) and now he's nowhere near the Ireland squad, benching for Wasps, and looking pretty poor when he does play. I know he's had injuries but it's such a pity that nobody can improve his attitude and unlock his potential. I don't see it happening at this stage but perhaps the prospect of a much lesser contract in 2019 (think that's when his Wasps deal is up) will light a fire under him.
I was under the impression he really didn't want to move but was angling for a better deal here. Played it a little too close to the line and ended up getting caught out. Didn't he try to get out of the Wasps deal when the last Irish one came through? I wonder if he's just not happy there and regretting the move? Add that to the injuries....

It would be nice to get back the guy who left if it was on. But he'd have to accept that he'd be fighting for 2nd string with Porter at best.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I wouldn't take Marty Moore over either Bent or Porter.

It looks to me like we dodged a bullet there.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He signed the pre contract deal thinking that he could get out if it...he couldn't.

I wouldn't take him back either, just lamenting the fact that such a talented player is basically wasting his talents. He should really be a world class tighthead by now, but I reckon he'll end up having a similar career to Jamie Hagan once his Wasps deal is up.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Agree. Porter is coming along in leaps and bounds. The Experiment, his move from loose- to tight-head, seems to be working out.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I'd say Marty's agent f%~ked him over
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick