September 2017 Doubleheader in South Africa

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: September 2017 Doubleheader in South Africa

Post by FLIP »

Given that electronic devices in flight mode have no effect on planes, and that the vast majority of airlines now allow their use at any time, I don't see it as embarrassing for Leinster. Embarrassing for the airline stuck in the 20th Century maybe.
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Just got to watch it. Didn't think it was that bad at all.

Kings will be a better side if they can fix a few things before their attitude tanks. They were a bit fragile mentally and were exploited by a more clinical Leinster.

Their locks were both excellent. Abrasive guys I hated because they weren't ours, so Munster will sign one. They made a few chances but more mistakes. Our rush defence and its organisation was more than they really knew how to deal with.

They don't have a complete team in defence so once we were patient through the phases we knew they'd be stretched and we could isolate weaker tacklers.

They have some good players but need a bit more cohesion. Some of them looked like fired up emotional amateurs rather than focused pros. Not saying they didn't have the talent or the drive, more the focus and clear heads.

They can do okay in this league, but not yet.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

FLIP wrote:Given that electronic devices in flight mode have no effect on planes, and that the vast majority of airlines now allow their use at any time, I don't see it as embarrassing for Leinster. Embarrassing for the airline stuck in the 20th Century maybe.
But laptops usually have to be put away for take off and landing because if there's an emergency then it's easier to evacuate.

The fact that he was on the next flight out must mean it wasn't serious anyway...but what a clusterfuck of a week.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
FLIP wrote:Given that electronic devices in flight mode have no effect on planes, and that the vast majority of airlines now allow their use at any time, I don't see it as embarrassing for Leinster. Embarrassing for the airline stuck in the 20th Century maybe.
But laptops usually have to be put away for take off and landing because if there's an emergency then it's easier to evacuate.

The fact that he was on the next flight out must mean it wasn't serious anyway...but what a clusterfuck of a week.
I'd put this down to over zealous cabin crew, I suspect then backed up by their colleagues which is fair enough, but we've all been on flights with the phone/laptop/iPad nonsense. It makes as much sense as turning off that stuff when you get on a Dublin bus in this day and age, airlines need to move with times on use of electronic devices is anyone still arsed about a useless safety announcement etc? Oh yes and paper not refusing ink. It's a nothing story.
paulmpb
Beginner

Post by paulmpb »

Much more likely to be an out-dated airline policy that cabin crew have to enforce than a crew member being over-zealous. Regardless, if you won't comply with a reasonable request from cabin crew (and putting your laptop away for 10-15 minutes certainly is reasonable) than you deserve to get turfed out and embarrassed. Hope Healy's out of the squad for the weekend as punishment, we have four looseheads over there anyway.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

From the 42.ie

D said
9hours ago

He’s an arrogant ball bag anyway. I’d wager there’s a bit more to it than that.
287 likes
Jesus the amount of trolling assh*les on that website is unreal. 287 likes!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

paulmpb wrote:Much more likely to be an out-dated airline policy that cabin crew have to enforce than a crew member being over-zealous. Regardless, if you won't comply with a reasonable request from cabin crew (and putting your laptop away for 10-15 minutes certainly is reasonable) than you deserve to get turfed out and embarrassed. Hope Healy's out of the squad for the weekend as punishment, we have four looseheads over there anyway.
I agree with the first part but I would prefer if other players were given a chance because he keeps dropping the ball, than because he behaved like a douche on a flight.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

sunshiner1 wrote:
From the 42.ie

D said
9hours ago

He’s an arrogant ball bag anyway. I’d wager there’s a bit more to it than that.
287 likes
Jesus the amount of trolling assh*les on that website is unreal. 287 likes!
Thats Munster and soccer fans for ya :wink:

Cant see why press would leave worse details out eg police being involved at any stage

Looks like he was asked to put laptop away before flight, even if he was in the middle of something was a bit Irish/blokish ie foolish and thought ah yeah in a second, crew member overreacted, possibly intimidated by size of him and or his mates, and it wasnt exactly Ryanair so plane was turned around

He needs a BIG game Friday now
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Am I alone in thinking that if the Kings had been able to stick their passes that they would have actually caused us a good bit of difficulty. They have some serious gas and both of their flankers and their hooker look like good operators.

If they get their sh!t together they're gonna be a good asset for the league.

Stadium 'a way too big though -
They need a smaller ground and a good marketing dept to get the crowds in.
Probably wrong. They can't defend.
Well I suppose learning to defend will probably be part of getting their sh!t together ??
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

leinster10 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Hornet wrote:I see Cian Healy has been offloaded from a flight for disobeying a CC's request.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 44498.html
Reading the article it looks like a whole lotta nothing/cabin crew massively overreacted

Leavy is bad news, thankfully we are swimming in backrowers
You don't get forced off a flight for a whole lot of nothing, the article goes from him being asked to stop using the laptop to the plane being turned around, convenient section missing is what actions or conversation took place between those two events, id say there's a lot more detail to this story yet to come, either way this is embarrassing for the club.
Ffs, can they not let the man learn to count in peace?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: Ffs, can they not let the man learn to count in peace?
mocking a player's intelligence... interesting
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

WTF is going on down there?

There must be more to this story than is being put out I reckon, they'd hardly turn around a flight and kick someone off for not closing a laptop?
I wonder was our Cian being slightly belligerent.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paulmpb wrote:Much more likely to be an out-dated airline policy that cabin crew have to enforce than a crew member being over-zealous. Regardless, if you won't comply with a reasonable request from cabin crew (and putting your laptop away for 10-15 minutes certainly is reasonable) than you deserve to get turfed out and embarrassed. Hope Healy's out of the squad for the weekend as punishment, we have four looseheads over there anyway.
Cian is normally a myst polite and compliant person in any public space. Wouldn't surprise me if he was trying to warch All Ireland final or something like that. It's certainly not his style to be confrontational.

Pointless critisising Cabin Staff from afar about upholding airline policy regardless of how outmoded it appears to be. Different airlines in different parts of the world have different security procedures based on their experience. But returning to terminal to offload a passenger who's part of a large group, is also a strong preventive measure. Very surprised Leinster Management allowed this to escalate to this point.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

I'm going to say its all part of a larger conspiracy by the powers that be in SA to disrupt Leinster and Show Irish rugby in a poor light....If they cant organise a tour sure there is no chance they could organise a World Cup!

Expect a suspicious bout of food poisoning to breakout Thursday evening...
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote: Ffs, can they not let the man learn to count in peace?
mocking a player's intelligence... interesting
As a card carrying member of the front row union I retain the right to mock any and all members of my push and shove colleagues.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

R-Dog wrote:I'm going to say its all part of a larger conspiracy by the powers that be in SA to disrupt Leinster and Show Irish rugby in a poor light....If they cant organise a tour sure there is no chance they could organise a World Cup!

Expect a suspicious bout of food poisoning to breakout Thursday evening...
Or maybe it's sabotage tactics by Leinster/IRFU to show how ill prepared SA is for a RWC!

(Yes, let's all hope that's what it is...)
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The 29-year-old was reviewing Saturday’s game against the Southern Kings on his laptop after the passengers were told to stop using electronic equipment.
To the surprise of the player, his fellow squad members and passengers a member of the South African Express cabin crew asked that the plane be turned around and the player was asked to leave when it returned to the terminal.

The police were not asked to get involved and after making an apology Healy was booked on to the next flight with the same airline later that afternoon.
Big over-reaction by the cabin crew, it says so in the Indo so I'll hear nothing to the contrary.
Dont Panic!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

19/09/2017
Leinster Rugby Backs Coach Girvan Dempsey issued a squad update to media from the team hotel in Cape Town this morning ahead of the Round 4, Guinness PRO14 game against the Toyota Cheetahs on Friday (Kick Off: 7.00pm - live on SKY Sports).

There were a few bangs and bruises from the game at the weekend against the Southern Kings with Ross Byrne the most notable. He suffered a contusion to his ankle but is due to be available for selection this week.

There was good news for the returning Noel Reid, Jordi Murphy, Dave Kearney and Joey Carbery who all came through their first game back from injury with no ill effects and are all due to be available for selection this week.

Dempsey did though confirm that Fergus McFadden had a sore hamstring from training last week so wasn't considered for selection for the Southern Kings and would be assessed further this week.

He also gave an update on the wellbeing of both Rob Kearney and Dan Leavy. Kearney was withdrawn at half time against Cardiff Blues with a hamstring injury and has been ruled out for between six to eight weeks. While Leavy was withdrawn during the second half of the same game with an ankle injury. Leavy had surgery on his ankle last week and has been ruled out for up to eight weeks.

There were no updates on the following players:

Jamie Heaslip (lower back), Richardt Strauss (knee), Tom Daly (knee), Peadar Timmins (quad), Robbie Henshaw (pectoral muscle), Johnny Sexton (wrist and ankle), Tadhg Furlong (thumb), Seán O'Brien (shoulder) and Garry Ringrose (shoulder).

Meanwhile prop forward Cian Healy has re-joined the squad following his being asked to leave the flight ahead of take-off on route to Capetown.

A Statement read:

Leinster Rugby can confirm that Cian Healy was asked to leave yesterday (Sunday) afternoon's flight from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town.

The issue related to a misunderstanding around the use of a laptop during the approach to take off.

Cian disembarked the plane and took the next available flight to Cape Town with the same airline. Cian apologised sincerely to all concerned at the time for any inconvenience caused.

He re-joined the squad last night in Cape Town and trained today in Bishop's College
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Bizarre incident alright!
A professional player takes at least 30 flights a year with his team - Cian is well used to travel and unlikely to draw such ire from cabin crew by either action or inaction.

I wonder what other mix up will happen on the return journey? Seems we cant fly without something going wrong ( I had a weekend of Munster friends slagging about the visa mix up!)

Anyway, roll on 'Mile High' Healy :oops: legend if he was watching The Dubs
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Nacewa and Gibson-Park are in contention for the Toyota Park clash, but James Ryan and Fergus McFadden are unlikely to be available.
Second-row Ryan is awaiting results of a scan on his foot, while McFadden is struggling with a hamstring problem and both sat out training yesterday.