Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 29 Sep 19:35 TG4 & BBC Alba

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 29 Sep 19:35 TG4 & BBC Alba

Post by Dexter »

Onwards and upwards.

Been reported that all the Lions are available for this Friday.
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Leinster v Edinburgh Fri 29 Sep 19:35 TG4 & BBC Alba

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'm sure there'll be a few last minute schminjuries
I have Bumbleflex
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Get some heavies back in!

Our performance last week was badly needing some direct running in midfield.

With Munster next week you must be thinking get our best team out and gelling this weekend ahead of the Aviva showdown.

McGrath, Cronin, Furlong
Fardy, Toner
Ruddock, Conan, VDF
McGrath, Sexton
Reid, Henshaw
Byrne, Carbery, Kearney

Tracy, Healy, Porter, Molony, Murphy, JGP, Byrne, McFadden/ Larmour

I'd be shocked if the props played more than 45 mins. Henshaw pushed straight out to 13 for Isa to come straight in at 12 next week.

Now let's see how wrong I get this ha
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Get some heavies back in!

With Munster next week you must be thinking get our best team out and gelling this weekend ahead of the Aviva showdown.

McGrath, Cronin, Furlong
Fardy, Toner
Ruddock, Conan, VDF
McGrath, Sexton
Reid, Henshaw
Byrne, Carbery, Kearney

Tracy, Healy, Porter, Molony, Murphy, JGP, Byrne, McFadden/ Larmour

I'd be shocked if the props played more than 45 mins. Henshaw pushed straight out to 13 for Isa to come straight in at 12 next week.

Now let's see how wrong I get this ha
Healy was still in SA as of yesterday so I'd imgaine he (and whoever else was still there) will be rested this week. I also wouldn't be too surprised to see Deegan start. Conan has played a lot of minutes so far and could probably use a break ahead of the next month. I'd also like to see Nick McCarthy involved. He's been very good so far this season.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

according to Cummiskey we get Henshaw and McGrath, Jack back for this one

Isa is out for a while with calf injury
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Our performance last week was badly missing a tight five.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

curates_egg wrote:

Our performance last week was badly missing a tight five.
Very valid point.

All going well I would assume the tight 5 remains unchanged between this week and next. Our backrow is always ready to fire but we would want to be going into Europe with a sufficiently cooked pack.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

This Leinster team have a problem with how they start games which cost us badly against Clermont & Scarlets.

This season we were hopeless against Cardiff for 67 mins with the score at 16-9 against a poor team and we dropped passes all over the field before Cronin's great try on 67 and a strong finish.

Against the Cheetahs we were 5-31 after 59 mins before they tired and they were not even a good team.

Jack Mc Grath, Furlong, Fardy, Toner, O'Brien, Luke Mc Grath, Sexton, Henshaw will be needed asap and also Leavy, Heaslip, Lowe & Ringrose when fully fit/available because with the current bunch we are going to get thrashed by a strong Montpelier at the RDS & Glasgow away. Of those who played against the Cheetahs only VDF, Conan, Carbury, Barry Daly & Nick Mc Carthy will be exempt from criticism although Dave Kearney, Dooley & Bent did ok and Bent in particular has been fantastic while the Internationals have been away.

I would like to see Lowe (when available) at full back & Carbury at out half as Sexton will not play enough in a season for Leinster and Carbury has a lot more going forward than Ross Byrne. Byrne is only 22 and has done well but he reminds me of a young Dan Biggar and I think he will iron out some of the deficiencies in his game and improve like Biggar did both in defence & attack but as of this season he is a bit predictable and the odd good crosskick is not enough to justify being in matchday 23 for the more important games.

I'm not sure the Munster match while necessary in getting some back to match fitness will tell us much about our prospects against 2 very good teams in Montpelier & Glasgow and that worries me.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

matt wrote:This Leinster team have a problem with how they start games which cost us badly against Clermont & Scarlets.

This season we were hopeless against Cardiff for 67 mins with the score at 16-9 against a poor team and we dropped passes all over the field before Cronin's great try on 67 and a strong finish.

Against the Cheetahs we were 5-31 after 59 mins before they tired and they were not even a good team.

Jack Mc Grath, Furlong, Fardy, Toner, O'Brien, Luke Mc Grath, Sexton, Henshaw will be needed asap and also Leavy, Heaslip, Lowe & Ringrose when fully fit/available because with the current bunch we are going to get thrashed by a strong Montpelier at the RDS & Glasgow away. Of those who played against the Cheetahs only VDF, Conan, Carbury, Barry Daly & Nick Mc Carthy will be exempt from criticism although Dave Kearney, Dooley & Bent did ok and Bent in particular has been fantastic while the Internationals have been away.

I would like to see Lowe (when available) at full back & Carbury at out half as Sexton will not play enough in a season for Leinster and Carbury has a lot more going forward than Ross Byrne. Byrne is only 22 and has done well but he reminds me of a young Dan Biggar and I think he will iron out some of the deficiencies in his game and improve like Biggar did both in defence & attack but as of this season he is a bit predictable and the odd good crosskick is not enough to justify being in matchday 23 for the more important games.

I'm not sure the Munster match while necessary in getting some back to match fitness will tell us much about our prospects against 2 very good teams in Montpelier & Glasgow and that worries me.
+1
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Don't forget the Ulster encounter as part of our build-up.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Don't forget the Ulster encounter as part of our build-up.
To Europe?
I have Bumbleflex
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Don't forget the Ulster encounter as part of our build-up.
Good point.

If we had beaten Ulster we would have had a home semi against Ospreys instead of Scarlets and our attitude at Ravenhill was all wrong. Let's face it we should not have lost to a starting pack containing Warwick, Herring, Ah You, Diack & Wilson.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

James Ryan out this week again. Foot injury.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the spoofer wrote:James Ryan out this week again. Foot injury.
they announced that last week.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hopefully back the following week though (as is Isa), IT said theyre "aiming for Munster or Montpellier" for both. Whoever is selected at 19 for this game its a big statement. If Ryan is expected back I'd say that increases chances of Ruddock covering lock this week

Lions are all back for selection apparently, doubt they all start, have a feeling backs will but forwards wont, some our first choice subs may get a week off too while they/we can

Carbery, Byrne, Henshaw, Reid, DK, Sexton, McGrath
Dooley, Cronin, Porter, Toner, Fardy, Ruddock, JVDF, Murphy
Tracy, McGrath, Furlong, Conan, SOB, McCarthy, McFadden, Larmour

SOB and Murphy might swap positions
Reid or ROL is an interesting call
Last edited by simonokeeffe on September 26th, 2017, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

simonokeeffe wrote:
expected back the following week though as is Isa, whoever is selected at 19 for that game its a big statement. If Ryan is expected back I'd say that increases chances of Ruddock covering lock this week

Lions are all back for selection apparently, doubt they all start, have a feeling backs will but forwards wont, some our first choice subs may get a week off too while they/we can

Carbery, Byrne, Henshaw, Reid, DK, Sexton, McGrath
Dooley, Cronin, Porter, Toner, Fardy, Ruddock, JVDF, Murphy
Tracy, McGrath, Furlong, Conan, SOB, McCarthy, McFadden, Larmour

SOB and Murphy might swap positions
Reid or ROL is an interesting call
I ahven't seen anything to indicate that Ryan is back next week
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Isa Nacewa (calf) and James Ryan (foot) will miss the game but Lancaster dismissed fears surrounding the long-term fitness of both players with Leinster's skipper facing up to three weeks on the sidelines, while Ryan is due back in a few days.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/g ... 68313.html
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Looks like Lancaster spoke a bit yesterday about our lack of aggression and physicality against Cheetahs.

That's one area that we've been poor in for a while, and something that should be easy to improve on.

We've a huge pack full of big, international guys, yet they were absolutely taken apart by Cheetahs in the first 60.
Bar Josh, every man lost their battle, and both our second rows looked completely out of their depth in particular.

I'd hope that's a quick win that we can improve on for the next few games, because we'll need it after Friday.

McGrath, SOB, Fardy, Furlong, Ruddock etc should help a lot. In fairness, Porter did help here too on Friday night.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

johng wrote:Isa Nacewa (calf) and James Ryan (foot) will miss the game but Lancaster dismissed fears surrounding the long-term fitness of both players with Leinster's skipper facing up to three weeks on the sidelines, while Ryan is due back in a few days.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/g ... 68313.html
ah great thanks.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:Looks like Lancaster spoke a bit yesterday about our lack of aggression and physicality against Cheetahs.

That's one area that we've been poor in for a while, and something that should be easy to improve on.

We've a huge pack full of big, international guys, yet they were absolutely taken apart by Cheetahs in the first 60.
Bar Josh, every man lost their battle, and both our second rows looked completely out of their depth in particular.

I'd hope that's a quick win that we can improve on for the next few games, because we'll need it after Friday.

McGrath, SOB, Fardy, Furlong, Ruddock etc should help a lot. In fairness, Porter did help here too on Friday night.
both second rows are small by modern standards.