Barry Daly

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Barry Daly

Postby COYBIB » September 28th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Just turned 25 last week, came in under the radar having not progressed through the Leinster academy after a stint with Ireland U20's, he established himself in the AIL and on the 7's circuit. Signed his first professional contract ahead of last season at the age of 23. During his debut season he scored 3 tries in 5 starts, as well as another one during his 5 stints off the bench.

This season he got one during his two appearances off the bench before grabbing a hat-trick in his first start of the season.

Those are some impressive numbers.

Despite all of that, I can't say I've learned a whole lot about him, he escaped my attention for much of his time on the pitch as I suppose I naively had written him off as another squad filler from the AIL (which is not to be disrespectful, just didn't have him earmarked as a player for the future who I might normally pay a lot more attention to).

From those who've kept a closer eye on him than I, how good is this guy? Is he realistically in the mix as a potential first choice 23 player with Leinster?
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
User avatar
COYBIB
Enlightened
 
Posts: 845
Joined: February 27th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Re: Barry Daly

Postby simonokeeffe » September 28th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Not to be harsh but hes a squad player

Good finisher but his defence isn't good enough to be a serious contender for us
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16131
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Barry Daly

Postby Leinsterlunatic » September 28th, 2017, 1:56 pm

I think he has the makings of a very good player, he's very talented in attack, just needs a bit more time for improvement on the defence front.

Y'all have to remember he's only got a year of professional rugby under his belt (unlike the likes of Adam Byrne, Kearney, McFadden etc.).

I honestly think he could be a very good player for us, already improved dramatically this season.
Leinsterlunatic
Beginner
 
Posts: 34
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Re: Barry Daly

Postby arsebiscuits1 » September 28th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Really hasn't impressed me when he's not going forward.

Munster in Thomond last year they had far too much success down his wing. As far as deep ends to get thrown into that is a big one but still.

Against the Cheetahs he was far too passive in D, soaked up a lot of yards.

He's a decent sized bloke (6'2" and 96kgs according to LR, personally I'd say closer to 6' and 90kgs) and it's always handy to have a strong, pacy winger but I can't see him being more than a Cathal Marsh-eqsue role in the squad.

Will be more than happy to be proved wrong in time
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
arsebiscuits1
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 406
Joined: November 19th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Re: Barry Daly

Postby mildlyinterested » September 28th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Assuming a player can improve defensively in his mid 20's is making a large assumption...
mildlyinterested
Enlightened
 
Posts: 798
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Barry Daly

Postby curates_egg » September 28th, 2017, 2:37 pm

We've had a few wingers who can't really attack, so a bit of balance is good. Although, it would be nice to have only wingers that do both well.
I also haven't paid that much attention but is his defence any worse than Byrne's?
User avatar
curates_egg
Mullet
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Re: Barry Daly

Postby LeinsterLeader » September 28th, 2017, 3:20 pm

curates_egg wrote:We've had a few wingers who can't really attack, so a bit of balance is good. Although, it would be nice to have only wingers that do both well.
I also haven't paid that much attention but is his defence any worse than Byrne's?

I have a lot of time for Adam Byrne, he is a huge physical speciman and is excellent in the air...................... but unfortunately he's one of the worst defenders I've seen. I don't think Barry Daly is any great shakes defensively (probably never will be) but he doesn't shy away from contact.
User avatar
LeinsterLeader
Mullet
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Re: Barry Daly

Postby artaneboy » September 28th, 2017, 8:16 pm

LeinsterLeader wrote:
curates_egg wrote:We've had a few wingers who can't really attack, so a bit of balance is good. Although, it would be nice to have only wingers that do both well.
I also haven't paid that much attention but is his defence any worse than Byrne's?

I have a lot of time for Adam Byrne, he is a huge physical speciman and is excellent in the air...................... but unfortunately he's one of the worst defenders I've seen. I don't think Barry Daly is any great shakes defensively (probably never will be) but he doesn't shy away from contact.

Neither does Adam Byrne shy from contact. But an enthusiasm s d ability to tackle is just one (less than 50%) part of being a good defender. Positioning and reading is about 60% of the job.

Byrne's issue is lack of restraint and timing in the tackle. No point hammering your oppo when he still gets the all away for a two on one! Still rate Adam's prospects higher than Barry's on both accounts of attack and defence.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2622
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Re: Barry Daly

Postby Leinsterlunatic » September 29th, 2017, 8:38 am

I think a few of you will be proved wrong this season.

He was in great form last year before the red card and Munster match.

A few more games and continued confidence boost and I think he will keep improving.
Leinsterlunatic
Beginner
 
Posts: 34
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Re: Barry Daly

Postby mildlyinterested » September 29th, 2017, 8:39 am

Leinsterlunatic wrote:I think a few of you will be proved wrong this season.

He was in great form last year before the red card and Munster match.

A few more games and continued confidence boost and I think he will keep improving.


Hope you are right.
mildlyinterested
Enlightened
 
Posts: 798
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Barry Daly

Postby wixfjord » September 29th, 2017, 9:02 am

Games at a high level will certainly improve Daly.
Will he ever be a Euro 23 man for us with everyone else available? I don't think so.

But he's a big asset to have for Pro14 games. Very impressed with his attitude too. Seems to be a guy that's smart and hungry for work.
Positioning was a bit ropey at times last season, so hopefully that will improve.

We need someone Girve and Ferg to take the two of them aside and teach them wing positional play!
wixfjord
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3118
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Barry Daly

Postby Ruckedtobits » September 30th, 2017, 8:38 pm

wixfjord wrote:Games at a high level will certainly improve Daly.
Will he ever be a Euro 23 man for us with everyone else available? I don't think so.

But he's a big asset to have for Pro14 games. Very impressed with his attitude too. Seems to be a guy that's smart and hungry for work.
Positioning was a bit ropey at times last season, so hopefully that will improve.

We need someone Girve and Ferg to take the two of them aside and teach them wing positional play!


Sometimes, just sometimes, your biggest advancement in professional sport occurs when you're not there.

Dave Kearney's display last night could well be the most important performance in Barry Daly's career over the past 18 months. Another one of those (or even another lack-lustre night for RO'L) and Barry may become the 'James-Lowe-man-in-waiting' and there's a very big month ahead with the prospect of slipping into the match-day 23.

Stranger things have happened and a hat trick is a great reminder - especially to a Coach searching for a new solution when his first choice hasn't worked out.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3031
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Barry Daly

Postby BlueBlue » October 2nd, 2017, 3:14 pm

RO'L I'm a fan, but he's looked out of sorts so far. Dave Kearney was very poor on Friday. That knock he took going for the high ball put him off the rest of his game.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
User avatar
BlueBlue
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2968
Joined: June 16th, 2006, 11:27 am
Location: deepest Leinster

Re: Barry Daly

Postby Leinsterlunatic » October 3rd, 2017, 12:40 pm

Dave Kearney was very poor on Friday.

I have an inkling that Daly & Byrne will start on the wings against Munster - just curious as to why both were rested last weekend.

Don't think they were dropped (Daly after a hat-trick and Byrne being solid for the last 13 months), but could be wrong.
Leinsterlunatic
Beginner
 
Posts: 34
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Re: Barry Daly

Postby wixfjord » October 3rd, 2017, 12:45 pm

Leinsterlunatic wrote:Dave Kearney was very poor on Friday.

I have an inkling that Daly & Byrne will start on the wings against Munster - just curious as to why both were rested last weekend.

Don't think they were dropped (Daly after a hat-trick and Byrne being solid for the last 13 months), but could be wrong.


Eh what Byrne have you been watching?! 'Solid' is not a word I'd use to describe him!
wixfjord
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3118
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Barry Daly

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » October 3rd, 2017, 1:00 pm

Adam is a good tackler for the most part, it's his positioning that's more the problem, and whoever plays on Saturday is likely to be picked with Nadolo in mind so it'll be interesting to see who gets the nod. My guess is that it'll be Ferg but think I'd go with Adam. No selection is ideal.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 10384
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Barry Daly

Postby Leinsterlunatic » October 3rd, 2017, 3:23 pm

wixfjord wrote:
Leinsterlunatic wrote:Dave Kearney was very poor on Friday.

I have an inkling that Daly & Byrne will start on the wings against Munster - just curious as to why both were rested last weekend.

Don't think they were dropped (Daly after a hat-trick and Byrne being solid for the last 13 months), but could be wrong.


Eh what Byrne have you been watching?! 'Solid' is not a word I'd use to describe him!


Byrne is solid, yes he's made a few errors but he is very good in the air and is a strong unit who scores a few tries.

Daly is also a unit, good in the air and scores trys.

Ferg is passed it!
Leinsterlunatic
Beginner
 
Posts: 34
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Re: Barry Daly

Postby fourthirtythree » October 3rd, 2017, 3:50 pm

Leinsterlunatic wrote:
Ferg is passed it!


What? Where? When did Ferg pass the ball?
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8586
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Barry Daly

Postby Oldschool » October 3rd, 2017, 4:05 pm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Adam is a good tackler for the most part, it's his positioning that's more the problem, and whoever plays on Saturday is likely to be picked with Nadolo in mind so it'll be interesting to see who gets the nod. My guess is that it'll be Ferg but think I'd go with Adam. No selection is ideal.

Byrne's problem is concentration or 'sometimes' lack thereof.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 10102
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Barry Daly

Postby arsebiscuits1 » October 6th, 2017, 9:15 am

He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
arsebiscuits1
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 406
Joined: November 19th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Next

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DMR2004, mildlyinterested, SemrushBot [Bot] and 8 guests