Barry Daly

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Barry Daly

Post by curates_egg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Well this is interesting...

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/isa-nace ... ose-138677
Vroom, vroom.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

curates_egg wrote:

Vroom, vroom.
To be fair, if speed alone made you a great player Carlin Isles would be earning a million a year at Toulon.

But still interesting to see that he is one of the fastest players in the country
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Vroom, vroom.
To be fair, if speed alone made you a great player Carlin Isles would be earning a million a year at Toulon.

But still interesting to see that he is one of the fastest players in the country
I wouldn't have thought either he or Zebo were the fastest at their respective provinces based on optics. Zebo, in particular, has a weird running style...not quite Paula Radcliffe weird...but still.
Just shows you. Appearances and all that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Big chance to put a marker down tomorrow for him. Best of luck Barry.
Last edited by wixfjord on October 6th, 2017, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Double post!
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Vroom, vroom.

Yup have you ever noticed that in all Isles training videos he never has a rugby ball anywhere near?

He's also not the actual fastest player on the 7s circuit.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

There's also speed that's harder to measure like being able to change direction faster ie being a jinky runner. That's underrated imo but some players have it. Ben Smith would be a good example. He might not be breaking any sprint records yet he is very difficult to catch.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cancel James Lowe's flight ;-)

Its a big call and I hope he has a stormer tomorrow
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

dropkick wrote:There's also speed that's harder to measure like being able to change direction faster ie being a jinky runner. That's underrated imo but some players have it. Ben Smith would be a good example. He might not be breaking any sprint records yet he is very difficult to catch.
run in a straight line is great and all but it's more about acceleration, ability to change speeds etc.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
dropkick wrote:There's also speed that's harder to measure like being able to change direction faster ie being a jinky runner. That's underrated imo but some players have it. Ben Smith would be a good example. He might not be breaking any sprint records yet he is very difficult to catch.
run in a straight line is great and all but it's more about acceleration, ability to change speeds etc.
To be fair to Daly, he lost no pace when he stepped for his hat trick try in SA
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

kermischocolate wrote:Yup have you ever noticed that in all Isles training videos he never has a rugby ball anywhere near?

Isles set a new PB of 10.15s for 100m in June last year. I seriously doubt there's anyone on the 7s circuit faster than that.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

leinsterforever wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Yup have you ever noticed that in all Isles training videos he never has a rugby ball anywhere near?

Isles set a new PB of 10.15s for 100m in June last year. I seriously doubt there's anyone on the 7s circuit faster than that.
Fair enough- I'll rephrase. I seriously doubt he's the fastest player on the pitch, ball in hand, on the 7s circuit. Specman for the Cheetahs has gas but he's not even anywhere near fastest for SA.
Pretty sure Perry Baker is not far behind Isles within USA squad and can actually play rugby.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Both Christian Wade and Tom Varndell ran sub 11-second 100 metres as schoolboys and Habana has an official 10.12 to his name
I have Bumbleflex
leinsterforever
Mullet

Dave Cahill wrote:Both Christian Wade and Tom Varndell ran sub 11-second 100 metres as schoolboys and Habana has an official 10.12 to his name
Lol. That's laughable, frankly. I'd be surprised if Habana at his fastest could run inside 10.7. Even that's optimistic.

I don't expect you have a source?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinsterforever wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Both Christian Wade and Tom Varndell ran sub 11-second 100 metres as schoolboys and Habana has an official 10.12 to his name
Lol. That's laughable, frankly. I'd be surprised if Habana at his fastest could run inside 10.7. Even that's optimistic.

I don't find it laughable at all. There has always been a crossover between world class sprinting and Rugby. From Eric Liddell through Andrew Harriman and Nigel Walker to Habana and Isles. The current NCAA 100m junior champion ran a 4.12 for the 40 recently - now that's fast
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:

Vroom, vroom.
The Flaaassh.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Dave Cahill wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:

I don't find it laughable at all. There has always been a crossover between world class sprinting and Rugby. From Eric Liddell through Andrew Harriman and Nigel Walker to Habana and Isles. The current NCAA 100m junior champion ran a 4.12 for the 40 recently - now that's fast
No source then? Suggesting Habana clocked 10.12 on a track is laughable. I can virtually guarantee you it didn't happen. The rest of what you say has no relevance to what Habana could do in the 100m.

Eric Liddell's 100m pb was 10.4 I think
Ken Jones seems to have clocked 10.6 or 10.7 in the 1948 Olympics
Nigel Walker ran 10.49 in 1990

These are actual times on a track, same as Isles. If Habana ran 10.12 on a track in a meet, it wouldn't be difficult to find proof of it. But you won't be able to, because it didn't happen. 11.12 would be a more likely time for him
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinsterforever wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
leinsterforever wrote: Lol. That's laughable, frankly. I'd be surprised if Habana at his fastest could run inside 10.7. Even that's optimistic.

No source then? Suggesting Habana clocked 10.12 on a track is laughable. I can virtually guarantee you it didn't happen. The rest of what you say has no relevance to what Habana could do in the 100m.

Eric Liddell's 100m pb was 10.4 I think
Ken Jones seems to have clocked 10.6 or 10.7 in the 1948 Olympics
Nigel Walker ran 10.49 in 1990

These are actual times on a track, same as Isles. If Habana ran 10.12 on a track in a meet, it wouldn't be difficult to find proof of it. But you won't be able to, because it didn't happen. 11.12 would be a more likely time for him
You could always Google it..
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:

That's insanely fast!

I had Habana as a 10.4 http://www.rugbytoday.com/columns/faste ... ugby-times

In American Football Jerry Rice was someone who didn't have sprinter speed in a straight line but was super fast playing the game. It was often called functional speed or quickness. i.e. it was said that he wasn't fast but he was quick.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Dave Cahill wrote:You could always Google it..
All I can find is someone on the internet making an unfounded and unsupported claim?

Why don't you post your source? You know, something concrete like this for Isles http://www.all-athletics.com/en-us/athlete/87998