Barry Daly

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Barry Daly

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:Daly was U-20 in 2012 wasn't he? Same side as Furlong and Conan
only got 4 u20 caps, youd want to be shooting lightning bolts of your backside to get into the Leinster academy with that pedigree :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

simonokeeffe wrote:
only got 4 u20 caps, youd want to be shooting lightning bolts of your backside to get into the Leinster academy with that pedigree :wink:
due to a broken hand.
Spellster
Beginner

Post by Spellster »

simonokeeffe wrote:
And in those 4 caps he beat England, France and South Africa and lost to England. This was the main thing I remembered from him at underage.https://youtu.be/BK9JIdQWfQ0?t=57.

He was a good player at that level but so were Foster Horan and Sam Coghlan-Murray and Leinster only had room for one in the academy, they chose Coghlan-Murray who rotted in the A team under MO'C before being released and is currently playing AIL.

P.S. Look at the team from that game and the amount of players who went on to be pros (Scannell, Furlong, Henderson, Beirne, O'Connor, Conan, Marmion, McGrath, Hanrahan, Carty, Olding, Farrell, Daly) https://www.worldrugby.org/match/12549
Last edited by Spellster on October 19th, 2017, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Yes and Mikey Sherlock and Sam Coghlan Murray who both got academy deals.
So did Mikey Sherlock and Sam Coghlan Murray progress to professional contracts?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Spellster wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
And in those 4 caps he beat England, France and South Africa and lost to England. This was the main thing I remembered from him at underage.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK9JIdQWfQ0.

He was a good player at that level but so were Foster Horan and Sam Coghlan-Murray and Leinster only had room for one in the academy, they chose Coghlan-Murray who rotted in the A team under MO'C before being released and is currently playing AIL.

P.S. Look at the team from that game and the amount of players who went on to be pros (Scannell, Furlong, Henderson, Beirne, O'Connor, Conan, Marmion, McGrath, Hanrahan, Carty, Olding, Farrell, Daly) https://www.worldrugby.org/match/12549
Jordan Coughlan was seriously screwed over by that switch from flanker to centre.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

As was Harrison Brewer.

Both back playing backrow professionally now.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lads, relax and reflect back on the numbers and persons in the Squad and Academy at the relevant time. It never came down to A or B compared with Barry Daly. One player had been ill and almost missed an entire Season. We had wingers coming out our ears - Isa, Luke, Ferg, Dave K, Andrew Conway, Sam Coughlan- Murray and also a couple of wingers just finished in the Academy, playing well in the Championship - and we were really looking for the next generation of centres. Mikey Sherlock was tearing up trees at full-back / back-three and Mike Ruddock was raving about Foster Horan, particularly his pace.

Barry got selected for the game against SA in Junior World Cup in S Africa and played decent but not great in a forward-oriented game. He was then picked against England and marked Bassett (Wasps v Ulster last weekend) and again in the 5th place play-off against England when he scored the first try when we beat England.

Barry was fine but not killer and our stocks were full of wingers. Neither the academy nor the Squad needed more wingers and Academy places were going where we needed to fill the basket.

Nobody's "fault" per se, just an inability to foresee the future and a period when we assumed (mistakenly) that the slots were full for wingers.

The real difference however was Barry's performances in 2014-5 for UCD when he was scoring tries for fun, in a manner he hadn't done before. Pace and confidence were his hallmarks then and he deserves where he has arrived to now.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

mildlyinterested wrote:As was Harrison Brewer.

Both back playing backrow professionally now.
Yeah, but I really think Coughlan had much more talent than Brewer. Could have played at the highest level I reckon. Good leader too. Big shame.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Spellster wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
And in those 4 caps he beat England, France and South Africa and lost to England. This was the main thing I remembered from him at underage.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK9JIdQWfQ0.

Nelson too
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:proves he should have been given an academy offer when he was under-20, something a lot of people thought at the time.
How so? He developed and proved himself through a different route, no?

Surely the outcome of that development can’t be used as evidence that he should have been given an academy position?
how is it a different route?

he would have been playing AIL and 7's while in the academy.

If anything if he had joined the academy at 19, he'd probably have broken through earlier.
route a - going through the academy
different route - not going through the academy

seems like two different routes there, no?

Answer the question
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Answer the question
both routes involve playing AIL rugby and 7's rugby, so very little difference at the end of the day bar the extra training, S&C support etc.

If he had went into the academy, i think it's fair to say he'd have emerged earlier.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Answer the question
both routes involve playing AIL rugby and 7's rugby, so very little difference at the end of the day bar the extra training, S&C support etc.

If he had went into the academy, i think it's fair to say he'd have emerged earlier.
Is it really that simple? Maybe the rejection gave him the extra impetus to prove doubters wrong but then again maybe he could be starting winger for Ireland. We don't/won't know.

What matters is that he's with Leinster now and playing well.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

jimbobjoe wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Answer the question

Is it really that simple? Maybe the rejection gave him the extra impetus to prove doubters wrong but then again maybe he could be starting winger for Ireland. We don't/won't know.

What matters is that he's with Leinster now and playing well.
it's never simple, and yes I agree very happy he is playing well for Leinster.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Answer the question

Grand so - he proved himself going a different route.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Answer the question

Grand so - he proved himself going a different route.
Proved himself playing AIL rugby and 7's before signing for Leinster and playing A games and training with the senior team.. just like an academy player would.

As I said, if he had joined the academy after u20 level, he'd have played for the senior team earlier. IMO.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Fair enough, I still don’t accept that current form can be used to argue decisions made at a point in time in the past.

And besides it has to be a motivation to players not in the professional schools that have little or no hope of selection for the academy that there is more than one route to the professional game.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Fair enough, I still don’t accept that current form can be used to argue decisions made at a point in time in the past.

And besides it has to be a motivation to players not in the professional schools that have little or no hope of selection for the academy that there is more than one route to the professional game.
Barry Daly went to Gonzaga, it's not Michael or Blackrock but it's a pretty big rugby school all the same.

In fact back in the day, a club player was chosen over Daly, a schools player. So I reject the idea club players have "little or no hope of selection for the academy"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Fair enough, I still don’t accept that current form can be used to argue decisions made at a point in time in the past.

Got it in one.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote:

Barry Daly went to Gonzaga, it's not Michael or Blackrock but it's a pretty big rugby school all the same.

In fact back in the day, a club player was chosen over Daly, a schools player. So I reject the idea club players have "little or no hope of selection for the academy"
What schools did the bulk of sub academy and academy entrants go to?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

What schools did the bulk of sub academy and academy entrants go to?
St. Michaels and Blackrock for the full academy anyway, unsurprisingly as they have the best coaching for rugby skills and S&C.

Not going to complain about that fact, as without those schools Leinster rugby would be in a much worse position.

Leinster do a better job than the other provinces in getting players from club only background into sub academy and full academy FYI.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on October 20th, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.