Leinster v Montpellier, Saturday, 1pm, RDS

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Montpellier, Saturday, 1pm, RDS

Post by Logorrhea »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Ah that’s harsh folks. Saying afraid of getting hurt is an unfair statement to make in my eyes.
I think I was the only one that said that so its not the consensus by any means, and I wouldnt suggest to know what goes on in his head, but he tackled LIKE someone that was afraid to get hurt. Lots of throwing shapes, losts of effort, but no real committment.

For me I thought that attempt on Nadolo on 60 mins summed it up. He didnt want to make that tackle. No other reason for him to miss it so badly.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

There’s been no mention of it here yet but what did everybody make of Montpellier leaving us waiting for the guard of honour and were we right to give up waiting for them and leave the pitch?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Ah that’s harsh folks. Saying afraid of getting hurt is an unfair statement to make in my eyes. He’s not the first and will not be the last to struggle against Nandolo. I’ve seen him play for Fiji, the crusaders and Montpellier a fair amount of times at this stage. I can only recall one man ever bringing him down in open country. Robbie Henshaw. And he only managed it once, he got rightly run over the rest of the time. Work does need to be done, but I’d cut a little slack. Nandolo is more undefendable than Bastareaud in his pomp.

It’s worth watching last year’s highlights from the away game. Zane Kirchner and Rob Kearney - 2 players who’d have a good defensive reputation - did not have their sorrows to seek that day. I’ll include the obligatory Nandolo highlights package too. Plenty of good players in supporting roles in that movie. And I’ll tell you what, he’s got bigger since then. He could do with shedding a kilo or two to help his own defence.

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/video ... phone&tt=b

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/video ... phone&tt=b

Really?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think that if he were afraid of getting hurt he wouldn't, repeatedly, have make attempts to tackle the guy in a way that would guarantee he got hurt
I have Bumbleflex
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Xanthippe wrote:There’s been no mention of it here yet but what did everybody make of Montpellier leaving us waiting for the guard of honour and were we right to give up waiting for them and leave the pitch?
I noticed that they stayed in a huddle on the pitch for a while after full time but I didn't spot that Leinster were waiting for them. I guess there's only so long you'll wait before it's obvious the other team are staying where they are.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Xanthippe wrote:There’s been no mention of it here yet but what did everybody make of Montpellier leaving us waiting for the guard of honour and were we right to give up waiting for them and leave the pitch?
Didn't notice that, but if true, then we were right to leave.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Wayne Barnes got almost no pre match grief this time round.
Good referee management.
Ruan seemed to get on his wrong side too.
Thought he was solid, even when the pressure came on, didn't panic and was consistent in his interpretation and application of the laws.
How would other punters rate Barnes yesterday.
Last edited by Oldschool on October 15th, 2017, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

How would punters rate our coaches performance yesterday.
Tactics used, team selection and substitution use and timing.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:Wayne Barnes got almost no pre match grief this time round.
Good referee management.
Ruan seemed to get on his side too.
Thought he was solid, even when the pressure came on, didn't panic and was consistent in his interpretation and application of the laws.
How would other punters rate Barnes yesterday.
Other than seeming to want to disallow Josh's try for an imagined hand under the ball, he was less irritating than normal.

Saw on the TV recording afterwards that he warned Pienaar for constant appealing. Seemed to work there too.

So I suppose a (grudging) 7 out of 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Sense of both elation and a small bit of disappointment when the final whistle went yesterday...just disappointed that we had to sweat that bit towards the end as I thought we had the game home and hosed but Elation over the sheer determination, character and bloody mindedness to win

Some young lads really really stood up..biggest one for me was James Ryan, thrown in last minute but was fantastic
Along with Carberry bar the opening exchanges, Conan, Henshaw, Big Dev and Furlong were the stand outs
Daly took his try so well, loved the way he angles his body into contact to get the ball down

Thought Reid, Cronin and Healy added real value from the bench and hopefully Cronin/Healy get a start next week as I think they've deserve it (huge penalty scrum 5m out in dying minutes comes to mind)

Overall just delighted with the BP and move on to Glasgow
Andrew097
Bookworm

Post by Andrew097 »

Great stuff from a young Leinster team in the face of tough big proven players. Once again young newcomers looked eager to write their part of Leinster rugby. daly and Ryan put in great performances. But to win playing so so is a big result.

The forwards were just relentless in their face all afternoon not bad set pieces except for one bad scrum. Would not worry about Byrne a bit of time with the tackle bag on technique and also picking the correct tackle for the opponent. Really a coaching thing and easily fixed. Lovely finish by Carbery when the space gets tight, no chance of a dislodge and wonderful finish by Daly against three for his try. It was a half chance but with that determination and smarts he gave them no chance. The half backs gave me heart failure once or twice but considering they were not great we still won.

If you had offered me that result before the game I would have bitten your arm off.
I,m a Barnes critic but we got two nice calls from him at the end so I,ll hold my powder dry on this occasion
slit my wrists and its blue blood.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Lot more confident about our trip to Scotstoun after that. Team looked well coached and were fighting for each other. James Ryan is amazing! My prediction after the Joe Jolly to the States and Japan, that he'd be first XV choice in blue by the end of the season looks to be standing up quite well. For anyone who'd like to watch the full match again, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBxVz6LL3Tg
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I was sitting in the Anglesea so looking at Byrne v Nadolo for the first half and I have to say I don't understand the comments above at all. Byrne was electric with the ball in hand and his change of direction at pace caused huge problems for Montpelier. FIrst carry Nadolo had Byrne threw himself at him. As with a couple more in the next few minutes it wasn't successful but it took the sting out of him and allowd completion by teammates. Nacewa and Henshaw made successful tap tackles on him but the only player able to stop him dead was Toner. No surprise as he was the player not giving up 40kg... I was thinking at the match that I was right, Nadolo is the kind of player who doesn't expose Byrne's positional inconsistencies as he doesn't bamboozle anyone. And frankly, I thought Nadolo looked like a really, really big, really really average player out there. He didn't fancy some of the running he had to do and operated more effectively as a forward than as a back.
Saw a bit of the match on the telly after and begin to see why Daly's contribution was so highly rated.

I still think Carberry looks like a great footballer but not a full back. He lets the ball bounce. He causes chaos by not knowing where he should be, where the ball is going, and allowing the opposition to kick to the backfield for gain. Stopping that is the number one task of the fullback. He looks brilliant as a playmaker. Not as a fullback where he regularly coughs up possession in dangerous positions and creates opportunities for the opposition. They didn't particularly take those yesterday (apart from one in the second half) but Wasps did for example.
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

Great result, while still having several areas to improve on. Set piece and defensive maul were good, took our chances clinically, Ryan and Daly both very good on Euro debut, we never stopped tackling and working against much bigger men! On downside, our kicking game was very poor, both uncontested box kicks and several miscues from Byrne and Carbery, need to protect ruckball better (were turned over 5\6 times in opposition territory, and some poor individual defensive errors. Improve in a few of these areas and we've good chance in Glasgow.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

fourthirtythree wrote:I was sitting in the Anglesea so looking at Byrne v Nadolo for the first half and I have to say I don't understand the comments above at all. Byrne was electric with the ball in hand and his change of direction at pace caused huge problems for Montpelier. FIrst carry Nadolo had Byrne threw himself at him. As with a couple more in the next few minutes it wasn't successful but it took the sting out of him and allowd completion by teammates. Nacewa and Henshaw made successful tap tackles on him but the only player able to stop him dead was Toner. No surprise as he was the player not giving up 40kg... I was thinking at the match that I was right, Nadolo is the kind of player who doesn't expose Byrne's positional inconsistencies as he doesn't bamboozle anyone. And frankly, I thought Nadolo looked like a really, really big, really really average player out there. He didn't fancy some of the running he had to do and operated more effectively as a forward than as a back.
Saw a bit of the match on the telly after and begin to see why Daly's contribution was so highly rated.

I still think Carberry looks like a great footballer but not a full back. He lets the ball bounce. He causes chaos by not knowing where he should be, where the ball is going, and allowing the opposition to kick to the backfield for gain. Stopping that is the number one task of the fullback. He looks brilliant as a playmaker. Not as a fullback where he regularly coughs up possession in dangerous positions and creates opportunities for the opposition. They didn't particularly take those yesterday (apart from one in the second half) but Wasps did for example.

Yeah I thought similar to you. I think what let Byrne down at times was the kicking of his team mates. I guess Leinster decided they were gonna try and over work a big lazy player in Nadolo by turning him a lot and get him challenged in the air, he had something like 20 carries. What actually happened most times was they kicked it down his throat which allowed him to do what he does. So if we get beyond our poor execution Byrne actually slowed him down most of the time with good kick chase and others followed up with secondary tackles, it is how most teams deal with a big guy like that and we did it pretty well. None of that is to say I think Byrne is a good defender by any means but he did a decent job in the situation yesterday. The real gains for them were made up the middle when ISA went off.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Andrew097 wrote:Great stuff from a young Leinster team in the face of tough big proven players. Once again young newcomers looked eager to write their part of Leinster rugby. daly and Ryan put in great performances. But to win playing so so is a big result.

The forwards were just relentless in their face all afternoon not bad set pieces except for one bad scrum. Would not worry about Byrne a bit of time with the tackle bag on technique and also picking the correct tackle for the opponent. Really a coaching thing and easily fixed. Lovely finish by Carbery when the space gets tight, no chance of a dislodge and wonderful finish by Daly against three for his try. It was a half chance but with that determination and smarts he gave them no chance. The half backs gave me heart failure once or twice but considering they were not great we still won.

If you had offered me that result before the game I would have bitten your arm off.
I,m a Barnes critic but we got two nice calls from him at the end so I,ll hold my powder dry on this occasion
+1.

I must confess I had this down as a probable Montpelier win, once I knew Sexton was out. My ace in the hole was that Vern had never brough a successful team to the RDS. When I heard he hadn't travelled, I was sure it was curtains.

Given the lack of control exerted on the game by our half-backs, this was a great five points. The defensive display against a very strong French team with confidence, size and strength was superb. Yes we missed tackles, particularly on Nadolo, but we worked really hard covering for each other.

The stand-out performers were numerous. Furlong, Dev, Ryan, JVDF, Isa, Henshaw, Daly and Carbery all met that standard in my view. Healy and Reid joined the list during their stints.

IMO, nobody played below expectations. A couple were below my hopes for the day. Criticisms there are for a couple, certainly, given their progression. McGrath reverted to a lower standard, particularly with his kicking which was mis-directed and far too ponderous in preparation which provided the opposition back-three with time to get into position.

Ross Byrne was better with ball in hand than I could have hoped but two or three passes were sub-standard when he has shown he can execute to such a high standard e.g. his perfect pass for Carbery's try. However, his startling acceleration and break from right to left in the first half created a great opportunity for an offload inside the opposition 22. Make that pass after a 15m line-break and Leinster would probably have scored another but, more importantly, Montpelier would have had to alter their defensive plan which assumed we would not break from No 10.

Adam Byrne, defensively, matched my worst fears but his attacking play almost compensated for those flaws. The necessary improvements are coachable because he is not afraid of contact, just inept as to which body position he applies.

McGrath J, Treacy, Conan, Ruddock all had great work-rates against huge opponents without ever hitting their top form. Credit in particular to Treacy for the quality of throwing which was very effective.

The Coaching ticket deserve huge kudos. The overall disruption to their season plans by injury have been substantial and missing Sexton was a huge blow. But the effectiveness of the defence complimented the strike running which delivered two of our tries.

Finally a special word for Noel Reid who was thrown into the Lions' Den much earlier than anticipated. His tackling was technically excellent and brave in execution. His passing, as always, was a thing of beauty and his choice of options very impressive. In the continued absence of Isa and Gary Ringrose, Reid and Henshaw look more complete and dangerous than Henshaw and O'Loughlin.

Overall, missing Rob K, Lowe, Ringrose, Sexton, Fardy, SO'B, Leavy and Jamie against a team dominating the Top 14 and producing a five point return, was a great achievement. That it caused the fans so much angst was regrettable but that's sport.

With regard to the Leinster supporters, the Marketing team must have used the entire budget getting the bodies into the Aviva a week ago. The bonus was not in a full house yesterday but the energy and passion of those who turned up. A very knowlegible crowd quite prepared to cheer their team when necessary and let them know they were there when needed. Definitely the 16th man on the day.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Andrew097 wrote:Great stuff from a young Leinster team in the face of tough big proven players. Once again young newcomers looked eager to write their part of Leinster rugby. daly and Ryan put in great performances. But to win playing so so is a big result.

+1.

I must confess I had this down as a probable Montpelier win, once I knew Sexton was out. My ace in the hole was that Vern had never brough a successful team to the RDS. When I heard he hadn't travelled, I was sure it was curtains.

Given the lack of control exerted on the game by our half-backs, this was a great five points. The defensive display against a very strong French team with confidence, size and strength was superb. Yes we missed tackles, particularly on Nadolo, but we worked really hard covering for each other.

The stand-out performers were numerous. Furlong, Dev, Ryan, JVDF, Isa, Henshaw, Daly and Carbery all met that standard in my view. Healy and Reid joined the list during their stints.

IMO, nobody played below expectations. A couple were below my hopes for the day. Criticisms there are for a couple, certainly, given their progression. McGrath reverted to a lower standard, particularly with his kicking which was mis-directed and far too ponderous in preparation which provided the opposition back-three with time to get into position.

Ross Byrne was better with ball in hand than I could have hoped but two or three passes were sub-standard when he has shown he can execute to such a high standard e.g. his perfect pass for Carbery's try. However, his startling acceleration and break from right to left in the first half created a great opportunity for an offload inside the opposition 22. Make that pass after a 15m line-break and Leinster would probably have scored another but, more importantly, Montpelier would have had to alter their defensive plan which assumed we would not break from No 10.

Adam Byrne, defensively, matched my worst fears but his attacking play almost compensated for those flaws. The necessary improvements are coachable because he is not afraid of contact, just inept as to which body position he applies.

McGrath J, Treacy, Conan, Ruddock all had great work-rates against huge opponents without ever hitting their top form. Credit in particular to Treacy for the quality of throwing which was very effective.

The Coaching ticket deserve huge kudos. The overall disruption to their season plans by injury have been substantial and missing Sexton was a huge blow. But the effectiveness of the defence complimented the strike running which delivered two of our tries.

Finally a special word for Noel Reid who was thrown into the Lions' Den much earlier than anticipated. His tackling was technically excellent and brave in execution. His passing, as always, was a thing of beauty and his choice of options very impressive. In the continued absence of Isa and Gary Ringrose, Reid and Henshaw look more complete and dangerous than Henshaw and O'Loughlin.

Overall, missing Rob K, Lowe, Ringrose, Sexton, Fardy, SO'B, Leavy and Jamie against a team dominating the Top 14 and producing a five point return, was a great achievement. That it caused the fans so much angst was regrettable but that's sport.

With regard to the Leinster supporters, the Marketing team must have used the entire budget getting the bodies into the Aviva a week ago. The bonus was not in a full house yesterday but the energy and passion of those who turned up. A very knowlegible crowd quite prepared to cheer their team when necessary and let them know they were there when needed. Definitely the 16th man on the day.
Great synopsis! +1! :clap:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

That was one of the best games I've seen Dev play for Leinster. I thought he was really impressive in every phase of the game – great lineout work, solid scrum, extremely busy and effective tackler, good handling and carrying and a really noticeable presence in broken play.

James Ryan is just outstanding; he's an international already so it shouldn't be surprising that he plays like an international, but that was only his fifth professional game. There's no limit for him.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:That was one of the best games I've seen Dev play for Leinster. I thought he was really impressive in every phase of the game – great lineout work, solid scrum, extremely busy and effective tackler, good handling and carrying and a really noticeable presence in broken play.

James Ryan is just outstanding; he's an international already so it shouldn't be surprising that he plays like an international, but that was only his fifth professional game. There's no limit for him.
Wouldn't underestimate the complimentary affect that each of the SRs had on each other. The sum of the parts etc.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dev is in fantastic form actually. Hopefully he keeps it up.