Leinster v Montpellier, Saturday, 1pm, RDS

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Montpellier, Saturday, 1pm, RDS

Post by wixfjord »

Europe rolls around again.
Must say I’m apprehensive about this game (and this group overall).
Vital to get a win here or we’re under pressure already.

However, Mont did lose away to Stade at the weekend with a pretty handy team out, and they might have some flashbacks of being taken apart last year over here.

SOB and Isa both possible returnees: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3248816

The team I’d go with:
McGrath, Tracy, Furlong, Fardy, Toner, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Isa, Henshaw, ROL, Byrne, Carbery
Healy, Cronin, Bent, Molony, SOB, JGP, Byrne, Ferg

I’d be very worried about Nadolo and Nagusa, particularly the former.
Would sacrifice Daly for Isa to give a bit more experience in that back three. Still, ROL and Byrne would worry me defensively.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Montpellier, Saturday, 1pm, RDS

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:I’d be very worried about Nadolo and Nagusa, particularly the former.
Would sacrifice Daly for Isa to give a bit more experience in that back three. Still, ROL and Byrne would worry me defensively.
I would be worried about them...particularly if our scrum gets dominated again.
It's a tough call: I think Byrne could actually do well if we use the same tactic of high kick-passes; however, I would be worried about him in defence.
Any chance we might see Isa-Henshaw in midfield, with ROL on the wing? I'm sure they're also thinking about Ferg on the wing.
Nadolo scored two against us last year but one of them was a soft intercept from a bit of headless play by Heaslip. He ran through Kearney for the other (Isa and Zane were wingers that day).

They were an utter disgrace in the RDS in January. Terrible attitude before Steyn got sent off. I'm sure they will want to give a different account of themselves.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I’d be very worried about Nadolo and Nagusa, particularly the former.
I would be worried about them...particularly if our scrum gets dominated again.
It's a tough call: I think Byrne could actually do well if we use the same tactic of high kick-passes; however, I would be worried about him in defence.
Any chance we might see Isa-Henshaw in midfield, with ROL on the wing? I'm sure they're also thinking about Ferg on the wing.
Nadolo scored two against us last year but one of them was a soft intercept from a bit of headless play by Heaslip. He ran through Kearney for the other (Isa and Zane were wingers that day).

They were an utter disgrace in the RDS in January. Terrible attitude before Steyn got sent off. I'm sure they will want to give a different account of themselves.
Intercept try - We looked like we were an intercept try waiting to happen on Saturday.
While Byrne has defence issues I wouldn't judge him too harshly for Earls first try, your money would be on Earls in that situation everytime.
It was Earls and Tommy O'Donnell's to muck up.
The type of thing that Byrne was criticised for last season was coming in off his man.
Looks like he's trying to fix that by rote rather than having the ability to read situations.
Hopefully what is rote today will become instinct tomorrow and his defence will continue to improve.
Against Montpellier might not be the time for the next lesson tho'.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

SOB will come straight in to 6 I reckon. If Josh can put the same pressure he put on Cruden as he did Keatley he could be our most important player.

Tough call to say who misses out over Rhys or Jordi. Would Leo look at a 6/2?

I could see Isa coming back in on the wing to try and curb Montpelliers monstrous options they have. Would spell good news for ROL

Picamoles hasn't played for Mont the last 3 weekends. Is he injured?

Their form on the road as per most French teams hasn't been great either.

Call me cautiously optimistic
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote: While Byrne has defence issues I wouldn't judge him too harshly for Earls first try, your money would be on Earls in that situation everytime.
The type of thing that Byrne was criticised for last season was coming in off his man.
Looks like he's trying to fix that by rote rather than having the ability to read situations.
Hopefully what is rote today will become instinct tomorrow and his defence will continue to improve.
He made an absolute defensive hames of Earls first try. Carbery even told him to stay out but he bit in and gave Earls the space he needed to get in.
The type of thing he's being criticised for is his defensive positioning, and that caught him again.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

wixfjord wrote:
Oldschool wrote: While Byrne has defence issues I wouldn't judge him too harshly for Earls first try, your money would be on Earls in that situation everytime.
He made an absolute defensive hames of Earls first try. Carbery even told him to stay out but he bit in and gave Earls the space he needed to get in.
The type of thing he's being criticised for is his defensive positioning, and that caught him again.
That was bad, clear as day Carbery had TOD covered and was pointing for Byrne to stay out, it is possible Byrne was anticipating a switch, but in reality he was caught ball watching and lost Earls totally
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I would worry about McFadden far more at 11 than 14
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It was really poor and, as pointed out, not some kind of abberation. It's normal.

I'm also concerned about the scrum. It hasn't been particularly good so far. At the weekend we had the full first choice out against a not particularly good Munster tight five and we did not dominate as we should have if you look at the personnel.

That said the lineout was functioning so maybe this weekend the scrum clicks...
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

We are at home in the RDS with most of our players back and with some gametime under their belf and yes Saturday was not perfect but they did step up and I would be optimistic they will do so again this Saturday first home game in Europe.We also need plenty of nosie to make it as hostile as possible and I believe the home win will be ours
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

wixfjord wrote:Europe rolls around again.
Must say I’m apprehensive about this game (and this group overall).
Vital to get a win here or we’re under pressure already.

However, Mont did lose away to Stade at the weekend with a pretty handy team out, and they might have some flashbacks of being taken apart last year over here.

SOB and Isa both possible returnees: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3248816

The team I’d go with:
McGrath, Tracy, Furlong, Fardy, Toner, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Isa, Henshaw, ROL, Byrne, Carbery
Healy, Cronin, Bent, Molony, SOB, JGP, Byrne, Ferg

I’d be very worried about Nadolo and Nagusa, particularly the former.
I'd probably start Daly & Byrne again. Although Byrnes defence is shocking, the high ball tactic proved very fruitful.

Daly looked solid on Saturday, didn't have a huge amount to do but did well when called upon.

I'd also be tempted to bring Healy in from the start.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I'd start Ciano ahead of Jack, SO'B at blindside and have Rhys as second row finisher on the bench with Jordi covering 6 to 8.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

The big call is Adam Byrne. Do you overlook his obvious Defensive frailties for his obvious aerial threat?

I'm glad I don't have to make that call. Could be season defining :shock:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:SOB will come straight in to 6 I reckon. If Josh can put the same pressure he put on Cruden as he did Keatley he could be our most important player.
At one stage on Saturday Josh even managed to put pressure on Murray at the back of a scrum, and it did seem legal too, he was electric off the mark when the chance came up.

I have concerns about Adam too and even one defensive error could cost us the result against a team of this quality, but one thing I'd say is that physicality is probably more important against Nadolo than making good reads (except for his ability to offload which will mean ROL and Joey need to watch the inside runners very carefully), and Adam is generally fine in that department. I've only seen a small bit of Montpellier this season but they didn't seem to have much subtlety, very powerful, quick, and execute really well, but if Johnny and Henshaw keep up the linespeed from Saturday then that should really help to shut them down and help our poorer defenders out wide.

My biggest worry is that we won't back up the improvement in our lineout, but if we manage to do that then I think we'll be alright.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

riocard911 wrote:I'd start Ciano ahead of Jack
Why? Genuine question.
Thought Healy looked to struggle in the scrum at times this season...and Montpellier have a very strong scrum.
I also like the option of him coming on with Cronin to up the tempo. He is still carrying well (when his handling is ok). It didn't really yield much at the weekend but the theory is good: bring on Cronin, Healy, JGP to up the tempo.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

curates_egg wrote:
Why? Genuine question.
Thought Healy looked to struggle in the scrum at times this season...and Montpellier have a very strong scrum.
I also like the option of him coming on with Cronin to up the tempo. He is still carrying well (when his handling is ok). It didn't really yield much at the weekend but the theory is good: bring on Cronin, Healy, JGP to up the tempo.
I thought Healy was one of the stand-out players on the Joe tour in the Summer and has done well since the start of the season in blue. Jack McGrath has been kind of anonymous vs Scarlets, on the Lions tour and this season. That's a purely subjective impression. There well may be stuff I'm missing. I just seems to me that Ciano is in slightly better form - and he's been a big match winner for us in the past, which I reckon must stand for something. We talk about competition for places driving players to perform better. Giving Healy the number 1 shirt could push himself and McGrath upwards and onwards. The latter would have to prove that he also offers something in terms of impact off the bench, the former would be looking to validate the coaches' trust in him (e.g. by not giving away stupid penos for example!!!)
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

riocard911 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Why? Genuine question.
I thought Healy was one of the stand-out players on the Joe tour in the Summer and has done well since the start of the season in blue. Jack McGrath has been kind of anonymous vs Scarlets, on the Lions tour and this season. That's a purely subjective impression. There well may be stuff I'm missing. I just seems to me that Ciano is in slightly better form - and he's been a big match winner for us in the past, which I reckon must stand for something. We talk about competition for places driving players to perform better. Giving Healy the number 1 shirt could push himself and McGrath upwards and onwards. The latter would have to prove that he also offers something in terms of impact off the bench, the former would be looking to validate the coaches' trust in him (e.g. by not giving away stupid penos for example!!!)
For me, you pick the strongest scrummaging prop to try and get some parity in the first 50 minutes. I would have thought that were McGrath but I might be wrong.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Curate's Egg: "For me, you pick the strongest scrummaging prop to try and get some parity in the first 50 minutes. I would have thought that were McGrath but I might be wrong."

I with you 100%. But is Healy that far behind McGrath in the scrum? I'm not sure. Certainly the former seems to offer more around the pitch.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

riocard911 wrote:Curate's Egg: "For me, you pick the strongest scrummaging prop to try and get some parity in the first 50 minutes. I would have thought that were McGrath but I might be wrong."

I with you 100%. But is Healy that far behind McGrath in the scrum? I'm not sure. Certainly the former seems to offer more around the pitch.
Agree that against Montpellier we have to start our strongest scummaging props - based on the last two games, that means starting Bent at tight head - toss of a coin for loose head.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ryan/Nacewa trained today.
No sign of SOB.
Sexton/Carbery sat out.
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

mildlyinterested wrote:Ryan/Nacewa trained today.
No sign of SOB.
Sexton/Carbery sat out.
Carbery took a few hits on the weekend.

Good to see Ica back training.