Re: Leinster A 17-18

Post by Fred Funk »

Jack Kelly to the bench, Rotation?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Fred Funk wrote:Jack Kelly to the bench, Rotation?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Presumably.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

15. Jack Wallace; 14. Ryan Edwards, 13. Jack Tovey (c), 12. Will Hurrell, 11. Aaron Chapman; 10. Billy Searle, 9. Ryan Glynn; 1. Jack O’Connell, 2. Ben Gompels, 3. Ollie Dawe, 4. Giorgi Nemsadze, 5. Joe Batley, 6. Max Cresswell (Bristol University), 7. Jack Capon, 8. Sam Graham (Chippenham RFC).

Replacements: 16. Jordon Liney, 17. Jack Cosgrove, 18. Alex Giltrow, 19. George Kloska (Bristol Academy U18s), 20. Reiss Cullen, 21. James Newey, 22. Iwan Hughes.

UNAVAILABLE: Max Crumpton (knee), Ross McMillan (hamstring), Tyler Gendall (knee), John Hawkins (knee), Joe Latta (ankle), Dan Tuohy (shoulder), Ehize Ehizode (shoulder), Steven Luatua (ribs), Nick Haining (shoulder), James Dun (knee), Thretton Palamo (foot), Sam Bedlow (ankle).
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Jack O'Connell get's a go off Benty but Madser gets the day off.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Just noticed Ross Moloney not injured. That's great for the 3 x interpros
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:Jack O'Connell get's a go off Benty but Madser gets the day off.
As does Jason Harris Wright.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So.... Anyone going to this? Seems to be a lot of people otherwise engaged at this time of year
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

johng wrote:So.... Anyone going to this? Seems to be a lot of people otherwise engaged at this time of year
Yep. I will be there. Crimble shopping and cards completed last week, so am free as a bird. Thermals at the ready!
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Not too many islanders playing for the Boss this evening. Obviously still suffering from the hard-tackling Leinstermen last week in the big Stadium.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Half-time: Leinster 'A' 33 Bristol 5. Brilliant first half from the lads, five tries and a bonus point in the bag. #LEIvBRI #BICup
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Finished 50 v 15
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Not sure if there's any significance to it but Peter Dooley wasn't on the bench tonight as per the official team announced yesterday. Also Molony, Nagle and Ed Byrne went off with injuries, not sure if any were serious.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Bristol were fairly rubbish early on. They couldn't cope with our experienced guys' physicality but I'm not sure how much they really tried to. But you can only play what's in front of you and I thought Bryan Byrne and Molony were excellent. Byrne was everywhere, played like a man possessed. He ran great lines, showed good hands, and himself and Molony worked as a double act in defence and were really hungry for work and combined really well. Molony had a couple of lineout steals too, only negative for him was over committing on the ball carrier on a couple of occasions (something hes done for the first team quite a bit). One of those occasions was when two front rowers combined for an inside ball and Molony left the gap for him to waltz through. That was poor but he was good overall. Of the more experienced lads I thought Bent's attitude was great considering the level of the game, the highlight being when he threw someone to the ground at a ruck.

That was the first game where Timmins looked like a pro backrower to me. He was excellent, absolutely everywhere and looked really powerful. Connors was superb as well, possibly would have given him MOTM, would have been him, Byrne, or Timmins IMO. He just reads the game so well and never stops working, reminds me of Josh except less powerful but with more handling ability. Having put in a serious shift he came up with a huge hit in the last minute, then counter rucked and stole the ball, phenomenal workrate.

It was the best game I've seen Mullin play. He faded a bit in attack after the first half an hour but he was good before that. I counted three times where he saved us with his cover defence, tracked the ball carriers really well and tackled impressively. On one of those occasions he got back up straight away and tackled the first receiver behind the gainline too.Tommy O'Brien was similarly hungry in defence, he really likes his aggressive hits. They worked well in tandem actually. O'Brien didn't see much ball but looked great when he did, and he was very vocal too.

Keenan was pretty average, had one great chance to run in a try but just wasn't quick enough and I'm not sure he offers enough elsewhere to make up for that. Jack Kelly came on for him and had an absolute nightmare. He got caught narrow in the first play and they scored down his wing, didn't get near the winger. Then straight after that they kicked in behind him, he couldn't collect and then made a really poor effort to tackle their wing who went over for the try. Frawley didn't help with his positioning which was badly exposed once Bristol started getting more of the ball. Pretty sure the next time Kelly got the ball he was tackled into touch, which wasn't actually bad play by him but just summed up his night. Then there were a couple of times when he was totally unsure of what to do in defence. He was chatting with Rock and Frawley respectively about where they should all be but Kelly was so indecisive about whether to join the line or stay back. It almost looked like his first time playing on the wing.

Kelleher pretty good when he came off the bench, you'd never guess he's s young.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Thanks guys
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Was impressed with Bryan Byrne's lineouts last night. Usually the weakest part of his game but don't recall any lost lineouts.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Bristol were fairly rubbish early on. They couldn't cope with our experienced guys' physicality but I'm not sure how much they really tried to. But you can only play what's in front of you and I thought Bryan Byrne and Molony were excellent. Byrne was everywhere, played like a man possessed. He ran great lines, showed good hands, and himself and Molony worked as a double act in defence and were really hungry for work and combined really well. Molony had a couple of lineout steals too, only negative for him was over committing on the ball carrier on a couple of occasions (something hes done for the first team quite a bit). One of those occasions was when two front rowers combined for an inside ball and Molony left the gap for him to waltz through. That was poor but he was good overall. Of the more experienced lads I thought Bent's attitude was great considering the level of the game, the highlight being when he threw someone to the ground at a ruck.

That was the first game where Timmins looked like a pro backrower to me. He was excellent, absolutely everywhere and looked really powerful. Connors was superb as well, possibly would have given him MOTM, would have been him, Byrne, or Timmins IMO. He just reads the game so well and never stops working, reminds me of Josh except less powerful but with more handling ability. Having put in a serious shift he came up with a huge hit in the last minute, then counter rucked and stole the ball, phenomenal workrate.

It was the best game I've seen Mullin play. He faded a bit in attack after the first half an hour but he was good before that. I counted three times where he saved us with his cover defence, tracked the ball carriers really well and tackled impressively. On one of those occasions he got back up straight away and tackled the first receiver behind the gainline too.Tommy O'Brien was similarly hungry in defence, he really likes his aggressive hits. They worked well in tandem actually. O'Brien didn't see much ball but looked great when he did, and he was very vocal too.

Keenan was pretty average, had one great chance to run in a try but just wasn't quick enough and I'm not sure he offers enough elsewhere to make up for that. Jack Kelly came on for him and had an absolute nightmare. He got caught narrow in the first play and they scored down his wing, didn't get near the winger. Then straight after that they kicked in behind him, he couldn't collect and then made a really poor effort to tackle their wing who went over for the try. Frawley didn't help with his positioning which was badly exposed once Bristol started getting more of the ball. Pretty sure the next time Kelly got the ball he was tackled into touch, which wasn't actually bad play by him but just summed up his night. Then there were a couple of times when he was totally unsure of what to do in defence. He was chatting with Rock and Frawley respectively about where they should all be but Kelly was so indecisive about whether to join the line or stay back. It almost looked like his first time playing on the wing.

Kelleher pretty good when he came off the bench, you'd never guess he's s young.
Excellent report and totally agree with your assessments.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Bristol were fairly rubbish early on. They couldn't cope with our experienced guys' physicality but I'm not sure how much they really tried to. But you can only play what's in front of you and I thought Bryan Byrne and Molony were excellent. Byrne was everywhere, played like a man possessed. He ran great lines, showed good hands, and himself and Molony worked as a double act in defence and were really hungry for work and combined really well. Molony had a couple of lineout steals too, only negative for him was over committing on the ball carrier on a couple of occasions (something hes done for the first team quite a bit). One of those occasions was when two front rowers combined for an inside ball and Molony left the gap for him to waltz through. That was poor but he was good overall. Of the more experienced lads I thought Bent's attitude was great considering the level of the game, the highlight being when he threw someone to the ground at a ruck.

Excellent report and totally agree with your assessments.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Was sitting up near Leocaster. Was tempted to ask if Timmins was slightly to old and slightly to tall to be a hooker. He had some nice carries.

Scrum was well on top. Benty probably very instrumental in that.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

How'd Aungier get on when he came off the bench? Same with Dowling and Doris.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mildlyinterested wrote:How'd Aungier get on when he came off the bench? Same with Dowling and Doris.
Pretty good. He came on at lose head. Benty played 80. Not sure what happened with Dooley but he was in the crowd rather than on the bench. Dowling looked good and strong and I think he played a lot of the 2nd half with Josh Murphy in the 2nd row and we were still hammering their scrum. Dorris looks tougher each time I see him. especially when you consider his age.

Bristol weren't quite as bad as the scoreline suggested and had a reasonable amount of possession.