Leinster A 17-18

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster A 17-18

Post by cormac »

Team to play Bristol tomorrow

15 Ciaran Frawley, 14 Jack Kelly, 13 Gavin Mullin, 12 Conor O'Brien, 11 Tommy O'Brien, 10 Cathal Marsh, 9 Charlie Rock; 1 Peter Dooley, 2 Bryan Byrne, 3 Vakh Abdaladze, 4 Josh Murphy, 5 Ian Nagle, 6 Peadar Timmins, 7 Will Connors, 8 Max Deegan

16 Ronan Kelleher, 17 Ed Byrne, 18 Cormac Daly, 19 Caelan Doris, 20 Hugh O'Sullivan, 21 Ian Fitzpatrick, 22 Hugo Keenan
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Notable information from A team announcement:

Ciaran Frawley at 15 ahead of Jack Kelly who is on the wing.
Tommy O'Brien on the wing instead of centre.
Conor O'Brien at 12 instead of 13.
Ronan Kelleher ahead of Sean McNulty as bench hooker.
Josh Murphy playing lock.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

mildlyinterested wrote:Notable information from A team announcement:

Ciaran Frawley at 15 ahead of Jack Kelly who is on the wing.
Tommy O'Brien on the wing instead of centre.
Conor O'Brien at 12 instead of 13.
Ronan Kelleher ahead of Sean McNulty as bench hooker.
Josh Murphy playing lock.
No Conor Dean as back up outhalf. Frawley could cover 10 if Marsh got injured.
This game will have an impact on a number of important AIL games this weekend. Clontarf are losing Cormac Daly, Abdaladze & O'Brien while Jack Kelly will be a big loss for Trinity. UCD will be up against it at Lansdowne Rd missing a few first choice players.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:Team to play Bristol tomorrow

15 Ciaran Frawley, 14 Jack Kelly, 13 Gavin Mullin, 12 Conor O'Brien, 11 Tommy O'Brien, 10 Cathal Marsh, 9 Charlie Rock; 1 Peter Dooley, 2 Bryan Byrne, 3 Vakh Abdaladze, 4 Josh Murphy, 5 Ian Nagle, 6 Peadar Timmins, 7 Will Connors, 8 Max Deegan

16 Ronan Kelleher, 17 Ed Byrne, 18 Cormac Daly, 19 Caelan Doris, 20 Hugh O'Sullivan, 21 Ian Fitzpatrick, 22 Hugo Keenan
Jesus, how long can we keep Peter Dooley if he's playing in the B&I Cup in December? He has played less than 100 minutes of first team rugby in the first third of the season [start of Sep/end of Nov] and hasn't had a start yet. Ed Byrne has had roughly three times the minutes that PD has had - 256 [EB] to 88 [PD].

If you ask me, he'd walk into the Ulster No1 jersey ... absolutely walk into it. Callum Black, Andy Warwick, Schalk van der Merwe and Kyle McCall? There's not a live contender amongst them by Leinster [or Munster] standards.

McNulty apparently hasn't convinced the academy staff at all, and I'm not surprised to see Kelleher overtake him. I don't think he'll be the last hooker Kelleher overtakes this season, he's a serious talent. Looking forward to seeing him for the U20s again this year.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

15.C.Frawley vs. 15.M.Protheroe
14.J.Kelly vs. 11.T.Varndell (c) (4 England caps)
13.G.Mullin vs. 13.A.Leiua (17 Samoa caps)
12.C.O'Brien vs. 12.S.Piutau (31 Tonga caps)
11.T.O'Brien vs. 14.D.Lemi (53 Samoa caps)
10.C.Marsh vs. 10.C.Sheedy
9.C.Rock vs. 9.A.Uren

1.P.Dooley vs. 3.S.Faletau (3 Tonga caps)
2.B.Byrne vs. 2.N.Fenton-Wells
3.V.Abdaladze vs. 1.R.Bevington (15 Wales caps)
4.Josh Murphy vs. 4.G.Nemsadze (76 Georgia caps)
5.I.Nagle vs. 5.J.Batley (Eng. u-20)
6.P.Timmins vs. 6.S.Graham
7.W.Connors vs. 7.O.Robinson
8.M.Deegan vs. 8.J.Lam (24 Samoa caps)

16.Kelleher vs. Gompels
17.E.Byrne vs. Cosgrove
18.Daly vs. Dawe
19.Doris vs. Joyce
20.O'Sullivan vs. Rhodri Williams (3 Wales caps)
21.Fitzpatrick vs. Searle
22.Keenan vs.Jack Tovey

Even without many of their frontliners, there's a lot of international caps for Bristol...a worrying number of burly Polynesian 30-somethings who'll no doubt look to bully our young guys. Tough assignment.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

14.J.Kelly vs. 11.T.Varndell (c) (4 England caps)
13.G.Mullin vs. 13.A.Leiua (17 Samoa caps)
12.C.O'Brien vs. 12.S.Piutau (31 Tonga caps)
11.T.O'Brien vs. 14.D.Lemi (53 Samoa caps)

1.P.Dooley vs. 3.S.Faletau (3 Tonga caps)
3.V.Abdaladze vs. 1.R.Bevington (15 Wales caps)
4.Josh Murphy vs. 4.G.Nemsadze (76 Georgia caps)
8.M.Deegan vs. 8.J.Lam (24 Samoa caps)
That's an incredible team for an A game but it's exactly the type of game our guys will relish. That a lot of our guys can test themselves against multi-capped internationals is why they're here.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Very interesting re Deane & a big help to Mary's this weekend in game v Buccs, you wouldn't want to be in conspiracy theories with Doris only on the bench and likely to be available as well in their biggest game of the season. Kelleher no suprise & was more dominant than McNulty in their head to head game between UCD & Lansdowne last week. Loughman rumours of going to Munster may be true as he is not in the shakeup & Munster have a TBC in their A team in the front row
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote:

Jesus, how long can we keep Peter Dooley if he's playing in the B&I Cup in December? He has played less than 100 minutes of first team rugby in the first third of the season [start of Sep/end of Nov] and hasn't had a start yet. Ed Byrne has had roughly three times the minutes that PD has had - 256 [EB] to 88 [PD].

If you ask me, he'd walk into the Ulster No1 jersey ... absolutely walk into it. Callum Black, Andy Warwick, Schalk van der Merwe and Kyle McCall? There's not a live contender amongst them by Leinster [or Munster] standards.

McNulty apparently hasn't convinced the academy staff at all, and I'm not surprised to see Kelleher overtake him. I don't think he'll be the last hooker Kelleher overtakes this season, he's a serious talent. Looking forward to seeing him for the U20s again this year.
I'm obviously a poor judge as I had Dooley as a possible for Japan 2019 and he now playing B&I games. I reckon that Connacht would be a natural fit for him although it's beginning to look like it's returning to a graveyard for careers. He's have a fellow Birr lad in Regan if he went to Ulster but a couple of season's of Top 14 or better still Super rugby could be the making of him as long as we could bring him back post Cian Healy. I really can't understand the lack of minutes this season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Armchair wrote:Very interesting re Deane & a big help to Mary's this weekend in game v Buccs, you wouldn't want to be in conspiracy theories with Doris only on the bench and likely to be available as well in their biggest game of the season. Kelleher no suprise & was more dominant than McNulty in their head to head game between UCD & Lansdowne last week. Loughman rumours of going to Munster may be true as he is not in the shakeup & Munster have a TBC in their A team in the front row
They arent rumours.. loughman was pictured training with munster this week
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

I'm obviously a poor judge as I had Dooley as a possible for Japan 2019 and he now playing B&I games. I reckon that Connacht would be a natural fit for him although it's beginning to look like it's returning to a graveyard for careers. He's have a fellow Birr lad in Regan if he went to Ulster but a couple of season's of Top 14 or better still Super rugby could be the making of him as long as we could bring him back post Cian Healy. I really can't understand the lack of minutes this season.
He hasnt looked as explosive or as skillful as Byrne.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote:
He hasnt looked as explosive or as skillful as Byrne.
He may not have the same pace over the first 10 metres but his handling skills are every bit as good and his scrumagging is superior. Peter Dooley is a proven quality loose-head at each level below full international. He is a very intelligent mauler, lifter, tackler (on both shoulders). He uses his feet well in possession and has the perception on how and when to offload. None of these points are offered in any attempt to denigrate Byrne but merely to ensure that nobody undermines the abilities of Peter Dooley.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Agree totally with the point Hugonaut made earlier on this thread. Dooley would be a deffo starter in Ulster. With Jack and Ciano in his way, he and Ireland might be better served if he joined one of the other provinces. I think he's a wonderful player and I'd like to see him fulfill his potential - preferably in blue, but if not then with our Northern, Western or Southern brethren.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

HT in Bristol and it sounds like defences are not on top.

Bristol 21 Leinster A 27 (three tries apiece)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Bristol 21 Leinster A 39 (5 tries) after 54 mins
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Final score is Bristol 35 Leinster A 46

5 points for us, 1 for them
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

That's a good result, seeing the quality of the Brizzle team. Well done the 'A's. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That is an absolutely superb performance against a very experienced team
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Wow, outstanding result. I see we were 46-21 up with two minutes to go and they got two consolation tries to make the scoreline look better. Extremely encouraging stuff against a Premiership-standard team loaded with experienced Polynesians.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

neiliog93 wrote:Wow, outstanding result. I see we were 46-21 up with two minutes to go and they got two consolation tries to make the scoreline look better. Extremely encouraging stuff against a Premiership-standard team loaded with experienced Polynesians.

Not sure how much of a difference it would have made but we played the last 10 minutes with 14 players after Charlie Rock was binned
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Wow! Amazing result. There must be some serious talent in that A team.