Glasgow v Leinster, Sat, 1pm, Sky.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Glasgow v Leinster, Sat, 1pm, Sky.

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

They didn't really show it on TV but he seemed to get in a scrap with someone after the ball was gone and the player tackled him. You could see the Glasgow player go for him as he got up but couldn't see what Johnny did to retaliate.

He also gave out when his kick to touch was "kept in" by Sarto. It looked to me like Sarto stepped on the line so can see why he was pissed off.

Nothing that deserved booing though from what I could see. He seems very up for fighting this year anyway!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote:He's allowed take as much time as the ref allows him to take.

I hope every team this season gets to boo Johnny because, generally, when you're booing your losing.

Except in Belfast, that just means you're awake. Or asleep and sleepbooing.
ISA would have been the main boo target next week.
He got a contract and Ruan did not you see.
But he wont be playing so maybe it'll be white boots/headphones Heaslip.
But he won't be playing either.
So its back to the Blue Baron, if he's playing of course.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I hope every team this season gets to boo Johnny because, generally, when you're booing your losing.

Without a doubt. Since that Heino match a couple of years ago, where Jared Payne got red carded for taking his Sarries opposite number 15 out in the air, our Northern brethren have developed a dreadful penchant for booing. They're at it nearly the whole time it seems, interspersed only by the occasional rendition of SUFTUM. Think they just like giving out.....
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

riocard911 wrote:

Without a doubt. Since that Heino match a couple of years ago, where Jared Payne got red carded for taking his Sarries opposite number 15 out in the air, our Northern brethren have developed a dreadful penchant for booing. They're at it nearly the whole time it seems, interspersed only by the occasional rendition of SUFTUM. Think they just like giving out.....
I asked them what they were booing about last time I was there, but they weren't sure, it was just contagious.
Dont Panic!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

kermischocolate wrote:
Dexter wrote:Reading the match reviews this morning reminded me of something: why was Sexton booed so much when he came off?
As has been mentioned he wasn't booed initially.
His constant whingeing, arm waving for pens at every ruck, perceived time-wasting etc caused it.
That's it?? He didn't try to take anyones head off? Steal any pens?
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:They didn't really show it on TV but he seemed to get in a scrap with someone after the ball was gone and the player tackled him. You could see the Glasgow player go for him as he got up but couldn't see what Johnny did to retaliate.

He also gave out when his kick to touch was "kept in" by Sarto. It looked to me like Sarto stepped on the line so can see why he was pissed off.

Nothing that deserved booing though from what I could see. He seems very up for fighting this year anyway!
As I understand it, it no longer matters where a players feet are? That's what had Sexton exercised
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:They didn't really show it on TV but he seemed to get in a scrap with someone after the ball was gone and the player tackled him. You could see the Glasgow player go for him as he got up but couldn't see what Johnny did to retaliate.

Was that the time Ashe or Wilson flattened as he was passing? Commentators saw it but wasn't caught on camera.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

paddyor wrote:

Was that the time Ashe or Wilson flattened as he was passing? Commentators saw it but wasn't caught on camera.
Yeah but the commentators seemed to miss the start of it. They said that Johnny was holding him (I think) but whatever they said they were implying that Johnny started it, he didn't. Ashe went for him as he got back up. Not sure if Johnny had an issue with the tackle (which seemed fine to me), but either way he didn't start any scrap that occurred.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:

As I understand it, it no longer matters where a players feet are? That's what had Sexton exercised
As in, you can be in play but if the ball goes out then it's a lineout? I have to admit I wasn't aware of that but it looked to me like Sarto stepped on the line anyway. If I'm understanding you correctly then that makes sense as to what Johnny was pointing at and then saying to the ref (isn't it great when commentators speak over conversations with the ref?) because it did look a bit different to just being annoyed that Sarto had stepped on the line.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Dave Cahill wrote:

I'm not sure it matters either way in this case. The ball had gone beyond the line and Sartos foot was on the line. In either interpretation the ball was in touch. It's a simple enough error to make though. You're talking millimetres in both cases IIRC.

The flapping the arms at the ruck was all about Glasgow players blatantly taking men beyond the ruck. It took a long while for Garces to ping it, but he eventually did. Almost every side does it, but few were as blatant about it as Glasgow. And almost every side has a player who will try and call a refs attention to it.

As for his perceived time wasting, he's always taken the max time available for his place kicks. There's nothing new there.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

molloyjh wrote:The flapping the arms at the ruck was all about Glasgow players blatantly taking men beyond the ruck. It took a long while for Garces to ping it, but he eventually did. Almost every side does it, but few were as blatant about it as Glasgow. And almost every side has a player who will try and call a refs attention to it.

As for his perceived time wasting, he's always taken the max time available for his place kicks. There's nothing new there.
Was watching with a Glasgow fan and he was telling me that is one of the deliberate Kiwi 'dark arts' Rennie has brought to their game. It seemed way too obvious on Saturday though. That disallowed try they had was so obviously preceded by a two tackler take-out and (probably) unnecessary.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKahI1eMmg

This must be what they use to break spies.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

I thought you only had a minute? Or did that change?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efKahI1eMmg

This must be what they use to break spies.
Jesus, Almighty. She's not too good on the ol' intonation. Irish names - like mine - and Dublinese are major hurdles too!!!!!!!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:
molloyjh wrote:The flapping the arms at the ruck was all about Glasgow players blatantly taking men beyond the ruck. It took a long while for Garces to ping it, but he eventually did. Almost every side does it, but few were as blatant about it as Glasgow. And almost every side has a player who will try and call a refs attention to it.

Was watching with a Glasgow fan and he was telling me that is one of the deliberate Kiwi 'dark arts' Rennie has brought to their game. It seemed way too obvious on Saturday though. That disallowed try they had was so obviously preceded by a two tackler take-out and (probably) unnecessary.
Yep. How many times did we see Glasgow players join the ruck from the side, making no attempt to hide it, and then try to obstruct pillars as well. I get that these things are part of the modern game, hell Ireland do that stuff a bit. But at least try to make it subtle.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

molloyjh wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Yep. How many times did we see Glasgow players join the ruck from the side, making no attempt to hide it, and then try to obstruct pillars as well. I get that these things are part of the modern game, hell Ireland do that stuff a bit. But at least try to make it subtle.
Why is side entry and diving off feet over the top of rucks so rarely penalised now anyway? Focusing on other things instead?
Dont Panic!