Glasgow v Leinster, Sat, 1pm, Sky.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Glasgow v Leinster, Sat, 1pm, Sky.

Post by wixfjord »

Their back three and back row is very dangerous.

Should be a cracking game this.
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

Very harsh on Jordi, honestly thought he was pushing for a starting place.

Is Daly our first choice winger now? What a few weeks it's been for Barry Daly.

Happy to see Healy from the start, he looks fitter then ever.

Feel bad for Adam Byrne, but he just hasn't been good enough the past few weeks, he'll be better for it.

DK can count himself lucky getting into the 23.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

alanair wrote: Not unhappy about Garces.... excellent Scrum referee ... and never gets swayed by crowd
It could well be my keyboard warrior bias, I'm just not a fan.

I was under the impression he is quite a poor scrum ref. I just can't get the image out of my head of Fagerson taking the piss and Healy getting all the calls against him.

It's pretty unfounded. But I just can't shake it ha
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:It's pretty unfounded. But I just can't shake it ha
Typical Blackrock, discriminating against others for no good reason.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

harblstuff wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:It's pretty unfounded. But I just can't shake it ha
Typical Blackrock, discriminating against others for no good reason.
Ehh sorry do I know you? :roll:
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

James Ryan, well well -
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
alanair wrote: Not unhappy about Garces.... excellent Scrum referee ... and never gets swayed by crowd

I was under the impression he is quite a poor scrum ref. I just can't get the image out of my head of Fagerson taking the piss and Healy getting all the calls against him.

Garces is the best ref in the world in my opinion. Consistently high quality and consistently consistent.

You also again repeated the jibe at Cronin's throwing above. Somewhere earlier in this thread somebody pointed out that Cronin was more consistent with his throwing on Saturday than Tracy...but I guess you are ignoring that, for whatever reason.
In reality, our lineout seems to have malfunctioned regardless of which hooker was starting, so other factors are needed when comparing our hookers. Cronin wins most of them for me. Not sure who the strongest scrummager is, maybe Strauss or Byrne?

The only confusing one for me is DK on the bench. Hasn't really shown any form, not an impact sub and doesn't really cover many positions.
Last edited by curates_egg on October 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

curates_egg wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Garces is the best ref in the world in my opinion. Consistently high quality and consistently consistent.

You also again repeated your jibe at Cronin's throwing above. Somewhere earlier in this thread somebody pointed out to you that Cronin was more consistent with his throwing on Saturday than Tracy...but I guess you are continuing to ignore that, for whatever reason.
In reality, our lineout seems to have malfunctioned regardless of which hooker was starting, so other factors are needed when comparing our hookers. Cronin wins most of them for me. Not sure who the strongest scrummager is, maybe Strauss or Byrne?

The only confusing one for me is DK on the bench. Hasn't really shown any form, not an impact sub and doesn't really cover many positions.
Think DK is the only fit senior back remaining who covers FB (other than Henshaw maybe)
exwinger
Beginner

Post by exwinger »

Maybe its just me but with the weather forecast of rain for the match tomorrow, I think that the starting side is more dynamic and will run the legs off the forwards, also there will probably be more scrums due to the wet ball. This will mean with the replacements we will shove the Glasgow pack and get penalties or tries. Leinster for a narrow win.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

That bench looks like it will strangle the shite out of Glasgow in the last 30.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Their back row is very good, including Harley as the bench option. Their backline also looks very dangerous, including Lee Jones off the bench, although I'm unfamiliar with the 13 (Sam Johnson).

It seems strange to me that they're starting a hooker who they got in on an emergency injury-cover loan from London Scottish ahead of Pat MacCarthur. Also, Bhatti at loosehead was playing amateur rugby until last year and starts ahead of Scotland international Allan. Even with Fagerson at tighthead, they might be vulnerable in the scrum. Their half-backs are good but ours are better.

Rain or not, should be a great game. I love these artificial pitches. Glasgow were the better team against Exeter last week and got nothing from the game, have home advantage and need to win to stay in the competition, so motivation will not be a problem. Too tight to call...
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

curates_egg wrote:

You also again repeated your jibe at Cronin's throwing above. Somewhere earlier in this thread somebody pointed out to you that Cronin was more consistent with his throwing on Saturday than Tracy...but I guess you are continuing to ignore that, for whatever reason.

Sorry I can't quite hear you from all the way up there on the high horse...

This wasn't an unreasonable comment. Cronin may well have been more accurate than Tracy, does that mean his throwing isn't shaky at times? You're insane if you think not.

The lineout is one of the more important attacking platforms, as a result it is important the hooker has a good day thowing. If Tracy was playing I'd hope his throwing was good too

So don't patronise me because you end up looking foolish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:That bench looks like it will strangle the shite out of Glasgow in the last 30.
Does it vibrate or something?
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Leinsterlunatic wrote:Very harsh on Jordi, honestly thought he was pushing for a starting place.

Feel bad for Adam Byrne, but he just hasn't been good enough the past few weeks, he'll be better for it.

Completely disagree on Byrne not being good enough... especially when we are talking about McFadden being chosen ahead of him, he's been brilliant in attack and under the high ball.

Also if this guy is being questioned because of his defence against one of the fiercest wingers in the NH (Not saying you are but I see people on other forums) than what chance does any young winger have here?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Adam has enormous potential, his ceiling is very high. But he's been defensively iffy his whole career, and the Montpellier game confirms it. Even ignoring Nadolo (and I don't blame Adam for missing a few tackles there), there were missed tackles on other players and poor defensive reads throughout the game. Although ironically, his yellow card might have saved us the match. The idea of a dangerous, Rennie-coached Glasgow with Stuart Hogg back in tow attacking down Adam's wing on their fast artificial pitch gives me nightmares. He deserved to be dropped here but long-term is our first-choice winger.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd say it's a leadership thing as well. Joey and Daly the other two in the back three, and Noel isn't exactly a big presence either. I'm not sure Ferg is as solid now as the coaches seem to think, but I can certainly see the logic in playing him.

Off the top of my head I can't actually remember how Ferg did against Clermont when the same call was made, but I'd rather us try this now than persist with Adam making errors and then decide to make the change during the knockouts. Hopefully Ferg goes well, I'd imagine he's seriously fired up anyway. It looks like Stockdale will start next week so I'd like to see Adam up against him having worked on some of his issues in the two weeks of training.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Keith wrote:
Leinsterlunatic wrote:Very harsh on Jordi, honestly thought he was pushing for a starting place.

Completely disagree on Byrne not being good enough... especially when we are talking about McFadden being chosen ahead of him, he's been brilliant in attack and under the high ball.

Also if this guy is being questioned because of his defence against one of the fiercest wingers in the NH (Not saying you are but I see people on other forums) than what chance does any young winger have here?
"one of the fiercest wingers in the NH". To whom are you referring? Nadolo, Earls or Steff Evans?
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd say it's a leadership thing as well. Joey and Daly the other two in the back three, and Noel isn't exactly a big presence either. I'm not sure Ferg is as solid now as the coaches seem to think, but I can certainly see the logic in playing him.

Off the top of my head I can't actually remember how Ferg did against Clermont when the same call was made, but I'd rather us try this now than persist with Adam making errors and then decide to make the change during the knockouts. Hopefully Ferg goes well, I'd imagine he's seriously fired up anyway. It looks like Stockdale will start next week so I'd like to see Adam up against him having worked on some of his issues in the two weeks of training.
Ferg is a huge concern, especially given his lack of game time. But the weather is not supposed to be looking too great, so it may not even matter.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Sorry I can't quite hear you from all the way up there on the high horse...

This wasn't an unreasonable comment. Cronin may well have been more accurate than Tracy, does that mean his throwing isn't shaky at times? You're insane if you think not.

The lineout is one of the more important attacking platforms, as a result it is important the hooker has a good day thowing. If Tracy was playing I'd hope his throwing was good too

So don't patronise me because you end up looking foolish
I'm not - trying to - patronise you. I've just seen no evidence that Tracy is a better thrower than Cronin - who is also by no means good. Earlier in this thread somebody pointed to evidence to the contrary last weekend.
I was simply trying to pull you up on presenting 'Tracy is a better thrower than Cronin' as a fact with no evidence for the assertion.
Our lineout has been pretty cr@p with every hooker over the past two seasons, which would imply it doesn't really matter which hooker is throwing.
If they are both shite throwers, I personally think Cronin offers more.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

So it's another early Saturday kick-off for the third week running as Leinster travel to Glasgow to take on the Warriors.

In terms of results last week, it was almost perfect for Leinster. They gained a maximum five point haul from their match while in the other pool match there was no bonus points for either side as Exeter beat Glasgow at home. Only the losing bonus point Montpellier earned will rankle with them especially as they really should have closed the game out after they scored the fourth try which gave them their own bonus point. Admittedly a five-point haul was the last thing anyone expected especially when the team was named without Johnny Sexton and that was before they lost Scott Fardy before kick-off and skipper Isa Nacewa went off injured before half-time.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.