Glasgow v Leinster, Sat, 1pm, Sky.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Glasgow v Leinster, Sat, 1pm, Sky.

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

artaneboy wrote:
Truly the level of cultish denial on Luke McGrath's flaws and the claims of his entitlement to be first choice scrum half, is at Trumpian levels here.

I tried to bite my tongue but this is genuinely deluded. I'm one of Luke's biggest fans and constantly defend him because I think he gets a rough time of it because I have a genuine belief that when he makes a mistake it multiplies in people's heads by two or three times that number due to the impression that people built up of him. Plus I think people criticise him for things that they then ignore with JGP, case in point being you not seeing JGP's poor kicks on Saturday.

On Saturday I said he was poor...and most other people have detailed his errors...so the "cultish denial on Luke's flaws" is honestly one of the most baffling comments I've seen on this site. It's as if your brain tippexes out the comments you don't want to see. What's also very very strange is that you've been windmilling about this for a couple of days now. You're not offering any decent analysis of his performance, you're just gloating about your opinion on Luke being correct due largely to a massive emphasis being placed on this performance because it suits you. I don't really remember many comments from you last week when he was excellent against Munster.

To be crowing about the poor performance of one of our players to such an extent is a bit pathetic really.
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

I would 100% drop Byrne this weekend, his defence on Saturday was really poor - he won't get away with that against Seymour.

Bring McFadden in and have DK on the bench as cover.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

artaneboy wrote:It seems to me that Luke's "geese are always swans", while JGP is judged by more rigorous standards.
Its always been the same on here for homegrown players.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The Coaching Team will select the team they think will do the best job against Glasgow and last Saturday's performance (good or mediocre) will have a limited impact on those selections. The two elements which struck me about Glasgow's performance against Exeter were their confidence and the pace of their play. Their scrum was strong - weaker when they lost their hooker - and their line-out, as always, was very competent.

Next Sunday will definitely be a contest in coaching, lines of running in attack and the breakdown contest with typical Scottish cheating to the fore (chapeau for that expertise). The biggest reminder is the Scottish performance last Season in the first 6 N game when we were ambushed very effectively. The biggest message all week is the pace at which the Scots start and that was also very characteristic of the Chiefs.

So, no doubt Leo, Girv and Bomber have been planning for this one for weeks past (what else would you do on a 11 hour plane trip?) and I look forward to our counter-strategy.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Logorrhea wrote:
artaneboy wrote:It seems to me that Luke's "geese are always swans", while JGP is judged by more rigorous standards.
The treatment of Isa Nasewa has been nothing short of a disgrace. Ditto Kane Douglas!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Round two. Glasgow will be gunning for this. Played well the other night but set piece and maul let them down, plus Exeter are a serious pack.

Given the plastic pitch and Glasgow's relative lack of prowess in the lineout, I'd like to see the following for this:

McGrath, Cronin, Furlong, Fardy, Toner, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Daly, Reid, Henshaw, Byrne, Carbery
Healy, Tracy, Bent, Ryan, SOB, JGP, Byrne, ROL

Would have Reid in from the beginning.

Getting Johnny back would be a big boost. Murphy unlucky to miss out as he's in good form. Would start Cronin too as he might go better on the hard ground, but would have no issue with Tracy starting.
Likewise would have no issue with Healy in to start.

Usual worries about Byrne defensively, but we'll have to make do and his aerial prowess may help against Seymour, who's very good in the air.

I'd have pretty good hopes of us grabbing a win if we can up the performance another few notches.
Would have to keep Treacy as lineout has been our Achilles Heel for the past season and I wouldn't change something that works.
Don't know what game you were watching the last day but Tracy fired one overthrow and under three a couple more that were picked off...Cronin pinged everyone when he came on...just pointing that out
Correct me if I'm wrong
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

I don't think Luke McGrath gets an easy ride at all. The obsession with his passing, I think he has been put under more scrutiny (and unfair criticism) than most.

Having said that, he did make some bad mistakes, such as the tap at the weekend, but he's what, 24? He's still maturing, learning and gaining experience. I think long term he is a great player to have and a true leader on the field.

I have to laugh at the criticism of his box kicking to Nadolo. Do you think Luke took all of that decision on his own? Especially after a week where Earls was peppered with high balls for Byrne to chase? That came from the glass box in the rickety stand, that wasn't Lukes call.

Having said all that, and not to contradict myself, but that game was one where his passing did deserve some criticism, he threw some howlers.

My issue with JGP is not that he's not good, it's that he's not good enough for a NIQ. He doesn't deliver at a level much higher than what we get from Luke or Nick McCarthy, and I always feel that is an absolute waste of a NIQ spot if it's used on a mediocre squad player. NIQs should be used for international quality players or top class prospects we aren't producing ourselves. Especially with the 3 year rule becoming a 5 year rule soon, I don't think we should keep him around to be nice and I do think scrum half is a position a NIQ should be used for, but we should take another shot at a prospect, someone else, or reinvest that extremely valuable NIQ spot somewhere else in the squad.
Last edited by COYBIB on October 16th, 2017, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Truly the level of cultish denial on Luke McGrath's flaws and the claims of his entitlement to be first choice scrum half, is at Trumpian levels here.

I tried to bite my tongue but this is genuinely deluded. I'm one of Luke's biggest fans and constantly defend him because I think he gets a rough time of it because I have a genuine belief that when he makes a mistake it multiplies in people's heads by two or three times that number due to the impression that people built up of him. Plus I think people criticise him for things that they then ignore with JGP, case in point being you not seeing JGP's poor kicks on Saturday.

On Saturday I said he was poor...and most other people have detailed his errors...so the "cultish denial on Luke's flaws" is honestly one of the most baffling comments I've seen on this site. It's as if your brain tippexes out the comments you don't want to see. What's also very very strange is that you've been windmilling about this for a couple of days now. You're not offering any decent analysis of his performance, you're just gloating about your opinion on Luke being correct due largely to a massive emphasis being placed on this performance because it suits you. I don't really remember many comments from you last week when he was excellent against Munster.

To be crowing about the poor performance of one of our players to such an extent is a bit pathetic really.
Oh dear- what drivel. I was going to stop posting on this theme for now, but you dragged me back in... I won't bother addressing your paranoia or your peevish tone. You're condemned by your own sanctimoniousness on most of that.

But just a few brief points; Luke does not by any analysis get a hard time here for his consistent mistakes. Rather than being highlighted, Luke gets far too much of a free pass on his errors- and its not helping anyone- not him and not the team.

On analysis? There's no great analysis needed here other than Luke kicked and passed poorly throughout his time on the pitch. Not every kick was too long/ inaccurate and and not every pass was slow, high/ low, short/ behind, but a lot of both actions were. I'm not sure what you require there from a mere poster- technical tips to Luke on passing and kicking?

Just as I would never gloat at a player poor performance (that's really insulting- as of course you intended), I also see no great reason to heap praise on Luke for- as an example you raise, playing competently against Munster. He was far from being our best player- and nowhere near our worst on the day. His performance doesn't obsess me, like he may others. I also failed to mention several players who to my reading played better than him too- do we have to do a roll call now?!

You are obviously in the vanguard of his supporters and any criticism is sure to have you seeking to play the man not the ball in response. For the record, I do like McGrath's attitude, I hope he improves to be the top class player your imagine he already is, but I won't be blinded by faux analysis or cowed by vitriol into ignoring his still present flaws.

By the (very bleeden' obvious) way- I am not promoting JGP, McCarthy or anyone else as the SH savior we need- it just happens that the Kiwi is the player in the club in competition for the place with Luke. On your claim on my ignoring posts that don't suit; well- that's really 'Praise from Caesar'! Inconveniently for your argument, Jamie managed to kick quite effectively in his limited time on the pitch on Saturday- I've also gone through that previously- and JGP was certainly better than Luke on the day. Of the three kicks that were significant, there was one beauty gathered by Daly over his head (I'm sure you remember that one?), one successful distance finder from well within the 22, and one clear error which was run back by their try scorer. Not enough data to make any sort of real case, but indications that he's on the right track.

I was irked that its an assumption by many that Luke is the first choice for the Glasgow game- hence the original post. But if I have a real regret on our SH selection policy, it isn't that McGrath is ahead in the pecking order of JGP, it's that neither of them are currently good enough for a club of our ambitions. I look wistfully at John Cooney on Friday night and I see a Leinster alumni who is playing better than our two incumbents and effectively filing the void left by a world-class player in Ruan Pienaar. I sincerely want one of our SHs to reach the standard we need to win a forth Champions Cup. None of them are there yet- but imitating two of the three monkeys with hands over our eyes and ears won't help that to happen.

And this time- this really is my last comment on SH selection until after Saturday when I hope whoever is selected- and I expect it may be Luke, he plays so well, and is replaced after 60 minutes by an equally effective JPG, that we have a VdF/ Leavy embarrassment of riches. Good luck...
Last edited by artaneboy on October 16th, 2017, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

No issue with the tactic of kicking to Nadolo in theory.
The actual execution of it from L McGrath was the issue.
Plus he got blocked down and put one out on the full.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

artaneboy wrote:
Oh dear- what drivel. I was going to stop posting on this theme for now, but you dragged me back in... I won't bother addressing your paranoia or your peevish tone. You're condemned by your own sanctimoniousness on most of that.

But just a few brief points; Luke does not by any analysis get a hard time here for his consistent mistakes. Rather than being highlighted, Luke gets far too much of a free pass on his errors- and its not helping anyone- not him and not the team. Except of course that I criticised him in detail on Saturday, and several others have too both in the match thread and this one. And it's become a bit of joke with wixfjord that I defend him all the time (going back a long time)...which I do when he's criticised...meaning...HE GETS CRITICISED
On analysis? There's no great analysis needed here other than Luke kicked and passed poorly throughout his time on the pitch. Not every kick was too long/ inaccurate and and not every pass was slow, high/ low, short/ behind, but a lot of both actions were. I'm not sure what you require there from a mere poster- technical tips to Luke on passing and kicking? I don't require anything, the point is that it backs up my assertion that you're gloating about your opinion of him as opposed to "playing the ball" as you refer to below.

Just as I would never gloat at a player poor performance (that's really insulting- as of course you intended), I also see no great reason to heap praise on Luke for- as an example you raise, playing competently against Munster. He was far from being our best player- and nowhere near our worst on the day. His performance doesn't obsess me, like he may others. I also failed to mention several players who to my reading played better than him too- do we have to do a roll call now?!Doesn't obsess you...and yet you have constantly posted about him since his poor performance at the weekend. I've said before that I think the criticism can be unfair, not because he doesn't deserve criticism, but because it's exaggerated and not balanced, which is backed up by your lack of praise for him last week and constant sticking the boot in this week.

You are obviously in the vanguard of his supporters and any criticism is sure to have you seeking to play the man not the ball in response. For the record, I do like McGrath's attitude, I hope he improves to be the top class player your imagine he already is, but I won't be blinded by faux analysis or cowed by vitriol into ignoring his still present flaws. Again...I was very critical of him on Saturday. Not sure why you're struggling to comprehend that one but it means that your argument there is complete nonsense...Trumpian levels here. Again, the part of your post that I quoted said that there's a "cultish denial on Luke McGrath's flaws" yet you ignore that people have mentioned those flaws a lot...and then attacked the posters...something you now claim to be distasteful because I responded in kind.

By the (very bleeden' obvious) way- I am not promoting JGP, McCarthy or anyone else as the SH savior we need- it just happens that the Kiwi is the player in the club in competition for the place with Luke. On your claim on my ignoring posts that don't suit; well- that's really 'Praise from Caesar'! Inconveniently for your argument, Jamie managed to kick quite effectively in his limited time on the pitch on Saturday- I've also gone through that previously- and JGP was certainly better than Luke on the day. Of the three kicks that were significant, there was one beauty gathered by Daly over his head (I'm sure you remember that one?), one successful distance finder from well within the 22, and one clear error which was run back by their try scorer. Not enough data to make any sort of real case, but indications that he's on the right track. Inconveniently for your argument..if memory serves correctly, you weren't aware of JGP' poor kick until someone else pointed out that it existed.

I was irked that its an assumption by many that Luke is the first choice for the Glasgow game- hence the original post. But if I have a real regret on our SH selection policy, it isn't that McGrath is ahead in the pecking order of JGP, it's that neither of them are currently good enough for a club of our ambitions. I look wistfully at John Cooney on Friday night and I see a Leinster alumni who is playing better than our two incumbents and effectively filing the void left by a world-class player in Ruan Pienaar. I sincerely want one of our SHs to reach the standard we need to win a forth Champions Cup. None of them are there yet- but imitating two of the three monkeys with hands over our eyes and ears won't help that to happen.

And this time- this really is my last comment on SH selection until after Saturday when I hope whoever is selected- and I expect it may be Luke, he plays so well, and is replaced after 60 minutes by an equally effective JPG, that we have a VdF/ Leavy embarrassment of riches. Good luck...
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

But just a few brief points; Luke does not by any analysis get a hard time here for his consistent mistakes. Rather than being highlighted, Luke gets far too much of a free pass on his errors- and its not helping anyone- not him and not the team. Except of course that I criticised him in detail on Saturday, and several others have too both in the match thread and this one. And it's become a bit of joke with wixfjord that I defend him all the time (going back a long time)...which I do when he's criticised...meaning...HE GETS CRITICISED
On analysis? There's no great analysis needed here other than Luke kicked and passed poorly throughout his time on the pitch. Not every kick was too long/ inaccurate and and not every pass was slow, high/ low, short/ behind, but a lot of both actions were. I'm not sure what you require there from a mere poster- technical tips to Luke on passing and kicking? I don't require anything, the point is that it backs up my assertion that you're gloating about your opinion of him as opposed to "playing the ball" as you refer to below.

Just as I would never gloat at a player poor performance (that's really insulting- as of course you intended), I also see no great reason to heap praise on Luke for- as an example you raise, playing competently against Munster. He was far from being our best player- and nowhere near our worst on the day. His performance doesn't obsess me, like he may others. I also failed to mention several players who to my reading played better than him too- do we have to do a roll call now?!Doesn't obsess you...and yet you have constantly posted about him since his poor performance at the weekend. I've said before that I think the criticism can be unfair, not because he doesn't deserve criticism, but because it's exaggerated and not balanced, which is backed up by your lack of praise for him last week and constant sticking the boot in this week.

You are obviously in the vanguard of his supporters and any criticism is sure to have you seeking to play the man not the ball in response. For the record, I do like McGrath's attitude, I hope he improves to be the top class player your imagine he already is, but I won't be blinded by faux analysis or cowed by vitriol into ignoring his still present flaws. Again...I was very critical of him on Saturday. Not sure why you're struggling to comprehend that one but it means that your argument there is complete nonsense...Trumpian levels here. Again, the part of your post that I quoted said that there's a "cultish denial on Luke McGrath's flaws" yet you ignore that people have mentioned those flaws a lot...and then attacked the posters...something you now claim to be distasteful because I responded in kind.

By the (very bleeden' obvious) way- I am not promoting JGP, McCarthy or anyone else as the SH savior we need- it just happens that the Kiwi is the player in the club in competition for the place with Luke. On your claim on my ignoring posts that don't suit; well- that's really 'Praise from Caesar'! Inconveniently for your argument, Jamie managed to kick quite effectively in his limited time on the pitch on Saturday- I've also gone through that previously- and JGP was certainly better than Luke on the day. Of the three kicks that were significant, there was one beauty gathered by Daly over his head (I'm sure you remember that one?), one successful distance finder from well within the 22, and one clear error which was run back by their try scorer. Not enough data to make any sort of real case, but indications that he's on the right track. Inconveniently for your argument..if memory serves correctly, you weren't aware of JGP' poor kick until someone else pointed out that it existed.

Man- you really are sad on this! :lol: Suffice to state your 'memory doesn't serve you correct'- and you're so generally all over the place, there's almost nothing there that warrants any reply beyond that. I imagine we are boring people now- so let's keep it to PM, if there's any need for more on this. Keep carrying that torch though....
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:I won't be blinded by faux analysis or cowed by vitriol into ignoring his still present flaws.
That's a bit much. In fact it's a bit ridiculous.

Where's the faux analysis?

And who is 'ignoring his flaws'?!

Surely there's a balance here between two polarised arguments, and it's that he was poor on Sat but has played well in previous two games and is a more rounded 9 than JGP so should start on Sat.

That's it.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Boring people for a while...

We’re overly tough on scrum halves here. If Cooney were here now we’d see exactly the same stuff.

We have decent scrumhalves who are playing reasonably well in a system that asks a lot from them. With the amount that we needed to move around the big Montpellier players they had to take a few risks.

They stood up against two of the best scrumhalves in the world in the last 2 weeks.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

For Glasgow I'd start McGrath, acknowledging a number of elements of his performance on Saturday were disappointing. Overall we've two pretty good scrummies and for me if there was 1 scrummie in the country I'd want on my team when the opposition have the ball its McGrath every time. We're going into a game against a side that are going to make line breaks. We'll need a 9 who is able to read that stuff and give good cover behind the line. That's one area where Luke is way ahead of JGP.

It's also worth noting that Luke was our first choice 9 last season and we had no issues breaking try scoring records or topping try scoring stats. We played some really great stuff for large parts of last season with Luke there. He certainly wasn't the reason we fell away at the end of the season. And for most of this season he's been good too. He was disappointing in a number of aspects against Monty, but I'm happy to allow players a little bit of leeway. One disappointing performance does not a pattern make.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I always think it funny listening to Irish people talking about scrumhalves, its like germans discussing stand-up comedy - if we actually knew anything about it we might have produced more than two or three decent ones in the last 40 years!
I have Bumbleflex
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

riocard911 wrote:Since the Cheetahs match both against Munster and Montpellier JGP has played well. His box kicking has improved as has his defence - see his tackle on Stander. Neither he nor Luke are the total package yet. I'm happy with whichever of them the coaches has starting or finishing.
JGP only played 19 mins against Munster & 17 mins v Montpelier. Considering he has never played well from the start this is a ridiculous argument. Luke has faults but a lot of big strengths and is more suited to start.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

riocard911 wrote:Since the Cheetahs match both against Munster and Montpellier JGP has played well. His box kicking has improved as has his defence - see his tackle on Stander. Neither he nor Luke are the total package yet. I'm happy with whichever of them the coaches has starting or finishing.
JGP only played 19 mins against Munster & 17 mins v Montpelier. Considering he has never played well from the start this is a ridiculous argument. Luke has faults but a lot of big strengths and is more suited to start.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:
The treatment of Isa Nasewa has been nothing short of a disgrace. Ditto Kane Douglas!
No and Yes! Actually No and No, they both got what they earned.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:Boring people for a while...

We’re overly tough on scrum halves here. If Cooney were here now we’d see exactly the same stuff.

We have decent scrumhalves who are playing reasonably well in a system that asks a lot from them. With the amount that we needed to move around the big Montpellier players they had to take a few risks.

They stood up against two of the best scrumhalves in the world in the last 2 weeks.
Has everyone forgot the effect the wind had on Luke's passing too? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.