Ulster vs Leinster: Saturday 28th, 18.30 (BBC & Sky)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Ulster vs Leinster: Saturday 28th, 18.30 (BBC & Sky)

Post by CiaranIrl »

This will be a threadbare selection for an important league fixture. We'll presumably have to rest Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Secton, Henshaw, Carberry. We then have a 6 day turnaround before having to play a Glasgow team hell bent on revenge. Two away games against very good sides will be a big challenge. 5 points would set us up really well. 0-2 points will leave us with a big old hill to climb.

Team might be something like: McGrath, Tracey, Bent, Fardy, Ryan, Leavy Murphy, Deegan
JGP, Byrne, Adam Byrne, Reid, O'Loughlin, McFadden, Dave Kearney

Subs: B. Byrne, Dooley, Porter, Maloney, Timmins, McCarthy, Marsh, Larmour
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Ulster vs Leinster: Saturday 28th, 18.30 (BBC & Sky)

Post by cormac »

Not sure we'll be denuded of all current internationals for this one. Ireland don't have a game until Nov 11th. We might have some rotation but would imagine we'll be able to field a pretty decent team.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

When is Ringrose back?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Some of the internationals could do with gametime or time at a position. That suggests retaining Henshaw at 13 for at least 1 of the games. Other Lions maybe different.

Ruddock should be ok too because he is due a rest during the internationals (maybe 1 game).
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

ronk wrote:Ruddock should be ok too because he is due a rest during the internationals (maybe 1 game).
I imagine he'll be with the international squad. Cant see how Joe could leave him out. Hes been fantastic all year.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

POM, SOB, Stander and Henderson are 4 recent Lions who Joe could pick at 6. Murphy might be his guy.

POM has upped his game for internationals and Joe has backed him before. So South Africa is too soon for Ruddock, Fiji might happen anyway and it would take a big call to make changes for Argentina.

In terms of opportunities to develop, Ruddock is a smart player who can come into the system quickly, especially if he makes a few training camps. But there are other positions with pressing needs. 8, 13, 15 and sub halfbacks are areas for attention.

So basically, I don’t think the IRFU are gonna be restricting Ruddock’s gametime but he might make the squad and get a cap.

We might lose the Lions (& I think we keep Henshaw) and Toner, but otherwise I think we get our full compliment.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote:POM, SOB, Stander and Henderson are 4 recent Lions who Joe could pick at 6. Murphy might be his guy.

POM has upped his game for internationals and Joe has backed him before. So South Africa is too soon for Ruddock, Fiji might happen anyway and it would take a big call to make changes for Argentina.

In terms of opportunities to develop, Ruddock is a smart player who can come into the system quickly, especially if he makes a few training camps. But there are other positions with pressing needs. 8, 13, 15 and sub halfbacks are areas for attention.

So basically, I don’t think the IRFU are gonna be restricting Ruddock’s gametime but he might make the squad and get a cap.

We might lose the Lions (& I think we keep Henshaw) and Toner, but otherwise I think we get our full compliment.
Henderson will be played in the 2nd row. Stander will be at 8 esp with Heaslip out(though Conan has been in better form IMO). I can't remember the last time SOB started at 6 for Ireland. I'd defo have Ruddock in the mix for the extended squad. But I agree that I don't think his game time will be cut.

We could be rightly shagged when we go to Glasgow in 2 weeks though.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Ruddock captained the Irish tour to Japan so will surely be in for consideration. Also a good option if we're going for a big pack against South Africa.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

I can see us fielding a strong team for this one. The Lions were a week delayed getting their first cap due to the trip to SA and SOB, Sexton and Henshaw have all missed games in the mean time due to injury. We could be looking at:

McGrath Cronin Bent
Ryan Fardy
Leavy Conan SOB

JGP Sexton
Reid Henshaw
Kearney Kearney Byrne

Tracy, Healy, Furlong, Toner, Murphy, McGrath, Byrne, McFadden

Anyone know what the update is on ROL, if any?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

SOB should be a certainty.

He needs match fitness.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

molloyjh wrote:I can see us fielding a strong team for this one. The Lions were a week delayed getting their first cap due to the trip to SA and SOB, Sexton and Henshaw have all missed games in the mean time due to injury. We could be looking at:

McGrath Cronin Bent
Ryan Fardy
Leavy Conan SOB

JGP Sexton
Reid Henshaw
Kearney Kearney Byrne

I really enjoy watching Reid play. He has missed something like 10 tackles over the past two games though. If he starts, Ulster will be sending McCloskey down that channel all day...and McCloskey looks to be on good form.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:
molloyjh wrote:I can see us fielding a strong team for this one. The Lions were a week delayed getting their first cap due to the trip to SA and SOB, Sexton and Henshaw have all missed games in the mean time due to injury. We could be looking at:

McGrath Cronin Bent
Ryan Fardy
Leavy Conan SOB

JGP Sexton
Reid Henshaw
Kearney Kearney Byrne

I really enjoy watching Reid play. He has missed something like 10 tackles over the past two games though. If he starts, Ulster will be sending McCloskey down that channel all day...and McCloskey looks to be on good form.
Hence the question on ROL. We're not full of options there if ROL is still unavailable.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

A revised back row as Conan has had a lot of minutes so far:

McGrath Cronin Bent
Ryan Fardy
Leavy Murphy SOB

JGP Sexton
Reid Henshaw
Kearney Kearney Byrne

Tracy, Healy, Furlong, Toner, Deegan, McGrath, Byrne, McFadden
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think that we'll have to focus on the Ulster game and throw the Glasgow game under the bus - when you have a set of games like this you have to concentrate on your own conference.
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

curates_egg wrote:When is Ringrose back?
End of November: https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/102 ... -ringrose/
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

Are Daly & VDF out?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Just saw who's reffing this.

John Lacey.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinsterlunatic wrote:Are Daly & VDF out?
Not confirmed but looks like it.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

the spoofer wrote:Just saw who's reffing this.

John Lacey.
A special favourite of the Ulster fans I believe... not
Dont Panic!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:I think that we'll have to focus on the Ulster game and throw the Glasgow game under the bus - when you have a set of games like this you have to concentrate on your own conference.
Yep. Though Glasgow are likely to be down a few players as well with intl. callups.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles