Moderator: moderators

ChrisUppy
Graduate

Re: Ulster 2018-2019

Post by ChrisUppy »

artaneboy wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Why unlikely? He could be an injury away from selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Murray, Marmion, McGrath, Blade ahead of him and the possibility of Ireland bringing only two scrumhalfs could see him needing two or three injuries to get a look in. I saw an interview he did with Murray Kinsella recently also where he said Joe hadn't been in touch
C’mon- Blade is only ahead of him, as he’s IQ now. I like Blade, but Jamie is ahead of him on ability.

To my view he’s at or close to the level of both Marmion and McGrath. When he becomes IQ, availability will tell the tale. Nothing in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's in and around their level, sure, but exposure to Joe's system counts for a lot. Marmion in particular has been in Joe's squads since day one and has huge credit in the bank, his most recent cap was starting vs. the all blacks, there's nothing Jameson can do to get near him.

Additionally the fact that he doesn't qualify until June means he'll have no opportunity to catch up on that. I'm sure Joe has a decent idea of who he's bringing in that position and he had plans to fast track him in I am 100% sure he would have had some contact with him. Other soon-to-be eligible players have made it in to camp early whereas Jameson hasn't even been on the phone with Joe. I would certainly say it's unlikely.

Oh and I forgot Cooney
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Post by mildlyinterested »

3 of the top 4 locks for Ireland have came through the Leinster academy: Ryan, Toner, Beirne.

3 of the 5 locks for Ireland u20 are in Leinster academy setup: Ryan, Baird, Deeny.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

mildlyinterested wrote:3 of the top 4 locks for Ireland have came through the Leinster academy: Ryan, Toner, Beirne.

3 of the 5 locks for Ireland u20 are in Leinster academy setup: Ryan, Baird, Deeny.
Plus quite a few (Dunne, Prendergast, etc etc ) coming through at various levels. A far cry from when Leinster was running a "too tall" roadshow in Donnybrook, attempting to teach anyone over 6'6" how to play rugby.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

recent ireland u20 locks from leinster:

James Ryan(1996)
Oisin Dowling(1997)
Jack Regan(1997)
Jack Dunne(1998)
Cormac Daly(1998)
Charlie Ryan(1999)
Ryan Baird(1999)
Brian Deeny(2000)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jack Dunne on the bench against Scarlets tomorrow
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote:Jack Dunne on the bench against Scarlets tomorrow
Only turned 20 two months ago.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

mildlyinterested wrote:recent ireland u20 locks from leinster:

James Ryan(1996)
Oisin Dowling(1997)
Jack Regan(1997)
Jack Dunne(1998)
Cormac Daly(1998)
Charlie Ryan(1999)
Ryan Baird(1999)
Brian Deeny(2000)
Would Baird be the highest rated prospect of that group (ignoring Ryan obviously)?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

CiaranIrl wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:recent ireland u20 locks from leinster:

James Ryan(1996)
Oisin Dowling(1997)
Jack Regan(1997)
Jack Dunne(1998)
Cormac Daly(1998)
Charlie Ryan(1999)
Ryan Baird(1999)
Brian Deeny(2000)
Would Baird be the highest rated prospect of that group (ignoring Ryan obviously)?
Yeah that's how I would see it, then Dunne.

Dunne has a lot of potential if he puts it all together, wasn't expecting him to make his debut for Leinster so quickly.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Baird being tackled last week, with Dunne readying to hit the ruck.

Dunne has filled out a lot since the junior world cup, which is to be expected as he only turned 20 at the end of November.

Dunne got 600+ points in his leaving and is studying theoretical physics in Trinity, where he received a rugby scholarship and a academic scholarship from the Naughton Foundation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Dunne got 600+ points in his leaving and is studying theoretical physics in Trinity, where he received a rugby scholarship and a academic scholarship from the Naughton Foundation.

Brilliant stuff!
That's the type of info you just don't get on most forums :lol:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

Brilliant stuff!
to be fair it was all from an interview he gave during last years under-20 6 nations. :lol:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

wixfjord wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

Brilliant stuff!
:clap:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Dunne has a lot of potential if he puts it all together, wasn't expecting him to make his debut for Leinster so quickly.
Nor was I, but very happy to see it. It's a great selection from Leo, the sort of call that is becoming a bit of a hallmark for him. Nobody's calling for it, our back-up second rows are playing well, but he still wants to push a young player to prove himself ... and at the same time give him the opportunity he has been looking for.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Nor was I, but very happy to see it. It's a great selection from Leo, the sort of call that is becoming a bit of a hallmark for him. Nobody's calling for it, our back-up second rows are playing well, but he still wants to push a young player to prove himself ... and at the same time give him the opportunity he has been looking for.
And interesting that at the same time Nagle is starting in the back row for Ulster.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Second row minutes this season

Scott Fardy(10+3) = 842
James Ryan(11+0) = 777
Devin Toner(9+0) = 670
Ross Molony(6+8) = 543
Mick Kearney(3+7) = 334
Ian Nagle(1+0) = 71
Oisin Dowling(0+2) = 31
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

What is the plan for Nagle? If Scott Fardy is on the way out, hearing rumours RE: Kearney too, are we betting the house on Ian and the academy lads?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Peg Leg wrote:What is the plan for Nagle? If Scott Fardy is on the way out, hearing rumours RE: Kearney too, are we betting the house on Ian and the academy lads?
have to assume Nagle is gone.

havent heard any rumours re: Kearney, but he is getting older, so I could see it happening. And has two younger locks ahead of him.

Assume they'd have to back the academy locks, Dowling looks ready for Pro 14 level and there are three very talented locks below him in Dunne, Ryan and Baird.

If Kearney/Fardy are gone next season, we will be light on experience in the row, which isn't ideal for both in-game performance and off the field example setting etc.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:What is the plan for Nagle? If Scott Fardy is on the way out, hearing rumours RE: Kearney too, are we betting the house on Ian and the academy lads?

havent heard any rumours re: Kearney, but he is getting older, so I could see it happening. And has two younger locks ahead of him.

Assume they'd have to back the academy locks, Dowling looks ready for Pro 14 level and there are three very talented locks below him in Dunne, Ryan and Baird.

If Kearney/Fardy are gone next season, we will be light on experience in the row, which isn't ideal for both in-game performance and off the field example setting etc.
Well that would be any chance of three HECs in a row gone.
The second row isn't called the engine room for nothing.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschool wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

Well that would be any chance of three HECs in a row gone.
The second row isn't called the engine room for nothing.
leinster will be doing well to repeat this year, let alone next year after the WC.

also not in the IRFU's interest to have leinster miles ahead of the rest.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote: leinster will be doing well to repeat this year, let alone next year after the WC.

also not in the IRFU's interest to have leinster miles ahead of the rest.
Not disagreeing but that's presumably based on Ireland getting to a RWC S/F.
The IRFU would also, presumably, want Leinster to qualify for a home HEC QF for the money earned.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.