Leinster's 2nd Row options

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

What frustrates me about Nagle is that he actually started well. I didn't have any expectations of him but he was impressive early on, disappointing that he's regressed so much.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

seems like confirmation that Nagle/Kearney will be here next season, which isn't really a surprise.

Scott Fardy(34) - Signed 2 yr contract in 2017
Devin Toner(32) - Signed central 3yr contract in 2017
Ian Nagle(29) - Signed contract in 2017
Mick Kearney(27) - Signed contract in 2017
Ross Molony(24) - Signed contract in 2018
James Ryan(22) - Signed contract in 2017
Oisin Dowling(21) - Academy Yr 2
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Now the English clubs are finally and predictably going bankrupt, we could pick off some players. Launchbury anybody?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... mises.html
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

The article says that Wade, Daly and Launchbury's contracts are up and they're set to leave. Given we'll have a free outside back NIQ slot, I wouldn't mind Daly (or even Wade)...Ulster could do with Launchbury.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Aly Muldowney is coming to the end of his second season at Grenoble. IIRC he was impressive in his stint at Connacht - is he irish qualified?

Would be 35 next season but if he was feeling up for it I wouldn't say no to a one year stint. He's just the kind of 120+ Kg bruiser that's been missing when the front liners are away
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ChrisUppy wrote:Aly Muldowney is coming to the end of his second season at Grenoble. IIRC he was impressive in his stint at Connacht - is he irish qualified?

Would be 35 next season but if he was feeling up for it I wouldn't say no to a one year stint. He's just the kind of 120+ Kg bruiser that's been missing when the front liners are away
He is joining Bristol.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:Aly Muldowney is coming to the end of his second season at Grenoble. IIRC he was impressive in his stint at Connacht - is he irish qualified?

He is joining Bristol.
Until they go bankrupt.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Scott Fardy - 19 appearances, 17 at lock.
Ross Molony - 18 appearances, 2 A appearances.
Devin Toner - 16 appearances.
Mick Kearney - 13 appearances, plus 6 A appearances.
James Ryan - 12 appearances.
Ian Nagle - 7 appearances, plus 6 A appearances.
Oisin Dowling - 6 A appearances, 3 at lock.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:at this stage both are worth having a look at over nagle and kearney
I'd be interested in reviewing [John] Madigan, not so much in [Jerry] Sexton.

To be frank, Nagle has been a disappointment. I thought that there might be a bit of untapped ability there, but if there was, it hasn't manifested itself. Sounds harsh, but he's just unable to give us the parts of play that we would like from the player in his position with enough frequency – just the basic parts, not the Fardy extras. Contact wins at the breakdown, gainlines with carries, big hits at the tackle, lineout steals. He just doesn't do enough, often enough.

It's hard to be pessimistic though – we're massively loaded with talent at the U19-U20 age group in Cormac Daly [U20], Jack Dunne [U20], Ryan Baird [U19] and Charlie Ryan [U19]. It's a real glut of teenagers who are legitimately 198-201cm and 110kg+, and who can play.

If you look a little way down the line things will open up - determine Nagle's contract at the end of this season, and that opens up a spot. Give Mick Kearney another season [as a tighthead lock, he offers more of what we need than Nagle] and if he doesn't make good progress by the end of next season, determine that contract too - you get either an in-form Kearney or another opening. Give Fardy another one-year deal after his current contract ends at the conclusion of the 2018-19 season [bringing him up to June 2020, when he'll be about to turn 36] and then another spot opens up ...

After a pretty long dry spell – Dev [b. 1986] to Molony [b.1994] – we appear to have all of a sudden hit a motherlode of locks. It's going to be really interesting to see how it pans out.
I wonder what that foursome(Baird, Dunne, Ryan & Daly) means for Dowling..
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

It's not good news for Dowling, who honestly hasn't impressed me that much (bit on the small side too). Long-term he might get converted into a Fardy-style 6 who can also cover second row. There was some debate on here about this before, but I think he's probably athletic enough to do it.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

yeah he doesn't really have the size for lock, especially when you compare him those 4 lads.. he has been playing some 6 this season so maybe that's where they view him.

Baird is supposedly only U18 too and has been playing U19 this season for Leinster/Ireland to challenge him. :shock:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:yeah he doesn't really have the size for lock, especially when you compare him those 4 lads.. he has been playing some 6 this season so maybe that's where they view him.

Baird is supposedly only U18 too and has been playing U19 this season for Leinster/Ireland to challenge him. :shock:
I think Baird is U19 this season going from the rep teams he has played on. Big talent.

U18 Leinster Schools in Sep 2016: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/teams/repr ... ols-squad/
U18 Ireland Schools in Apr 2017: http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/39466.php#.WuIEiZPwaCc
U19 Ireland in March 2018: http://inpho.ie/app/WebObjects/Shop.woa ... rchhjasuR0
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:yeah he doesn't really have the size for lock, especially when you compare him those 4 lads.. he has been playing some 6 this season so maybe that's where they view him.

I think Baird is U19 this season going from the rep teams he has played on. Big talent.

U18 Leinster Schools in Sep 2016: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/teams/repr ... ols-squad/
U18 Ireland Schools in Apr 2017: http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/39466.php#.WuIEiZPwaCc
U19 Ireland in March 2018: http://inpho.ie/app/WebObjects/Shop.woa ... rchhjasuR0
yeah i know story i was told was that in 16/17 he was u17 playing a year young and then this season he played u19 instead of a 2nd year at u18 level.

if true its fairly remarkable.. i dunno if it is hence the supposedly in my earlier post.. but yeah either way he is a big talent
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:
yeah i know story i was told was that in 16/17 he was u17 playing a year young and then this season he played u19 instead of a 2nd year at u18 level.

if true its fairly remarkable.. i dunno if it is hence the supposedly in my earlier post.. but yeah either way he is a big talent
You're normally spot on with regards to age-grade rugby Mildly. If that's what you've heard, you're probably right.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

You're normally spot on with regards to age-grade rugby Mildly. If that's what you've heard, you're probably right.
thanks but im skeptical enough how true it is.. either way Baird is a big talent.. a very co-ordinated and explosive athlete for his size/age

below baird theres at least 4 more big second rows(198-201cm) coming through:

Cian Prendergast (Newbridge) u18
Max Mellett (Castleknock) u17
Aaron Deegan (Terenure) u17
Conor Carson (Gonzaga) u17
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I thought Prendergast looked a bit small in height to make it as a pro level second row (looked 6'4"ish to me)? Your underage knowledge is so good I have no reason to doubt you on the other guys, good to hear we've a few big fellas coming through!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote:I thought Prendergast looked a bit small in height to make it as a pro level second row (looked 6'4"ish to me)? Your underage knowledge is so good I have no reason to doubt you on the other guys, good to hear we've a few big fellas coming through!
ah he is certainly taller than that, saw a picture of him next to baird and there was very little difference.. but he would be the shortest of the four i listed..
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Gav Thornbury was very good against us at the weekend.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster professional 2nd rows next season:

Devin Toner(1987/Castleknock) - Leinster
Mark Flanagan(1989/Mullingar) - Saracens
Mick Kearney(1991/Clontarf) - Leinster
Tadgh Beirne(1992/Clongowes) - Munster
Alan O'Connor(1992/Skerries) - Ulster
Jerry Sexton(1993/St. Marys) - Jersey
Gavin Thornbury(1993/Blackrock) - Connacht