Leinster's 2nd Row options

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:What Leinster need is a Damien Browne. We'd probably find one in South Africa as there don't appear to be any available in Ireland.
My unsungest of heroes. He's back from his round-the-world rowing.

Do we really have to mimic Munster though? It would be much sweeter to nick Dave Foley from Pau.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

curates_egg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:What Leinster need is a Damien Browne. We'd probably find one in South Africa as there don't appear to be any available in Ireland.
My unsungest of heroes. He's back from his round-the-world rowing.

Do we really have to mimic Munster though? It would be much sweeter to nick Dave Foley from Pau.
Is he better than Kearney or Nagle? He got his solitary cap against Georgia and that was at the peak of any form I have seen him in.

I think he was subject the the Munster Hype Train and that added to his rep. I don't think his best is any better than the other 2 lads

EDIT: I realise he came on in the win against Australia also.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

He is certainly better than Nagle yes.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
curates_egg wrote:I think it is harsh to say that Kearney isn't "up to standard". He has seriously struggled with injuries since joining us. Seems to get his lights turned out in every second game, which might explain his handling.
He seemed to be up to standard with Connacht and occasionally in his first season with us. I don't see any suggestion that Molony has surpassed that standard.
Now, unfortunately, his body seems to be not up to the task.
Nagle has also been injured a lot in his career and doesn't look to have the mental strength.

Before we talk about boiling them up for glue though, I'd want to be sure that the alternative 5/6 choice locks we bring in are at least of the standard those two guys have shown they can hit.
I mean, we had Tom Denton starting in a European game a few seasons back if I am not mistaken. I would have his standard as behind Nagle and Kearney.
We don't need to go back through all the names of the flop second row signings we have made, but even Douglas (who on paper was a good signing) wasn't up to standard.
Denton never started a european match for Leinster.

What Leinster need is a Damien Browne. We'd probably find one in South Africa as there don't appear to be any available in Ireland.
As per Dropkick, we had one. Just needed a few more dinners.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Roux was poor for us more often than not.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

He appears to be somewhat underpowered. Definitely needs some more opportunities I think but how can he ever get the run of games that he needs to improve/prove himself. It is probably more likely that his career may just fizzle out eventually.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Jerry Sexton really isn't worth a look IMO, John Madigan might be.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Would Sean McCarthy (6'6'', 118kg) be worth a punt? He's supposed to be a useful player, right? Just bedevilled by injury. Sometimes the run of injuries dries up with a switch of club. It would be hilarious if we could pull a Tadhg Beirne on a Munster reject
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever wrote:Would Sean McCarthy (6'6'', 118kg) be worth a punt? He's supposed to be a useful player, right? Just bedevilled by injury. Sometimes the run of injuries dries up with a switch of club. It would be hilarious if we could pull a Tadhg Beirne on a Munster reject
he has been healthy for ages, just not very good.

and nowhere near as athletic as beirne
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

neiliog93 wrote:Jerry Sexton really isn't worth a look IMO, John Madigan might be.
Madigan has done well with Massy in terms of his gametime - 21 starts for 1569 mins [source: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player_32167.html ]. That was a big issue for him at Munster. He had lots of issues with injury and sickness.

To be honest though I've never seen Madigan play live, and I've never seen him play anything more than a single half of rugby on the box, so I've nothing to judge his ability on.

He had a quite a good reputation as a prospect coming through the Munster academy, but there's a lot of overestimating players' abilities down Munster way. That's not to say that the players aren't talented in their own right, but people get talked about as potential long-term internationals [and Lions!] when they haven't made any impact at league level.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

at this stage both are worth having a look at over nagle and kearney
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Anything to be said for giving Donncha O'Callaghan a one year?
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

I’d rather not have a 40 year old playing for us in the second row next season, but that’s just me.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

A16 wrote:I’d rather not have a 40 year old playing for us in the second row next season, but that’s just me.
I'd rather have a sarcasm font. But we can't all get what we want :)
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
A16 wrote:I’d rather not have a 40 year old playing for us in the second row next season, but that’s just me.
I'd rather have a sarcasm font. But we can't all get what we want :)
Well it went right past my head there, I could do with a sarcasm font at times myself to be honest! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Brad Thorn is 43 and I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

hugonaut wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Jerry Sexton really isn't worth a look IMO, John Madigan might be.
Madigan has done well with Massy in terms of his gametime - 21 starts for 1569 mins [source: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player_32167.html ]. That was a big issue for him at Munster. He had lots of issues with injury and sickness.

To be honest though I've never seen Madigan play live, and I've never seen him play anything more than a single half of rugby on the box, so I've nothing to judge his ability on.

He had a quite a good reputation as a prospect coming through the Munster academy, but there's a lot of overestimating players' abilities down Munster way. That's not to say that the players aren't talented in their own right, but people get talked about as potential long-term internationals [and Lions!] when they haven't made any impact at league level.
If we were going to pick up a 'workhorse' second-row we should look seriously at Mark Flanagan (6'7" and 117kg) who is a former Academy player and Dev's cousin.
Since leaving us in 2013 he has played two seasons with Stade Montois in the Pro D2, one season with Bedford in the Championship and was signed last May by Saracens where he is behind three top-class international players, including Itoje and Kruis. Mark McCall doesn't sign anybody out of sentiment and Flanagan has been a Squad member this season on 11 occasions, although he has rarely started. He also went to Munster on loan and Saracens asked for him back.

He has two of the necessary requirements, decent height and good hands. He scrums on both sides and he has had more than 70 games in the last 5 years. That's good experience and an indication that his coaches have considered he can 'do a job'. He's 28 and may be worth a shout.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:at this stage both are worth having a look at over nagle and kearney
I'd be interested in reviewing [John] Madigan, not so much in [Jerry] Sexton.

To be frank, Nagle has been a disappointment. I thought that there might be a bit of untapped ability there, but if there was, it hasn't manifested itself. Sounds harsh, but he's just unable to give us the parts of play that we would like from the player in his position with enough frequency – just the basic parts, not the Fardy extras. Contact wins at the breakdown, gainlines with carries, big hits at the tackle, lineout steals. He just doesn't do enough, often enough.

It's hard to be pessimistic though – we're massively loaded with talent at the U19-U20 age group in Cormac Daly [U20], Jack Dunne [U20], Ryan Baird [U19] and Charlie Ryan [U19]. It's a real glut of teenagers who are legitimately 198-201cm and 110kg+, and who can play.

If you look a little way down the line things will open up - determine Nagle's contract at the end of this season, and that opens up a spot. Give Mick Kearney another season [as a tighthead lock, he offers more of what we need than Nagle] and if he doesn't make good progress by the end of next season, determine that contract too - you get either an in-form Kearney or another opening. Give Fardy another one-year deal after his current contract ends at the conclusion of the 2018-19 season [bringing him up to June 2020, when he'll be about to turn 36] and then another spot opens up ...

After a pretty long dry spell – Dev [b. 1986] to Molony [b.1994] – we appear to have all of a sudden hit a motherlode of locks. It's going to be really interesting to see how it pans out.
bertlim
Beginner

Post by bertlim »

4 starts, 9 substitute appearances for Kearney this season.
4 starts, 3 substitute appearances for Nagle this season.

Not too hard to imagine Dunne/Daly/Dowling replacing one of them next season, presumably Nagle.
bertlim
Beginner

Post by bertlim »

4 starts, 3 sub appearances for Nagle this season. Not too hard to imagine Dunne/Daly/Dowling replacing him next season.