Leinster's 2nd Row options

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby mildlyinterested » January 29th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Oldschool wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:leinster will be doing well to repeat this year, let alone next year after the WC.

also not in the IRFU's interest to have leinster miles ahead of the rest.

Not disagreeing but that's presumably based on Ireland getting to a RWC S/F.
The IRFU would also, presumably, want Leinster to qualify for a home HEC QF for the money earned.


guess they figure we can do that without Fardy.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby ronk » January 29th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Should be an easy decision though as long as player, coach and financials all are good.

Leinster aren't expected to make any signings other than Kelleher. We'd probably expect to sign someone and we probably won't do better than Fardy.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9417
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby Oldschool » January 31st, 2019, 11:20 am

Ulster have signed a SR from Brumbies.
Is that a good sign for us being allowed to extend Fardy's contract?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11476
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby mildlyinterested » January 31st, 2019, 11:23 am

Oldschool wrote:Ulster have signed a SR from Brumbies.
Is that a good sign for us being allowed to extend Fardy's contract?


No I wouldnt think so.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby Laighin Break » January 31st, 2019, 11:57 am

Oldschool wrote:Ulster have signed a SR from Brumbies.
Is that a good sign for us being allowed to extend Fardy's contract?


I would think it's the opposite :(
User avatar
Laighin Break
Enlightened
 
Posts: 868
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby LeinsterLeader » January 31st, 2019, 12:05 pm

Oldschool wrote:Ulster have signed a SR from Brumbies.
Is that a good sign for us being allowed to extend Fardy's contract?

It think it has become clear now that WE are the development Provence.

We MUST develop :wink:
User avatar
LeinsterLeader
Mullet
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby mildlyinterested » January 31st, 2019, 12:16 pm

LeinsterLeader wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Ulster have signed a SR from Brumbies.
Is that a good sign for us being allowed to extend Fardy's contract?

It think it has become clear now that WE are the development Provence.

We MUST develop :wink:



Use it or lose it to another province.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby Jonny tight lips » January 31st, 2019, 12:18 pm

Jonny tight lips
Bookworm
 
Posts: 118
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby johng » January 31st, 2019, 12:21 pm

Not sure I follow your logic on how that affects Fardy?
User avatar
johng
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby LeinsterLeader » January 31st, 2019, 12:24 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Ulster have signed a SR from Brumbies.
Is that a good sign for us being allowed to extend Fardy's contract?

It think it has become clear now that WE are the development Provence.

We MUST develop :wink:



Use it or lose it to another province.

I've no real problem with that but I would be miffed if it's a case of Leinster not being able to bring in second rows (or other positions) because we have to be the one's to develop Irish second rows. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case but I wouldn't be happy if it becomes this way.
User avatar
LeinsterLeader
Mullet
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby johng » January 31st, 2019, 12:26 pm

Klein becomes IQ shortly. Surely that's the gap
User avatar
johng
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby mildlyinterested » January 31st, 2019, 12:49 pm

LeinsterLeader wrote:I've no real problem with that but I would be miffed if it's a case of Leinster not being able to bring in second rows (or other positions) because we have to be the one's to develop Irish second rows. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case but I wouldn't be happy if it becomes this way.


leinster have talented young locks coming through academy, IRFU want them developed, Fardy is blocking that.

Would be the logic I assume the IRFU are working under.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby Jonny tight lips » January 31st, 2019, 12:56 pm

johng wrote:Not sure I follow your logic on how that affects Fardy?


The IRFU willwant to limit the number of NIE players in any poisition so for one coming in up north will require one to leave somewhere else. Piener made way for JGP a couple of years back. Although with Kleyn becoming IQ this year I guess that gives us a sliver of hope.
Jonny tight lips
Bookworm
 
Posts: 118
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby LeinsterLeader » January 31st, 2019, 1:19 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:I've no real problem with that but I would be miffed if it's a case of Leinster not being able to bring in second rows (or other positions) because we have to be the one's to develop Irish second rows. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case but I wouldn't be happy if it becomes this way.


leinster have talented young locks coming through academy, IRFU want them developed, Fardy is blocking that.

Would be the logic I assume the IRFU are working under.

Yeah and I appreciate that from their perspective. The problem with that from a Leinster point of view is that if we are continuously developing players (particularly if they are shipped out to other places) it's going to be difficult to win anything long term. It's grand if they're all going to be James Ryan's (ie arrive ready to go) but most are going to be Ross Moloneys (ie going to need time to develop)
User avatar
LeinsterLeader
Mullet
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby mildlyinterested » January 31st, 2019, 1:28 pm

LeinsterLeader wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:I've no real problem with that but I would be miffed if it's a case of Leinster not being able to bring in second rows (or other positions) because we have to be the one's to develop Irish second rows. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case but I wouldn't be happy if it becomes this way.


leinster have talented young locks coming through academy, IRFU want them developed, Fardy is blocking that.

Would be the logic I assume the IRFU are working under.

Yeah and I appreciate that from their perspective. The problem with that from a Leinster point of view is that if we are continuously developing players (particularly if they are shipped out to other places) it's going to be difficult to win anything long term. It's grand if they're all going to be James Ryan's (ie arrive ready to go) but most are going to be Ross Moloneys (ie going to need time to develop)


they don't care if leinster win things, aslong as they are competitive and developing players.

In fact a too successful leinster is probably a problem for the IRFU.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby LeinsterLeader » January 31st, 2019, 1:45 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
leinster have talented young locks coming through academy, IRFU want them developed, Fardy is blocking that.

Would be the logic I assume the IRFU are working under.

Yeah and I appreciate that from their perspective. The problem with that from a Leinster point of view is that if we are continuously developing players (particularly if they are shipped out to other places) it's going to be difficult to win anything long term. It's grand if they're all going to be James Ryan's (ie arrive ready to go) but most are going to be Ross Moloneys (ie going to need time to develop)


they don't care if leinster win things, aslong as they are competitive and developing players.

In fact a too successful leinster is probably a problem for the IRFU.

well that's very depressing :(
User avatar
LeinsterLeader
Mullet
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby johng » January 31st, 2019, 1:47 pm

Problem for the pro 14 too. In fact a problem for everyone bar Leinster
User avatar
johng
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 17649
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby riocard911 » January 31st, 2019, 1:57 pm

johng wrote:Problem for the pro 14 too. In fact a problem for everyone bar Leinster



**** the begrudgers!!!!
riocard911
Mullet
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby Lar » January 31st, 2019, 2:11 pm

What the basic NIQ rules ignore is the value that a pro like Fardy can bring not just to the squad in terms of his playing ability but also his attitude to training and to playing. Fardy has been an unqualified success for us and has been a model pro. For players - not just young locks in his position - to see his application in training and in the 'less important' games is exemplary and invaluable.

Not all NIQ players bring that. We have one here at the moment and even if he leaves and we are allowed to bring in another NIQ in another position there is no guarantee the new player will show the same attitude as Fardy has.
Four Stars
User avatar
Lar
Mullet
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Leinster's 2nd Row options

Postby Oldschool » January 31st, 2019, 4:47 pm

johng wrote:Problem for the pro 14 too. In fact a problem for everyone bar Leinster

Yes and no.
As the Pro14 standard bearers and a European power house it gives the Pro14 a stronger hand when it comes to negotiations. A two in a row HEC would copper fasten that position.
The IRFU shouldn't lose sight of that fact.
Leinster have established themselves as aristocrats in NH rugby. That's hard currency.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11476
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SemrushBot [Bot] and 7 guests