Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Fireworks
Mullet

Re: Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by Fireworks »

My understanding is that the current JC possible moves are still Ulster and Munster with Munster being favored. I also believe that this is a one year deal which is unpopular with the other teams ad while not popular in Leinster is seen as a lesser evil as at least we get him back and IRFU will owe us one.
I would hate to see him go to either but would prefer it to be Ulster if it has to happen. It is my opinion that the backline in Ulster is more likely to suit him and let him develop as a player.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I think we have a 10 issue next season no matter what happens with JC. Our top 3 10's are now the top 3 for Ireland so may be rested for the start of the season and we may be missing them during the international windows. Big step up for the guys in the academy. Next season could be a tough one if they are not up to it and if they are then do we risk losing them to the greedy hands of Ulster and Munster.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Fireworks wrote:My understanding is that the current JC possible moves are still Ulster and Munster with Munster being favored. I also believe that this is a one year deal which is unpopular with the other teams ad while not popular in Leinster is seen as a lesser evil as at least we get him back and IRFU will owe us one.
I would hate to see him go to either but would prefer it to be Ulster if it has to happen. It is my opinion that the backline in Ulster is more likely to suit him and let him develop as a player.
+ 1. I've every confidence in Frawley as backup to J10 and RB and reckon we might even get to see Hawkshaw getting the odd run out in the Pro 14.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

hold your horses on hawkshaw.. might not even play 10 at pro level or irish u20

rumours he might not even be in full academy next season.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote:hold your horses on hawkshaw.. might not even play 10 at pro level or irish u20

Is that last bit dependent on Joey moving.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschool wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:hold your horses on hawkshaw.. might not even play 10 at pro level or irish u20

Is that last bit dependent on Joey moving.
dunno doubt it.
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

riocard911 wrote:
Fireworks wrote:My understanding is that the current JC possible moves are still Ulster and Munster with Munster being favored. I also believe that this is a one year deal which is unpopular with the other teams ad while not popular in Leinster is seen as a lesser evil as at least we get him back and IRFU will owe us one.
+ 1. I've every confidence in Frawley as backup to J10 and RB and reckon we might even get to see Hawkshaw getting the odd run out in the Pro 14.
Hawkshaw will not be turning out for Leinster next season, unless there’s some sort of injury crisis. The lad is 18, give him some time. Harry Byrne might get a few games as he’s a year further with his development. But it’s far too early for Hawkshaw.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I never go onto Munsterfans. I don't know why. It is hilarious. But I went on today to see the discussion on Carbery.

This is the best comment I've seen.
Munster should politely decline on the basis that signing Carbery would obstruct the development of a home grown player (or 2)
Munster don't develop anything. We're still waiting for a Munster developed player to become a regular in Irish match day squads. POM, in 2012, is the last. To think Carbery is blocking 2 is fantasy stuff. As a fan, you'd think they'd be used to seeing players developed elsewhere (SA, Leinster, Ulster) parachuted into their team at the expense of a local player (if one exists). Not sure what makes Carbey more unacceptable.

The 1 season thing seems to bug them too. Plenty of the foreigners who come over only stay a year.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Munster don't develop anything. We're still waiting for a Munster developed player to become a regular in Irish match day squads. POM, in 2012, is the last. To think Carbery is blocking 2 is fantasy stuff. As a fan, you'd think they'd be used to seeing players developed elsewhere (SA, Leinster, Ulster) parachuted into their team at the expense of a local player (if one exists). Not sure what makes Carbey more unacceptable

If carberry is only going to move for a year then one could argue that Munster and Ulster would be better off developing Johnston and mcphillips. Mcphillips with the gametime this season looks a real prospect now and no reason Johnston couldn't do something similar.
As a leinster fan my concern would be once carbery gets a taste of regular first team action and big games, he won't want to come back and play second fiddle to Sexton.
As an Ireland fan, if Joey is to be no2 fly half for the world cup then he needs to start at least 20 games there next season
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

He'll miss the start of the reason like all the internationals. So his first game will probably be v Leinster in Dublin. Then there's Europe and he might get another game in before He's unavailable cos of the November series. 2 European games in December, and one interpro over Christmas and then another camp. Carbery will likely play 7, maximum 8, games before the New Year.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by ronk »

Carbery had over 5 months of the season during which he made 1 sub appearance for Leinster.

Given the late start after touring, he had about a month at the start and 2 months at the end where he was available for us.

It didn’t take much of him at fullback for it to seem dominant.
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

suisse wrote: The 1 season thing seems to bug them too. Plenty of the foreigners who come over only stay a year.
It would bug us too and is a legitimate gripe.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Carbery showed his potential last night with that break.. but will it be at leinster? I fear not.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Luke McGrath had 17 try assists this season and 19 clean breaks.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

MelbourneRebel wrote:
suisse wrote: The 1 season thing seems to bug them too. Plenty of the foreigners who come over only stay a year.
It would not come up with us. There were never any chance when the situation was reversed.

18 months ago we were bare bones at outhalf due to injuries and exodus. The other provinces except Connacht have preferred to lose players to overseas than to us.

If we did get a sniff at a young superstar struggling for gametime in a position of need for us, we’d back ourselves to make him want to stay within the year.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote:
MelbourneRebel wrote:
It would not come up with us. There were never any chance when the situation was reversed.

18 months ago we were bare bones at outhalf due to injuries and exodus. The other provinces except Connacht have preferred to lose players to overseas than to us.

If we did get a sniff at a young superstar struggling for gametime in a position of need for us, we’d back ourselves to make him want to stay within the year.
Munster will back themselves to get carbery to want to stay, the minute he leaves leinster the chances he plays for leinster again drop massively.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They will, until they find some shiny other player. They can’t help themselves.

Whatever about Carbery’s minutes, Bill Johnston has 91 for Munster and is a year younger. He was being hyped by Foley when he was 18.

They didn’t even loan him to Ulster.

Ulster and Munster are all over Carbery but haven’t shown much interest in Byrne. It’s funny because Byrne has been very good and played the most minutes of any Leinster player they season.

Carbery has his rough edges and his off days, Munster fans will turn on him fast.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
MelbourneRebel wrote:

Henshaw tbf.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:They will, until they find some shiny other player. They can’t help themselves.

Whatever about Carbery’s minutes, Bill Johnston has 91 for Munster and is a year younger. He was being hyped by Foley when he was 18.

They didn’t even loan him to Ulster.

Ulster and Munster are all over Carbery but haven’t shown much interest in Byrne. It’s funny because Byrne has been very good and played the most minutes of any Leinster player they season.

Carbery has his rough edges and his off days, Munster fans will turn on him fast.
Byrne's natural game would suit Munster better.
However Joey is such a naturally slick passer he suits Leinster (and Ulster) better.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote:Luke McGrath had 17 try assists this season and 19 clean breaks.
Impressive - he'd a great game yesterday and really kept the tempo up.