Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:
ronk wrote:They will, until they find some shiny other player. They can’t help themselves.

Whatever about Carbery’s minutes, Bill Johnston has 91 for Munster and is a year younger. He was being hyped by Foley when he was 18.

They didn’t even loan him to Ulster.

Ulster and Munster are all over Carbery but haven’t shown much interest in Byrne. It’s funny because Byrne has been very good and played the most minutes of any Leinster player they season.

Carbery has his rough edges and his off days, Munster fans will turn on him fast.
Byrne's natural game would suit Munster better.
However Joey is such a naturally slick passer he suits Leinster (and Ulster) better.
Yes but Byrne wouldn’t solve the problem that Keatley hasn’t been able to.

Carbery won’t solve the problem that Hanrahan wasn’t able to.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Carbery to Munster will be announced today seemingly. 3 year deal is the rumour.

So basically bar him falling flat on his face, he will be Munster's starting outhalf for quite some time.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Will be very sorry to lose Joey and wish him and Ireland well. Earlsy and the other backs like Farrell, Scannell, Taute, Sweetnam, Conway and Wootan will relish his arrival but their back-rows will have to work harder. He's technically a great tackler on both shoulders but he takes you to higher risk areas for breakdowns i.e. further away from the last one.

As for the Leinster horizon, I'm looking forward to the emergence of a real competition between Byrne and the Skerries lad, Ciaran Frawley, to become Leinster No 2. Personally, I consider Frawley has a higher ceiling.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Will be very sorry to lose Joey and wish him and Ireland well. Earlsy and the other backs like Farrell, Scannell, Taute, Sweetnam, Conway and Wootan will relish his arrival but their back-rows will have to work harder. He's technically a great tackler on both shoulders but he takes you to higher risk areas for breakdowns i.e. further away from the last one.

As for the Leinster horizon, I'm looking forward to the emergence of a real competition between Byrne and the Skerries lad, Ciaran Frawley, to become Leinster No 2. Personally, I consider Frawley has a higher ceiling.
You've just upset an awful lot of posters, on here, with that last paragraph.
However, as usual, you are correct :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

I think I'm going to be sick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

harblstuff wrote:I think I'm going to be sick
I know the feeling, thankfully winning the double makes it easier.

Sadly, it's only going to get harder going forward with leinster being raided to support the other provinces.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

mildlyinterested wrote:
harblstuff wrote:I think I'm going to be sick
I know the feeling, thankfully winning the double makes it easier.

Sadly, it's only going to get harder going forward with leinster being raided to support the other provinces.
If they do well, if they even win a trophy, how am I supposed to feel apart from disgust?

If he and Munster are successful it will be at our expense, so I paradoxically do not want to see him be successful if he moves.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote:Carbery to Munster will be announced today seemingly. 3 year deal is the rumour.

So basically bar him falling flat on his face, he will be Munster's starting outhalf for quite some time.
Why 10? They have lots of 10s, they'll play him where they need him.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I wonder if Leinster management will release an official statement/response to the move.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

mildlyinterested wrote:I wonder if Leinster management will release an official statement/response to the move.
Nah. No point in getting political and annoying people. Player contracts and IRFU negotiations are Cullen's remit and I don't see him saying anything other than 'good move for the Player, would've liked him to stay, good luck'
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

As disappointed as I am, I am looking forward to the photos emerging of Joey arriving in Limerick laden down with medals, Mr T stylee.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

If Ian Keatley is sent to Ulster, it'll be a massive show of disrespect to Ulster. After the European semi, the best fans in the world and many in the media took a ticket and lined up at the 'bash Keatley game' which proved really popular. Carbery then becomes available (?) and the word is Keatley will be fine for Ulster. No reason why they should have to settle for Munster's rejects, especially when their 10 situation with Jackson was something they couldn't control. Ulster and Munster are competing at the same level next season. Not sure why Ulster get the left overs.

Anyway. Good luck to Joey but I can't see him every playing for Leinster again.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

suisse wrote: Anyway. Good luck to Joey but I can't see him every playing for Leinster again.
He won't. If this is confirmed today, he will never be in blue again.

The Pro Munster IRFU forced this move and they will block any return. We have Frawley and Harry to develop with Byrne and Sexton.

We'll be told 4 fly halves are enough and we don't need a 5th and be expected to believe that.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

suisse wrote:If Ian Keatley is sent to Ulster, it'll be a massive show of disrespect to Ulster. After the European semi, the best fans in the world and many in the media took a ticket and lined up at the 'bash Keatley game' which proved really popular. Carbery then becomes available (?) and the word is Keatley will be fine for Ulster. No reason why they should have to settle for Munster's rejects, especially when their 10 situation with Jackson was something they couldn't control. Ulster and Munster are competing at the same level next season. Not sure why Ulster get the left overs.

Anyway. Good luck to Joey but I can't see him every playing for Leinster again.
Keating would be backup to McPhillips, rather than playing second fiddle to Carberry, and would be expected to mentor him.
Keatley won't mind one bit being run out of town by the mob.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

harblstuff wrote:
suisse wrote: Anyway. Good luck to Joey but I can't see him every playing for Leinster again.
He won't. If this is confirmed today, he will never be in blue again.

The Pro Munster IRFU forced this move and they will block any return. We have Frawley and Harry to develop with Byrne and Sexton.

We'll be told 4 fly halves are enough and we don't need a 5th and be expected to believe that.
Don't think we'll be expected to believe it.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Can we expect the obligatory interview in a couple of months from Joey saying himself and his Da (why do they always bring their fathers into it?) where never really Leinster fans anyway and always cheered for Munster and that Limerick was always his spiritual home, he just never knew it till he got there! :?
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

This one is tough to take.

Objectively from and Ireland POV. It is the simplest solution. The simple ones do tend to be the most effective.

Go well Joey (if indeed this is true) and my lord I hope we never meet you in Europe
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Can we expect the obligatory interview in a couple of months from Joey saying himself and his Da (why do they always bring their fathers into it?) where never really Leinster fans anyway and always cheered for Munster and that Limerick was always his spiritual home, he just never knew it till he got there! :?

Well his father was born and raised in New Zealand, so maybe he doesn't actually care as much as the dedicated season ticket holder? His grandfather may be a little different, he went to Castleknock College and played rugby in the Leinster school's system - back when Castleknock was still winning.

We already know that Carbery was supporting the All Blacks in 2013, but we also know that he is playing for the team he always wanted to in Leinster. So if old tweets are to be believed, he has switched allegiance once before, but he seems more staunch in his support of Leinster.

He was reluctant to move, Ulster pulled out because he wasn't 100% dedicated and being forced to move to a rival caused so much stress he had sleepless nights.

Has he genuinely come to an epiphany and now sees the light in Munster, or is he going begrudgingly with a somewhat open mind to accepting it? I just hope the Fly Half ruining province doesn't shoehorn him into Neanderthal rugby, play him at 15 or on the bench and kill his creativity and career.
Triskaidekaphobia
Bookworm

Post by Triskaidekaphobia »

Would much preferred to have seen Carberry go to Ulster and play alongside Cooney. Moving him to Munster just doesn't sit right with me at all and I fully expect him to be used at 15 as much as a 10 there.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

2 years according to the Indo they even have it under Munster Rugby news to rub salt into the wound

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 64660.html
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ