Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by CiaranIrl »

“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I was fuming this morning after reading that one. I'm well pißed off that this is happening at this time of year. If someone came to me where I worked and said I had to move cities, I'd be uninterested in moving to Belfast.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

CiaranIrl wrote:I was fuming this morning after reading that one. I'm well pißed off that this is happening at this time of year. If someone came to me where I worked and said I had to move cities, I'd be uninterested in moving to Belfast.
If it were me I'd move to Belfast in a flash, a great City although with some areas that are best avoided, like Dublin.

Joey needs game time at 10, I'm unconvinced he is better than Ross Byrne if only because we haven't seen him play all that much. This season he just comes on to see out games against beaten teams, that's not good development.

If he remains at Leinster and Sexton remains un-injured his career is on a downward trajectory and he will be overtaken by Ross Byrne or the various candidates at Munster.

He needs to leave, it's almost inevitable.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

And people thought EOS was wumming/this couldn't happen!

I have no problem with the IRFU trying to make this happen, it makes perfect sense for them, Ulster, and to our outhalves who aren't starting or involved in big games...but with that said, they can f**k off. Outlining the benefits and encouraging someone to move is one thing (they might even find a loophole to give them a huge pay rise) but to force it on the players/Leinster is an entirely different kettle of fish. Don't agree with that at all and if it's true then it's pissed me off too and I hope we can push back on it. I know we're beholden to the IRFU in many ways but that shouldn't include this and we can't allow this precedent to be sent.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Can anyone confirm all the players in the Ulster squad who come from other provinces? OTB on Newstalk just said that there are 8 Leinster grads in the Ulster squad. And that's before Byrne/Carberry moves.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

It would make absolute sense for the IRFU to approach Leinster and ask if they think one of the 10s would be interested in moving. If both are reluctant, then the discussion is over.

But approaching Cullen this close to a semi is pathetic. Also, forcing a player to move when he doesn't want to move. This is PR disaster for the Union. Is this how they treat all their employees? Hopefully there is a significant backlash to this.

Carbery moving on loan, if he wanted to, but probably be best. But if he wants to stay, then that has to be respected.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

joooooe wrote:Can anyone confirm all the players in the Ulster squad who come from other provinces? OTB on Newstalk just said that there are 8 Leinster grads in the Ulster squad. And that's before Byrne/Carberry moves.
Alan O'Connor at lock; Nick Timoney and Greg Jones in the backrow; John Cooney and Dave Shanahan at scrum-half.

Eric O'Sullivan [prop] from Templeogue and Jack Regan [lock] from Birr are in their Academy.

Jordi Murphy and Marty Moore are set to join next year.

There's only one Leinster graduate in there at the moment – Cooney. Most of the other guys were in the sub-Academy and didn't get the nod for the Leinster Academy. Timoney was always a big talent as an underage player and has done really well for Ulster this season - exactly how the system should work.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

hugonaut wrote:
joooooe wrote:Can anyone confirm all the players in the Ulster squad who come from other provinces? OTB on Newstalk just said that there are 8 Leinster grads in the Ulster squad. And that's before Byrne/Carberry moves.
Alan O'Connor at lock; Nick Timoney and Greg Jones in the backrow; John Cooney and Dave Shanahan at scrum-half.

Eric O'Sullivan [prop] from Templeogue and Jack Regan [lock] from Birr are in their Academy.

Jordi Murphy and Marty Moore are set to join next year.

There's only one Leinster graduate in there at the moment – Cooney. Most of the other guys were in the sub-Academy and didn't get the nod for the Leinster Academy. Timoney was always a big talent as an underage player and has done really well for Ulster this season - exactly how the system should work.
Thanks, Hugo
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote:I was fuming this morning after reading that one. I'm well pißed off that this is happening at this time of year. If someone came to me where I worked and said I had to move cities, I'd be uninterested in moving to Belfast.
Like Joe and the IRFU are going to put this sh1t out at the business end of the season with all that's going on, on the pitch.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

outcast eddie wrote:
If it were me I'd move to Belfast in a flash, a great City although with some areas that are best avoided, like Dublin.

Joey needs game time at 10, I'm unconvinced he is better than Ross Byrne if only because we haven't seen him play all that much. This season he just comes on to see out games against beaten teams, that's not good development.

If he remains at Leinster and Sexton remains un-injured his career is on a downward trajectory and he will be overtaken by Ross Byrne or the various candidates at Munster.

He needs to leave, it's almost inevitable.
Switch Ross Byrne with Joey in your post and it comes out with a better answer and well you know it.
Joey would get buckets of time at ten as J10 will be well minded this side of RWC19
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

There is no incentive for Ross Byrne to move to Ulster. It would be an awful career decision.

There is good incentive for Joey Carbery to move to get game time although he will not receive the same standard of coaching currently on offer at Leinster and his highlight reel may not look so impressive this time next year due to the quality of the team around him. Tough choice to make.

Ross Byrne, on the other hand will continue to improve, probably, under Lancaster's tutelage.

The likely scenario is that Joey will move because Ross Byrne is a more valuable asset to Leinster Rugby right now.

But, Ross Byrne could overtake JC in the pecking order and next year Leinster have the familiar problem of both first choice out halves at Ireland camp, what then.

A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Personally, with Frawley and Hawkshaw coming through, I'd send Ross Byrne to Ulster and keep Ireland's number 1&2 outhalves in Leinster.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

riocard911 wrote:Personally, with Frawley and Hawkshaw coming through, I'd send Ross Byrne to Ulster and keep Ireland's number 1&2 outhalves in Leinster.
If Ireland's 1 +2 outhalves stay at Leinster it does not solve the root problem of Joey not getting game time at 10
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

riocard911 wrote:Personally, with Frawley and Hawkshaw coming through, I'd send Ross Byrne to Ulster and keep Ireland's number 1&2 outhalves in Leinster.
There’s something in that. Byrne has certainly come on better this season; but he’s had the game time to drive that improvement. But I still believe that Carberry has the higher ceiling as a player (not necessarily as a 10) and may be of more value to us with Frawley or another being prepared for the OH slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

It would make sense for many reasons for Joey to go to Ulster or, indeed, somewhere else. A few extra bob could sweeten it also.
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

Is this genuinely a situation where we will have to let one of them go, or is it just speculation?
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

outcast eddie wrote:
If Ireland's 1 +2 outhalves stay at Leinster it does not solve the root problem of Joey not getting game time at 10
He would presumably get a similar amount to what Byrne has had this year.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

outcast eddie wrote:There is no incentive for Ross Byrne to move to Ulster. It would be an awful career decision.

There is good incentive for Joey Carbery to move to get game time although he will not receive the same standard of coaching currently on offer at Leinster and his highlight reel may not look so impressive this time next year due to the quality of the team around him. Tough choice to make.

Ross Byrne, on the other hand will continue to improve, probably, under Lancaster's tutelage.

The likely scenario is that Joey will move because Ross Byrne is a more valuable asset to Leinster Rugby right now.

But, Ross Byrne could overtake JC in the pecking order and next year Leinster have the familiar problem of both first choice out halves at Ireland camp, what then.

A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma
Again swap the names around and you get a better result.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:
He would presumably get a similar amount to what Byrne has had this year.
Joey is in the Ireland squad.

Byrne is not.

Byrne gets game time at 10 for Leinster when Joey and Sexton are with Ireland.

If Joey stays at Leinster he will not get the same amount of game time as Ross Byrne, should he move on, because he will be with Ireland.
Last edited by outcast eddie on April 22nd, 2018, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

With Leinster competing on two fronts each and every year and with the player management considerations I reckon there would be enough game time for Carbery and Sexton in blue - no problem.