Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by johng »

In 12 months they could well have an out half. An awful lot more likely than unearthing one in the short time before pre season with a wc in 12 months
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:That's just it. What they need is a can kicking exercise. No one available this side of the wc.

Kicking the can down the road gives them a year to find a player that can mentor the next gen.

Ross Byrne gets a year of trying to be number 2

Joey gets a year of starting at 10 with the promise of returning to Leinster.

Ireland get exposure for back up 10 (hopefully in chumps cup)

Leinster get....... well their player back after wc and a chance to develop the next gen
And what if they really need someone to hold it together for a year for the sake of all the other Irish internationals in Ulster. There are scenarios where damaging an outhalf is an acceptable price for gains elsewhere, but not from the point of view of the outhalf.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

I saw ROG thinks Munster should go in for Carbery and he had a point, he could just as easily play a big part down there and at least they will be in the champions cup. The more I think about it he more it becomes obvious that a deal was done with Ulster. Don’t kick up a fuss when we get rid of Paddy Jackson and we’ll get you one of the lads from leinster as cover. Why else would the big push be to get him to play only fir Ulster who aren’t qualified for top European rugby next year.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Dave Cahill wrote:
johng wrote:That's just it. What they need is a can kicking exercise. No one available this side of the wc.

Kicking the can down the road gives them a year to find a player that can mentor the next gen.

Leinster get....... well their player back after wc and a chance to develop the next gen
What they need is an outhalf.

Right now they don't have an outhalf

In 12 months time they won't have an outhalf.

Ulster get nothing out of this.
Exactly, not interested thanks, this is mess of the IRFUs making, they've screwed us enough.

I'd rather we stuck with what we've got and allow them to develop along with the team rather than giving time to a guy who isn't interested in being here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

I may join this. It's already double the numbers of the massive feminist protest we had for the Ospreys game.Image

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I have to say that is fairly pathetic.

People were complaining that "feminist protesters" as you call them were protesting about events on a night that none of them were present at.

Now you have people protesting about "bullying" that may well not have taken place at meetings that none of them were at with zero WhatsApp messages leaking out afterwards.

Ffs
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote:

And what if they really need someone to hold it together for a year for the sake of all the other Irish internationals in Ulster. There are scenarios where damaging an outhalf is an acceptable price for gains elsewhere, but not from the point of view of the outhalf.
When Porter switched to TH, Hugo pointed out the risk is all on the player. Schmidt rewarded him on the Summer tour and he pushed on from there. Carbery is already 2nd choice, hard to see what he gets. Especially since Burns doesn't seem to be on Schmidts radar at all
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Freddy Burns is IQ? :)
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Joey started two matches at 10. I would imagine he will benefit from far more than that next season. A move away for Joey was essential.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

johng wrote:I have to say that is fairly pathetic.

People were complaining that "feminist protesters" as you call them were protesting about events on a night that none of them were present at.

Now you have people protesting about "bullying" that may well not have taken place at meetings that none of them were at with zero WhatsApp messages leaking out afterwards.

Ffs
+1. Is it something in the water, or do people just like giving out?
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Raydollard wrote:Joey started two matches at 10. I would imagine he will benefit from far more than that next season. A move away for Joey was essential.
Sounds like he isn't much of a 10 then. McPhilips has more experience, I'd rather stick with him.

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Raydollard wrote:Joey started two matches at 10. I would imagine he will benefit from far more than that next season. A move away for Joey was essential.
Sounds like he isn't much of a 10 then. McPhilips has more experience, I'd rather stick with him.

I don't really get why Ulster fans are so resentful of the idea that Carbery wants to play for his home province. Kids from an area grow up wanting to play for their home team. That's normal. Take Chris Farrell for example. He left partly because there happened to be so many excellent centres in Ulster at the time. Great young player when he left, but he knew he would have limited chances. His first choice would have been Ulster. Do you think Grenoble or Munster care? Making out that he's not good enough for you just because he would ideally like to play for his home province is just pointless.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:

I don't really get why Ulster fans are so resentful of the idea that Carbery wants to play for his home province. Kids from an area grow up wanting to play for their home team. That's normal. Take Chris Farrell for example. He left partly because there happened to be so many excellent centres in Ulster at the time. Great young player when he left, but he knew he would have limited chances. His first choice would have been Ulster. Do you think Grenoble or Munster care? Making out that he's not good enough for you just because he would ideally like to play for his home province is just pointless.
I agree with you. Not interested in him, if I had to have one it would be Byrne because he's the better 10. No interest in a player who, according to reports, will only sign up for 12months then clear off again. What do Ulster gain out of this? He's hardly an experienced outhalf as shown by his limited use by Leinster.

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by artaneboy »

Jackie Brown wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Sounds like he isn't much of a 10 then. McPhilips has more experience, I'd rather stick with him.

I agree with you. Not interested in him, if I had to have one it would be Byrne because he's the better 10. No interest in a player who, according to reports, will only sign up for 12months then clear off again. What do Ulster gain out of this? He's hardly an experienced outhalf as shown by his limited use by Leinster.
You gain a class international player for a season. That’s on a par with us getting Rocky Elsom and more than we got with Brad Thorne. Both were sort of successful.

McPhlillips is not in his class- and never will be. And despite his supporters here- Ross Byrne doesn’t have Joey’ potential either.

So if you are going to promote a ‘natives first’ policy, fair enough. But don’t pretend Carbery wouldn’t be a huge asset for your team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Comparing Joey Carbery to Rocky Elsom and Brad Thorne :lol:

This thread is taking a serious turn!
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

If Joey is a class international player then we've lost a world superstar in PJ. The two of them aren't comparable and I'd rather let one of our 3 gain the experience than be a Leinster development province.

desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

johng wrote:I have to say that is fairly pathetic.

Ffs
+ 1 and a thousand FFS's
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:Comparing Joey Carbery to Rocky Elsom and Brad Thorne :lol:

Pretty batshit mental alright
I have Bumbleflex
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Comparing Joey Carbery to Rocky Elsom and Brad Thorne :lol:

Pretty batshit mental alright
Okay- not claiming that Joey is at their level yet- though he has huge potential. So “batshit mental” or not I’m comfortable with the comparison as a ‘franchise maker’ in general terms. Carbery has the capacity to add to what the similarly unheralded Cooney added to Ulster when their much-loved Pinearr was moved on last season.

More to the point, I believe that Schmidt believes he’s that type of a player. If he were a typical back up to the main man, I don’t believe we’d have seen this unprecedented level of intervention by Nucifora and the national coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Jackie Brown wrote:If Joey is a class international player then we've lost a world superstar in PJ. The two of them aren't comparable and I'd rather let one of our 3 gain the experience than be a Leinster development province.

Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.
Realise that this cuts both ways but using Joey biases that speculation in Ulster's favour.
BTW most Leinster fan's would prefer to see Ross Byrne move north rather than Joey.
J10 is 33 in July.
Joey is the heir apparent in the majority of people's opinion.
(St. Micheal's past pupils excepted obviously.)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.