Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's more what I was looking for, thanks Dave!
paulmpb
Beginner

Post by paulmpb »

Lar wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

It will be interesting to see what happens to this post-brexit. If the UK strikes a reciprocal labour agreement with NZ or Australia, then one would have to assume that these players will be allowed play in the Premiership/HEC for UK clubs without restriction, but what about France and Italy (for example) and what about Ireland which in Rugby will be territorially both in the UK and Ireland
But equally will the UK immediately exit Kolpak on Brexit and what implications might that have for currently exempt players in the UK suddenly no longer being exempt?
Exempt from what though? Isn't it an EU ruling that Kolpak acts as an exception to?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

They are currently exempt from the non-EU player quota - if and when the UK brexits, what will happen to the reciprocal labour agreements between the EU and external countries that gives these players this status. If the UK isn't party to these agreements anymore, then the players are no longer exempt.
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I thought that the rules would remain the same for the transitional period, which should cover most players contracts. Obviously what would replace the transitional arrangements should be known long in advance but...
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

fourthirtythree wrote:I thought that the rules would remain the same for the transitional period, which should cover most players contracts. Obviously what would replace the transitional arrangements should be known long in advance but...
31/12/20 isn't that far away. And right now, 17 months out, there is nothing in place whatsoever in any shape or form. As you say indeed "but..."!
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Brexit reminds me of when the Heineken Cup ended. Nigel Wray and Bruce Craig as Gove and BoJo.

Hopefully we'll be calling it the Heineken United Kingdom in a few years and everything will be fine again.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:
hugonaut wrote: His kicking game improved dramatically this season, which had previously been a weakness for him.
Jaysus, not so sure about that!

He kicked generally well against Scarlets, but had a couple of absolute mares throughout the season as well.
He had some bad ones, but in comparison to last season they were few and far between. It seemed to me that he basically didn't have a professional-level tactical kicking game when he arrived at Leinster. He could kick the ball, but there were recurring problems with his choices and execution: he'd put up a box-kick when his winger had just carried into contact, or he'd hit a Madigan style kick [not high, not long] when we had turned over the ball and give it straight back.

This year his appreciation of when to kick and what is required of his kick [and how it fits into the gameplan, i.e. that his team-mates know what to expect] was vastly improved.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Phrasing? Are we still doing that?
TerenureJim wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:A good old JGP/Lukey debate should see us through to the first game of the season. I'm dying for more rugby...or to fight someone...whichever comes first.
Back of the bicycle shed 12:00, come alone and bring your lunch money.
Come alone and bring your lunch money? Em phrasing
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
hugonaut wrote: His kicking game improved dramatically this season, which had previously been a weakness for him.
Jaysus, not so sure about that!

He kicked generally well against Scarlets, but had a couple of absolute mares throughout the season as well.
He had some bad ones, but in comparison to last season they were few and far between. It seemed to me that he basically didn't have a professional-level tactical kicking game when he arrived at Leinster. He could kick the ball, but there were recurring problems with his choices and execution: he'd put up a box-kick when his winger had just carried into contact, or he'd hit a Madigan style kick [not high, not long] when we had turned over the ball and give it straight back.

This year his appreciation of when to kick and what is required of his kick [and how it fits into the gameplan, i.e. that his team-mates know what to expect] was vastly improved.
He has improved, not sure about the superlatives and I think he is still quite a poor kicker for an Irish 9. My theory is that when he's clued in and playing with Johnny he looks the part, but when he needs to control a game himself he still struggles. Scarlets in the SF was a good example of the former I think. Treviso at home was a good example of the latter irrc.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote:Phrasing? Are we still doing that?
TerenureJim wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Back of the bicycle shed 12:00, come alone and bring your lunch money.
Come alone and bring your lunch money? Em phrasing
[/quote]

Very little on Tv so Archer for me and bake off for her at the mo
EarthGorilla
Beginner

Post by EarthGorilla »

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 10891.html

The PR campaign starting even earlier than expected!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

EarthGorilla wrote:https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 10891.html

:lol: :lol:

it's going to be non-stop.

should talk about it in the Munster thread IMO, Joey made his decision, Good luck to him.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote:

should talk about it in the Munster thread IMO, Joey made his decision, Good luck to him.
Exactly. Best of luck to him. That said, from all I've heard from or read or seen about van Graan, I reckon he's a very canny operator, who's not to be underestimated. I've nothing against Munster raising their game - ditto Ulster & Connacht - it can only be good for Leinster and Ireland.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

riocard911 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

Exactly. Best of luck to him. That said, from all I've heard from or read or seen about van Graan, I reckon he's a very canny operator, who's not to be underestimated. I've nothing against Munster raising their game - ditto Ulster & Connacht - it can only be good for Leinster and Ireland.
Pretty much this.

I'm not thrilled by the move or the propaganda, but so long as Munster improve, it will benefit us, them and Ireland.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

riocard911 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

I have a problem with them weakening leinster in the process, end of the day, carbery had a leinster contract and it meant nothing.. sets a terribly dangerous precedent for Leinster rugby.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

re above: underhand methods excluded!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Anyway back to Leinster players..

Outhalf options:
Jonathan Sexton(33)
Noel Reid(28)
Ross Byrne(23)
Ciaran Frawley(20)
Harry Byrne(19)
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

mildlyinterested wrote:Anyway back to Leinster players..

Outhalf options:
Jonathan Sexton(33)
Noel Reid(28)
Ross Byrne(23)
Ciaran Frawley(20)
Harry Byrne(19)
I suppose Jimmy O'Brien could be an option there in an emergency as well in light of how he was used in the Montauban game. He was doing the restarts for the 7s at one point when Roche was injured and Dardis was off
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'm amazed we haven't resigned Cathal Marsh. Sexton will barely play due to the world cup. If Ross Byrne gets injured, we're absolutely screwed.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

CiaranIrl wrote:I'm amazed we haven't resigned Cathal Marsh. Sexton will barely play due to the world cup. If Ross Byrne gets injured, we're absolutely screwed.
he ended last season re-injuring his toe, could be related to that..

hopefully Frawley steps up... starting Friday.