Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ton
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Andrew097 wrote:Leinster need both JC and RB as international duties will pull JC and JS away for good chunks of the season. Having a bloody good outhalf for those periods is essential. Having the two young lads also allows Leinster to develop these players using JS as a mentor hopefully passing on good habits. It will also squeez another season or so out of JS by JC finishing games and starting others. It would also make Leinster very hard to play against.
Marsh should go as a trip to Ulster would benefit him plus another young one mayb if they are really stuck. TBH with the school scene in Ulster there must be some young players there too.
Warning do not send any backs to Munster it's a graveyard of back play. If an outhalf does not kick to the corner they do not know what to do.
Yesterday Munster looked like a poorly coached team with poor basic skills which let them down under pressure. There are also horrible rumours about the acedemy being only for young lads with the right surname. Sending promising young lads there to save them from their out half self inflicted madness is not fair.
It's hardly self inflicted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

curates_egg wrote:BOD quoted on Off the Ball as saying he wouldn't move to Ulster as its a "basket case".
A derogatory term for people with mental health problems. Nice

Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Twist wrote:This doesn't make much sense to me. Ross Byrne seems like the type of player Ulster need but he's only 1-2 years older than McPhillips and doesn't have much experience of big games.

If he were to leave, then Leinster suddenly look very light when JS and JC go to Ireland camp. (And if Byrne performs well at Ulster then maybe he comes into the Ireland reckoning too. If he doesn't perform well then Ulster are no better off)

So you send Carbery up the road and Ulster lose him to Ireland for big chunks of the year. And he's even younger than Byrne. And he's maybe not the player they need. Then again, we don't know what brand of rugby they'll play next year because they've no coach.

Added to all this is the worrying situation regarding Bleyendaal down south. Two neck operations since he last played, I think?

I don't know what the solution to all this is but I can't help but think that Madigan has a role to play. He's experienced, but not past it. He can run and pass and his kicking game is at least as good as RB. If it goes well he's another option for Joe, who's just lost PJ. Him and Cooney could build up a serious partnership. It'd be stupid not to at least sound him out.

Ulster need experience. Ireland need depth. Bring him home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Madigan wouldn't be welcome, too political. One thing we've avoided is sectarianism at Ulster, thank god, a player who wears 1916 boots would be divisive.

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Jackie Brown wrote:
curates_egg wrote:BOD quoted on Off the Ball as saying he wouldn't move to Ulster as its a "basket case".

You can't say "an absoluteclusterfuck of a shiteshow" on the radio. An endless parade of managers and excuses and always someone else's fault...
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:

You can't say "an absoluteclusterfuck of a shiteshow" on the radio. An endless parade of managers and excuses and always someone else's fault...
Jesus Jackie, don't be so uber-sensitive.
Also, there are various definitions for the term basket case. The ones I know: [the original] someone who had lost their limbs and had to be carried in a basket (stretcher); someone who is mentally incapacitated, typically from a nervous breakdown; and, finally, the one that is most commonly used this millennium, a country, organisation or rugby club that has severe operational or administrative difficulties (most typically economic or financial).
Pretty sure you will find that in your Oxford English dictionary, which is the standard reference.

Now, you could argue that Ulster has metaphorically lost its limbs, but I'd be pretty sure BOD was referring to the most common definition used currently.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Marsh leaving at the end of the season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Scrumhalf
Jamie Gibson Park(26) - Signed 3 yr contract in 2016
Luke McGrath(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Nick McCarthy(23) - Signed contract in 2017
Charlie Rock(23) - Future unconfirmed
Hugh O'Sullivan(20) - Academy Yr 2

Outhalf
Jonathan Sexton(33) - Signed central 4 yr contract in 2015
Ross Byrne(23) - Signed contract in 2017
Joey Carbery(22) - Signed contract in 2017
Ciaran Frawley(20) - Academy Yr 2
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

curates_egg wrote:Marsh leaving at the end of the season.
and confirmation that Byrne/Carbery aren't...
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I feel for Marsh. The timing of that toe injury was appalling. He could have gotten some good gametime during the 6N when Sexton & Carbery were away. Ross Byrne seemed to be carrying a niggle, but they felt they had to play him anyway. I've said it elsewhere, but I genuinely think he's a good player, and would make for a good signing at a mid tier club. If Ulster or Connacht don't pick him up, I hope he gets signed by a decent premiership club.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:
and confirmation that Byrne/Carbery aren't...
I'll believe that in September. And, like Cruiser, I'll still wear cloves of garlic around my neck.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:
I feel for Marsh. The timing of that toe injury was appalling. He could have gotten some good gametime during the 6N when Sexton & Carbery were away. Ross Byrne seemed to be carrying a niggle, but they felt they had to play him anyway. I've said it elsewhere, but I genuinely think he's a good player, and would make for a good signing at a mid tier club. If Ulster or Connacht don't pick him up, I hope he gets signed by a decent premiership club.
I've agreed with you before on this and I'll agree with you again. Not saying he's a hidden gem that just needs a chance to flourish, but he's still a decent outhalf. I've always thought that you don't need to be particularly well rounded to do well in England, and his passing and kicking could do very well over there, even if it turns out to be in the Championship.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Jackie Brown wrote: Madigan wouldn't be welcome, too political. One thing we've avoided is sectarianism at Ulster, thank god, a player who wears 1916 boots would be divisive.

Is that sarcasm??
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Twist wrote:This doesn't make much sense to me. Ross Byrne seems like the type of player Ulster need but he's only 1-2 years older than McPhillips and doesn't have much experience of big games.

If he were to leave, then Leinster suddenly look very light when JS and JC go to Ireland camp. (And if Byrne performs well at Ulster then maybe he comes into the Ireland reckoning too. If he doesn't perform well then Ulster are no better off)

So you send Carbery up the road and Ulster lose him to Ireland for big chunks of the year. And he's even younger than Byrne. And he's maybe not the player they need. Then again, we don't know what brand of rugby they'll play next year because they've no coach.

Added to all this is the worrying situation regarding Bleyendaal down south. Two neck operations since he last played, I think?

I don't know what the solution to all this is but I can't help but think that Madigan has a role to play. He's experienced, but not past it. He can run and pass and his kicking game is at least as good as RB. If it goes well he's another option for Joe, who's just lost PJ. Him and Cooney could build up a serious partnership. It'd be stupid not to at least sound him out.

Madigan wouldn't be welcome, too political. One thing we've avoided is sectarianism at Ulster, thank god, a player who wears 1916 boots would be divisive.

Well, naturally. Commemorating 1916 is sectarian, while having a permanent memorial arch to WW1 is completely different.

And waving the old Ulster Banner is fine.

Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Twist wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:

Well, naturally. Commemorating 1916 is sectarian, while having a permanent memorial arch to WW1 is completely different.

And there was me thinking it was our first HC winning scoreline.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

How can anything anyone has said so far in public morph into this headline.....
"Leinster can't force Joey Carbery to turn down Ulster"

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3471542
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

desperado wrote:How can anything anyone has said so far in public morph into this headline.....
"Leinster can't force Joey Carbery to turn down Ulster"

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3471542
Outrageous headline given both he and Byrne are strongly resisting a move. But no, the 'D4 media' just loves Leinster and distorts everything in their favour, right?
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Twist wrote:

Correct. Those things are fine.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by artaneboy »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Twist wrote:

Correct. Those things are fine.
Yeah, I’d say they are. But so too should be wearing 1916 boots.

Can’t we all just get along, without looking for reasons to be offended?

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"