Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

Re: Leinster's Halfback Options going forward

Post by outcast eddie »

riocard911 wrote:With Leinster competing on two fronts each and every year and with the player management considerations I reckon there would be enough game time for Carbery and Sexton in blue - no problem.
There's a lot of evidence to suggest that Leo and Lancaster see Ross Byrne as a better out half than Joey tho.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

Give them Cathal Marsh
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

riocard911 wrote:With Leinster competing on two fronts each and every year and with the player management considerations I reckon there would be enough game time for Carbery and Sexton in blue - no problem.
+1
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

If this is true it is not good. Nobody should be forced to go especially when it is a backward step in coaching, structures and squad. I am happy to see academy guys move when there is a logjam ahead of them but this is goong too far. We need 3 top 10s in the squad and JS only has a few good years left.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Joe Schmidt and Nucifora want Carberry to go to Ulster, not Byrne. If Joe wanted Byrne as his No22 for Ireland, he would have picked him there - in my opinion, RB has certainly done enough to get the nod. He's been at outhalf for Leinster for a lot of good wins this season.

Joe wants Carberry at No22, so Carberry is the guy who's going to go. Suggesting that Leo makes the call between JC and RB is bullshit. If Leo decides to keep JC, he'll still be Ireland's second string outhalf ... despite not being first choice in his province. I really like Keatley, but he was tragic today. You can't have him as backup to Sexton.

So pay Joey the €300K+ central contract you think he's worth and take him to Ulster. And give Leinster a massive amount of wedge to spend on an NIQ when Isa retires. Because we won the Grand Slam, you don't have to pay two years of Jamie Heaslip's salary, you're taking players who don't want to leave from Leinster and we're propping up two provinces [Connacht and Ulster].
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

hugonaut wrote:Joe Schmidt and Nucifora want Carberry to go to Ulster, not Byrne. If Joe wanted Byrne as his No22 for Ireland, he would have picked him there - in my opinion, RB has certainly done enough to get the nod. He's been at outhalf for Leinster for a lot of good wins this season.

Joe wants Carberry at No22, so Carberry is the guy who's going to go. Suggesting that Leo makes the call between JC and RB is bullshit. If Leo decides to keep JC, he'll still be Ireland's second string outhalf ... despite not being first choice in his province. I really like Keatley, but he was tragic today. You can't have him as backup to Sexton.

So pay Joey the €300K+ central contract you think he's worth and take him to Ulster. And give Leinster a massive amount of wedge to spend on an NIQ when Isa retires. Because we won the Grand Slam, you don't have to pay two years of Jamie Heaslip's salary, you're taking players who don't want to leave from Leinster and we're propping up two provinces [Connacht and Ulster].
+1
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Irish Squad players miss out on a significant amount of Provincial game time. If you are in Joey's position, Irish Squad member, but No 2 in two positions, you take a double hit of no premium Provincial game time i.e. European starting games, Pro14 starting games or even Pro14 games during Autumn and 6N breaks.

If JC was moved to Ulster, the alternate schedule of games he could expect to start:

A. Late start to Season 2018-19 as he will be on summer Tour (miss 2 Pro14 games);
B. Start playing mid-Sept in Pro14 & then 2 Euro Pool games;
C. Ireland Squad 5 weeks for Autumn Internationals, possibly one start;
D. One December Pro14 & 2 Euro games back-to-back pre-Christmas;
E. Miss Christmas Pro14 interpro for Ireland Camp;
F. One Pro14 & two Euro pool games in Jan;
G. Irish Squad last week in January to third week in March;
H. Return to Province for remainder of season 7 - 9 games, subject to success.

That's roughly what's on offer, probably with a National contract. Unlikely to be offered to Ross Byrne in Ulster, yet, but who knows? The timing of the offer may be cr@p and the detail may vary slightly, but them's the cards, so who wants to play them?
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

If I had the choice I would send RB up north and hold onto Joey - How much longer will Johnny play past world cup? We also have the big benefit of Frawley coming through the ranks that in my view would offer Leinster the same consistent back up for the games we dont have both international 10's in the squad.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

No thanks, we should develop one of our own young outhalves rather than develop yours for him to saunter back to Dublin when Sexton retires.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Jackie Brown wrote:No thanks, we should develop one of our own young outhalves rather than develop yours for him to saunter back to Dublin when Sexton retires.

The problem from Leinster's perspective is that once he's gone, he may never 'saunter back' to Dublin. McPhillips is the only real option Ulster have at 10. Yet again Leinster are paying for other provinces' unproductive academies.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

neiliog93 wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:No thanks, we should develop one of our own young outhalves rather than develop yours for him to saunter back to Dublin when Sexton retires.

The problem from Leinster's perspective is that once he's gone, he may never 'saunter back' to Dublin. McPhillips is the only real option Ulster have at 10. Yet again Leinster are paying for other provinces' unproductive academies.
He would though, he is only a prospect himself. In Lowry and Curtis we have two very exciting academy players, I would prefer an experienced outhalf who can also play 12 to guide them. Maybe Leliafano will come back.

STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Ulster need a grown up, finished product, who they can play without restrictions.

They don't need an Irish prospect, rarely available, and often Crocked from international duty.
Andrew097
Bookworm

Post by Andrew097 »

Leinster need both JC and RB as international duties will pull JC and JS away for good chunks of the season. Having a bloody good outhalf for those periods is essential. Having the two young lads also allows Leinster to develop these players using JS as a mentor hopefully passing on good habits. It will also squeez another season or so out of JS by JC finishing games and starting others. It would also make Leinster very hard to play against.
Marsh should go as a trip to Ulster would benefit him plus another young one mayb if they are really stuck. TBH with the school scene in Ulster there must be some young players there too.
Warning do not send any backs to Munster it's a graveyard of back play. If an outhalf does not kick to the corner they do not know what to do.
Yesterday Munster looked like a poorly coached team with poor basic skills which let them down under pressure. There are also horrible rumours about the acedemy being only for young lads with the right surname. Sending promising young lads there to save them from their out half self inflicted madness is not fair.
slit my wrists and its blue blood.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

hugonaut wrote:Joe Schmidt and Nucifora want Carberry to go to Ulster, not Byrne. If Joe wanted Byrne as his No22 for Ireland, he would have picked him there - in my opinion, RB has certainly done enough to get the nod. He's been at outhalf for Leinster for a lot of good wins this season.

Yes, plus we're shoring up "Munster" too.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Two things I am surprised haven't been brought up:
- Ulster is a sh!t-show right now: how would a player or the national management think it would be a good environment to progress an international player?
- Brexit: Joe and Nucifora are rugby men from the southern hemisphere, so may not really think about this, but the notion that it is not going to also disrupt Irish rugby's current model is fanciful; it seems quite a risky decision to just "send" a player to that jurisdiction in the current circumstances.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

The question is, how much longer will Sexton play on after the world cup? He'll be 34 at that stage. Maybe one more year? We don't want to end up like Munster after O'Gara. Carbery seems to be heir apparent, so we need to keep him and satisfy the paymasters with giving him enough gametime.

We can deal with Ross Byrne leaving. He's excellent, and he'll do well there. The gap between him and Marsh/Frawley isn't massive, and we have players like Harry Byrne, Conor Dean & maybe Hawkshaw pushing through.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

CiaranIrl wrote:The question is, how much longer will Sexton play on after the world cup? He'll be 34 at that stage. Maybe one more year? We don't want to end up like Munster after O'Gara. Carbery seems to be heir apparent, so we need to keep him and satisfy the paymasters with giving him enough gametime.

We can deal with Ross Byrne leaving. He's excellent, and he'll do well there. The gap between him and Marsh/Frawley isn't massive, and we have players like Harry Byrne, Conor Dean & maybe Hawkshaw pushing through.
Sexton has said in interviews that because he was a late bloomer, he has the freshness to play on after the world cup. Maybe the 2021 Lions could be his swansong? (he would turn 36 during the tour).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

J10 is 33 in July.
Carberry should stay in Leinster - no brainer.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

BOD quoted on Off the Ball as saying he wouldn't move to Ulster as its a "basket case".
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

Ludicrous suggestion for either of them to go.
Their development is clearly much better served in the Leinster setup, even if gametime is limited.
Carbery would have played a lot more too if he hadn’t been injured for most of the season.