Glas vs Lein: Fri 3/11 19.35(BBC Alba / TG4 Youtube Channel)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Glas vs Lein: Fri 3/11 19.35(BBC Alba / TG4 Youtube Chan

Post by hugonaut »

neiliog93 wrote:Considering we dominated possession and territory in the second half, it is very disappointing to take nothing from the game. We'd have the deserved the 2 losing bonus points a 31-28 loss would have brought. We made our characteristic mistakes in defence and the line out and they were costly. Glasgow spoiled everything at the breakdown, the referee gave the yellow cards that this merited but we weren't good enough to take advantage.

Positives: a) Barnstorming carrying display from Deegan
b) Fardy's best game for Leinster
c) Young backs: In the little game time they had, Marsh and Keenan looked comfortable. Larmour continues to prove that he's a serious attacking threat. Adam Byrne played very well, especially in attack.
d) Dominant scrum. Porter is really stepping up.

Negatives: a) JGP had a couple of good moments but overall continues to struggle.
b) Line out.
c) Defence (at times).
d) Conor O'Brien didn't look comfortable at all at this level but first game so he obviously gets a free pass.
Lot of turnovers from Conor O'Brien alright, but a lot of forceful running and travel over the gainline too – the Scrum.com stats have him at 12 carries for 50m+, 1 clean break and 4 defenders beaten. Like you say, I think it's fair to give him a free pass on his debut.

There's also the fact that he's our fifth choice No12 on the depth chart, behind Henshaw, Nacewa, Reid and Tom Daly. That's no exaggeration for the sake of argument, he's genuinely fifth choice. We've three injuries and an international missing in one position.

Don't think that Dan Leavy has performed well or looked right in the last couple of matches since returning from injury. Looks a little tentative and, like Jeb Bush, 'low-energy'.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:One of the side effects of losing so many guys to the national side and having so many young players in the team is we're going to look a bit haphazard and inexperienced at times.

But jaysus I can't help but thinking if McCarthy started and we were about 10% smarter there was at least 2 points there, if not 5.
Another totally one-eyed commentary.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Didn't think we'd get anything out of that game but we should have.
The optional tackling tactic is so frustrating to watch and is a bad tactic against teams with pacy, jinky backs.
I honestly thought two of their tries could have been ruled out.
Overall a Cheika-esque away game for the youngsters. Not sure they'll have learned anything from an unstructured mess like that.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Glas vs Lein: Fri 3/11 19.35(BBC Alba / TG4 Youtube Channel)

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:I'm awaiting the arrival of the Jamison Gibson Park Fundamentalist Group to defend that performance.

The Official Luke McGrath Supporters Club has won this round it seems.
Didn’t see the match yet. Recorded for purgatorial viewing this afternoon.

But yeah- it seems from the ‘instant posters’ here, that the less Luke plays the better he gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Losing possession on three of our own line outs on their five yard line in the second half cost us any chance of getting something out of that match. We have ZERO chance of winning any silverware if our substandard line out continues. I refer - again - to our loss to Bath in Bath two seasons ago in the ERCC. Having been taken apart in the scrums, there was a big fuss made about how the forwards came in specially on the Sunday to sort out the problem, so it would never happen again. How much longer do we have to wait before such remedial action is taken to improve our substandard line-outs?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

On a lighter note Adam Byrne made his best ever tackle when he absolutely floored that Glasgow dude Cronin was chasing after in the second half. Chapeau!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

curates_egg wrote:Didn't think we'd get anything out of that game but we should have.
The optional tackling tactic is so frustrating to watch and is a bad tactic against teams with pacy, jinky backs.
I honestly thought two of their tries could have been ruled out.
Overall a Cheika-esque away game for the youngsters. Not sure they'll have learned anything from an unstructured mess like that.
Agreed. They could certainly have had their 1st & 3rd ruled out for obstruction beyond the ball.

Also we should have had a penalty try in 2nd half
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Would also share LRIP's concern about Strauss and Mick Kearney getting sparked every time they play.
pangurban1
Bookworm

Post by pangurban1 »

Any chance Leinster could pick up a journeyman hooker in the Christmas sales?would they be let by Nuciflora?
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Rag tag performance from 1-23, clueless stuff from a few individuals in particular that just didn't help
Worst play of the night was a toss between JGP idiotic box kick into just in front of their 22 with no chaser that led to Matawalu running the length of pitch followed by the Keystone cops lineout on halftime

Defending system plus tackling was sub standard for most of the game with Few lads needing a few 1 on 1 sessions ( O'loughlin, Cronin,Bent, Molony to name a few)

Only plus was scrum which I thought was good plus in fairness I thought COB acquitted himself well

Lot of people on here blaming Cronin for the lineout woes...
I'm sorry but what's the guy suppose to do throw the ball and make them jump
2 lineouts on the 5m metre line, one Ross Maloney dropped cold as it was in his hands and second everybody in lineout ran into each other and nobody went up, again in mystified as how this is his fault all the time, I actually thought he thru well
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:But one fact I am certain of, criticism of JGP is off the mark and nothing but pre-ordained bias.
Ah the JGP Fundamentalists are here! Looks like this battle is far from over.

Now all we need is for someone to badmouth McGrath...
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought O'Brien was a bit hesitant early on but then really came into well in the second half. I was actually about to comment at how he was warming to the task very nicely until that crossfield kick. It would have been difficult for him to shine in a game with so little structure so overall I thought he did alright.

Also thought Molony was very good. Been saying it for a while now but his general play has been much improved recently, the odd brain dead penalty or dreadful knock on were detracting from otherwise good performances. He had one knock on last night that I wouldn't blame him for, and obviously the lineout went downhill but wouldn't pin all of that on him.

I'm also wondering if Cronin was dropped by Ireland because he's not fit. I remember commenting in a pre season game that he looked wrecked (totally understandable), during the Blues game before his try (when he was only on 15 mins as a sub), and then again last night before he went off. He seems less dynamic to me when he does get the ball. It may also explain why our lineout was strong initially (although Glasgow also weren't competing early on) but then went to sh!t.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Glasgow vs Leinster: Friday 3rd Nov 19.35(BBC Alba)

Post by simonokeeffe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I'd be fairly wary about their back row on the ground, particularly Gibbons. Jordi doesn't fit at 7 for me. Will be relying on Fardy to do a good bit of ruck attacking.

At least Leavy is benching.

Really interested to see Porter come off the bench. Should thrive on the plastic pitch. Similarly Larmour and JGP might get a bit of joy on the better surface.

Haven't seen Matawalu or Masaga play this season, but both used to be machines in space and ropey as fcuk when turned, so hopefully we're very aware of that.
Their backrow is good on the ground but Jordis ground game has kicked up a notch this year and Fardy's is top notch. I'd be more worried about a southern dandy ref letting them constantly cheat/slow our ball illegally
Well I was half right. He bottled carding more than one player at a time. And let them reach double their quota at least before issuing one. Plus how he and the touchjudge missed the illegal clearout by their tighthead that immediately led to the Muprhy yellow card is staggering
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Just going back to the Jordi yellow card. It appeared at the time that in the previous play where we coughed up the penalty that Jordi (the support player) was cynically taken out with a no arms tackle right under the refs nose. The replay confirms it at 22.54 here. We might not have deserved anything out of that match but that decision to not award us a penalty and then in the next play sinbin Murphy seriously killed us at the time.

Saw someone here saying the ref was decent I though he was weak, if one side was getting penalised a lot he would then try and even if out with weak penalties the other way. That is not his job. He. bottled a yellow just before he gave Glasgow their first one and he bottled a second just before their second one. People give out about players like Sexton and McGrath getting in refs ears the whole time but it shows it works because when you respect substandard refs they give you nothing.

None of this makes up for us being poor at basics like kicking and tackling obviously.

The Murphy incident is at 22.54, the ref could hardly be closer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q76INPXavRM

Edit: What the sokster was saying.
Last edited by OTT on November 4th, 2017, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

wixfjord wrote:Ah the JGP Fundamentalists are here! Looks like this battle is far from over.
Havent seen the match. Have no intention of watching it. But I'm not in the slightest bit surprised to see certain posters focusing on Gibson-Park.

I'd agree that we should expect more from one of the international players, but I find the constant focus on one player a little bit distaseful. Reminds me a little of the MOC days.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

OTT wrote:Just going back to the Jordi yellow card. It appeared at the time that in the previous play where we coughed up the penalty that Jordi (the support player) was cynically taken out with a no arms tackle right under the refs nose. The replay confirms it at 22.54 here. We might not have deserved anything out of that match but that decision to not award us a penalty and then in the next play sinbin Murphy seriously killed us at the time.

Saw someone here saying the ref was decent I though he was weak, if one side was getting penalised a lot he would then try and even if out with weak penalties the other way. That is not his job. He. bottled a yellow just before he gave Glasgow their first one and he bottled a second just before their second one. People give out about players like Sexton and McGrath getting in refs ears the whole time but it shows it works because when you respect substandard refs they give you nothing.

None of this makes up for us being poor at basics like kicking and tackling obviously.

The Murphy incident is at 22.54, the ref could hardly be closer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q76INPXavRM

Edit: What the sokster was saying.
compare that directly with the penalty given against us on 26 minutes for "going beyond the breakdown" - i genuinely could not find that on 3 rewatches of the preceding play but the ref had no issues ignoring Fardy being held into the ruck by a Glasgow player off his feet.

If i were to rate this ref I would say OK mixed with flashes of Fitzgibbeon ineptitude
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He was pretty good apart from the bits where he was truly awful. I was pretty unhappy about the Murphy clearout at the time, less so with the Fardy one as that was less ridiculous, not binning Harley when he shouted "leave it" and Harley stuck his hand up and went right back in was ridiculous. If nothing else it rewards stupid players. I can get it if the other team is "cuter at the breakdown" but there he went right beyond what the ref tolerated. But apparently he didn't mean it.

Us getting penalised for a clearout beyond the ruck was also a bit rich given the previous 60 minutes in the game. You know that thing about consistency? Well we didn't get it. And that's inexcusable in a ref.

But nobody got seriously injured from foul play and that's always a plus if you have a saffer ref. Not always expected.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Logorrhea wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Ah the JGP Fundamentalists are here! Looks like this battle is far from over.
Havent seen the match. Have no intention of watching it. But I'm not in the slightest bit surprised to see certain posters focusing on Gibson-Park.

I'd agree that we should expect more from one of the international players, but I find the constant focus on one player a little bit distaseful. Reminds me a little of the MOC days.
Distasteful is the word for it.

You should watch the first half though: highly entertaining, if badly reffed.
People are looking for a false bogeyman if they are ignoring the two main issues: optional tackling and a non-existent captain. That ref was allowed to get away with some poor decisions through not having a captain on the pitch.
Can't understand why the IRFU wouldn't have allowed us one or two senior players. They need gametime and our club captain is injured.
Last edited by curates_egg on November 4th, 2017, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

curates_egg wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:

Distasteful is the word for it.

You should watch the first half though: highly entertaining, if badly reffed.
People are looking for a false bogeyman if they are ignorant the two main issues: optional tackling and a non-existent captain. That ref was allowed to get away with some poor decisions through not having a captain on the pitch.
Can't understand why the IRFU wouldn't have allowed us one or two senior players. They need gametime and our club captain is injured.
100%...Maloney wasn't up to it, they infringed 5 times in a row on our nail before he even spoke to ref and never addressed the ruck issue at all, they were grabbing/cleaning our guys 5m past ruck which was cynical
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

JGP wasn't one of the worst players on display, but like a lot of fans, I just find it frustrating when he's not up to a very high expected standard. We have had to make do with just 3 NIQ signings to shore up our second string team. When any of the precious few slots get filled by someone who makes lots of mistakes, it rankles. There's plenty of examples from the last decade where an NIQ got a disproportionate hard time from us.

I'll tell you who really does get an easy ride here who probably shouldn't: Ross Moloney. I just don't know what he's good at. The lineouts were much more his fault than Cronin. He wasn't remotely physical enough. He missed important tackles. He didn't calm the team down when he needed to as Captain. Really frustrating to watch.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

CiaranIrl wrote:JGP wasn't one of the worst players on display, but like a lot of fans, I just find it frustrating when he's not up to a very high expected standard. We have had to make do with just 3 NIQ signings to shore up our second string team. When any of the precious few slots get filled by someone who makes lots of mistakes, it rankles. There's plenty of examples from the last decade where an NIQ got a disproportionate hard time from us.

I'll tell you who really does get an easy ride here who probably shouldn't: Ross Moloney. I just don't know what he's good at. The lineouts were much more his fault than Cronin. He wasn't remotely physical enough. He missed important tackles. He didn't calm the team down when he needed to as Captain. Really frustrating to watch.
Yeah - with you on the Ross Moloney thing there - but in saying that maybe I’m just not a real rugby bloke so i just don’t get it ?