Glas vs Lein: Fri 3/11 19.35(BBC Alba / TG4 Youtube Channel)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Glas vs Lein: Fri 3/11 19.35(BBC Alba / TG4 Youtube Chan

Post by fourthirtythree »

kermischocolate wrote:How the feck did you guys not win that game?! We didn't score for what, 50mins?
We were sh!t? Well that's what it looked like to me anyway. We got nothing less than we deserved out of that game.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Experimental wrote:Matawalu , what a player! Glasgow are a joy to watch these days, as for us today, headless chicken stuff...
Obviously not playing him at 9 is the key <insert shudder sound here>, he's so elusive and really suits the way Glasgow play. He punishes missed tackles and beaten men mercilessly which is something we are currently open to exposure on.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

I also think the TMO input at the end needs to be reviewed by Greg Garner. There was something very very fishy about it, and more than one person in my company said it. The ref on the other hand had a good game.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

raith rover wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:I've never watched on Alba before. Serious shower of whinging pricks they employ to commentate. Never heard anything as bad. Someone should record a few clips of Fraser Brown calling us cheats so we have something to play for the lads next time they show up to the RDS.
I suspect you are referring to our Gaelic cult hero, Hugh Dan MacLennan from the Outer Hebrides ! As for Fraser Brown. He's a hooker. What do you expect ? Bill McLaren !
On a more serious note. How do you solve a problem like Matawalu ? You don't. You sign him !
Yes, and then you play him in games against makeshift backlines like ours (9th of the season).
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

CiaranIrl wrote:I've never watched on Alba before. Serious shower of whinging pricks they employ to commentate. Never heard anything as bad. Someone should record a few clips of Fraser Brown calling us cheats so we have something to play for the lads next time they show up to the RDS.
In fairness they can point to their record in Europe where better reffing .........

They think we're stonecutters. You'd swear they didn't have Harley on their team.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Hilljills

Post by Hilljills »

Experimental wrote:I also think the TMO input at the end needs to be reviewed by Greg Garner. There was something very very fishy about it, and more than one person in my company said it. The ref on the other hand had a good game.
'Twas a bit of a daft TMO review, no doubt.

To counter that thought Scottish sides have played Irish sides with Clancy and Lacey officiating for years now! Say no more.

Good game tonight, suspect that Glasgow and Leinster will see each other at in the final. Only side I can see that might come between them is the Scarlets.
raith rover
Beginner

Post by raith rover »

paddyor wrote:
raith rover wrote:
I suspect you are referring to our Gaelic cult hero, Hugh Dan MacLennan from the Outer Hebrides ! As for Fraser Brown. He's a hooker. What do you expect ? Bill McLaren !
On a more serious note. How do you solve a problem like Matawalu ? You don't. You sign him !
Yes, and then you play him in games against makeshift backlines like ours (9th of the season).
Who picked your makeshift back line ? Why is it any more makeshift than Glasgow's ?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

raith rover wrote:Who picked your makeshift back line ? Why is it any more makeshift than Glasgow's ?
What does that have to with my point? Ripping it up in the Pro12 against scratch teams/backlines when the internationals are away is about his level.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

raith rover wrote: Who picked your makeshift back line ? Why is it any more makeshift than Glasgow's ?
It wasn't the point, but since you asked, yes it was more 'makeshift'.

You have 10 backs in the Scotland AI squad, 5 of whom were in the squad tonight, plus two international wingers and another benching. At 10, Peter Horne has over 100 Glasgow caps and 25 Scottish ones. At 15, Jackson has over 100 Glasgow caps and 31 Scottish ones.

We have 7 in the Irish squad, 2 of whom were in the squad tonight, plus our very experienced captain missing and an academy debutant at 12. At 10, Ross Byrne has 25 Leinster caps. At 15, Larmour has >5 Leinster caps.
Last edited by wixfjord on November 3rd, 2017, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raith rover
Beginner

Post by raith rover »

paddyor wrote:
raith rover wrote:Who picked your makeshift back line ? Why is it any more makeshift than Glasgow's ?
What does that have to with my point? Ripping it up in the Pro12 against scratch teams/backlines when the internationals are away is about his level.
Pro14 nowadays. Keep up. Strength in depth is required nowadays. Makeshift and scratch team excuses are just that. Excuses.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

What a joke of a game except it was no joke. I'm afraid we failed completely as a professional team tonight. If indeed we are professional there has to be some consequences.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

raith rover wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Pro14 nowadays. Keep up. Strength in depth is required nowadays. Makeshift and scratch team excuses are just that. Excuses.
RR you're doing yourself no favours.
Niko hasn't played that well for us in a very very long time. Like Glasgow as a whole he struggles against well organised well structured teams. Give him the sniff of a chance and he will create something out of nothing. He very often then goes and f%~ks it up in the same move! Our backline tonight was the more settled of the two- Horne the elder is a much better 12 but has played 10 many times.

I think both teams on the whole were fairly evenly affected by who wasn't available. The fact we didn't score after 30-odd minutes is concerning.

More importantly while a 5 point bonus win is not to be sniffed at the real game was a couple of weeks ago and we got absolutely schooled. So I wouldn't get too excited just yet.
pangurban1
Bookworm

Post by pangurban1 »

Well said kermischoc, both sides have a lot to do.
Three weeks ago I would have said Glasgow had little to do.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

kermischocolate wrote:RR you're doing yourself no favours.
Niko hasn't played that well for us in a very very long time. Like Glasgow as a whole he struggles against well organised well structured teams. Give him the sniff of a chance and he will create something out of nothing. He very often then goes and f%~ks it up in the same move! Our backline tonight was the more settled of the two- Horne the elder is a much better 12 but has played 10 many times.

I think both teams on the whole were fairly evenly affected by who wasn't available. The fact we didn't score after 30-odd minutes is concerning.

More importantly while a 5 point bonus win is not to be sniffed at the real game was a couple of weeks ago and we got absolutely schooled. So I wouldn't get too excited just yet.
Tbf, you were a score away from killing the game at half time. You were quite happy let us have the ball(21% 2nd half) and territory(11% 2nd half - with good reason it turns out). You were so confident you turned down an easy kick to make it a 13 point game. Your coaches called it and the players delivered 5-0. I reckon if we'd more of a sniff you'd have been able to get on the ball more and make something happen. You only 14 men for 20 minutes of the half.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Rugby is a team game. That doesn't just mean fifteen players and eight subs but a team which is a unit who understand how to apply their collective skilss to defeating the opposition. We were not a team this evening. We had the individual ability to progress to within 5 mtrs of their line but insufficient teamwork to convert overwhelming position and possession into a win.

Teamwork also applies to defence. Aside from the extraordinary ability of Matwalu, they scored tries from far out without any pressure being exerted because of our inexperienced defending.

Probably something to be taken from that game but I need to digest it to decide what was good and what was just very bad. But one fact I am certain of, criticism of JGP is off the mark and nothing but pre-ordained bias.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:But one fact I am certain of, criticism of JGP is off the mark and nothing but pre-ordained bias.
That is simply not true. A lot of people gave him a free pass as it would take some time to come to terms with a move in hemisphere and a different rugby environment. That pass has expired and now its time to see progression from the player that arrived 12 months ago. Has there been any? I would suggest not very much.
I have Bumbleflex
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

paddyor wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:RR you're doing yourself no favours.

Tbf, you were a score away from killing the game at half time. You were quite happy let us have the ball(21% 2nd half) and territory(11% 2nd half - with good reason it turns out). You were so confident you turned down an easy kick to make it a 13 point game. Your coaches called it and the players delivered 5-0. I reckon if we'd more of a sniff you'd have been able to get on the ball more and make something happen. You only 14 men for 20 minutes of the half.
Hmmmm think you give us more credit than we deserved. We should have had the game killed before half time but yet again we let you guys get a lot of momentum (which you should have scored from).
Anyhoo, the most fun 40 mins I've had since we played Leicester in January. Niko is back and wee George Horne is a very very exciting prospect.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Considering we dominated possession and territory in the second half, it is very disappointing to take nothing from the game. We'd have the deserved the 2 losing bonus points a 31-28 loss would have brought. We made our characteristic mistakes in defence and the line out and they were costly. Glasgow spoiled everything at the breakdown, the referee gave the yellow cards that this merited but we weren't good enough to take advantage.

Positives: a) Barnstorming carrying display from Deegan
b) Fardy's best game for Leinster
c) Young backs: In the little game time they had, Marsh and Keenan looked comfortable. Larmour continues to prove that he's a serious attacking threat. Adam Byrne played very well, especially in attack.
d) Dominant scrum. Porter is really stepping up.

Negatives: a) JGP had a couple of good moments but overall continues to struggle.
b) Line out.
c) Defence (at times).
d) Conor O'Brien didn't look comfortable at all at this level but first game so he obviously gets a free pass.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

kermischocolate wrote:Hmmmm think you give us more credit than we deserved. We should have had the game killed before half time but yet again we let you guys get a lot of momentum (which you should have scored from).
Anyhoo, the most fun 40 mins I've had since we played Leicester in January. Niko is back and wee George Horne is a very very exciting prospect.
Tough crowd! About 10 mins into the 2nd half I thought you'd let us have the ball and look to pick us off like you've done a few times. You're not givin gthe team enough credit.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Experimental wrote:Matawalu , what a player! Glasgow are a joy to watch these days, as for us today, headless chicken stuff...
He's a 7's player - excels in a helter skelter environment which is what the 1st half was. In a structured game he is lost and defensively he is poor.