Jordan Larmour

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Icarus
Knowledgeable

Re: Jordan Larmour

Post by Icarus »

johng wrote:Awe. Truly this man is the son of Bod
And they said players like BOD only came around once every three generations!
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Reminds me a lot of Felix Jones in running style, but he may be a more rounded footballer. Jones was an out and out full back in my book. It looks like Larmour can play either 14 or 15. It was clear he was good from the under 20s (I think it was v France that he most impressed), but this good? I did not expect that. Tonight’s try was outstanding and he was able to display a wide variety of his skills. First of all his positioning to get the ball with time in the first place. Then he side stepped to the right, was happy to go sideways and be patient, scan the field in front of him and decide not to use Lowe, then picked his moment to hit the gas. To beat Keatley he was able to side step this time to the left and break that tackle. It’s important that he did look for support, but rightly made the decision to go himself. He prepared to finish by swapping hands and trying to fend. I think he scored when he first hit the ground, but his fight after the tackle to make absolutely sure impressed me too.

I thought he was a pure wing, given his speed and i thought it’d be hard to have the necessary composure when you run as fast and as pumped up as that. But he is more mature than I appreciated he could be and it’s hard to say if he’ll end up as mostly a wing, or mostly a fullback. That adaptability is sometimes a curse, but in this case I think it’s a major string to his bow. It may be just his speed, but positionally he seems to cover the backfield better than Carbery. That’s the biggest thing that Rob has had over all pretenders to his position. Kearney covers and reads so comfortably. If Larmour can continue to develop that, he sure is electric with the ball. Worth noting that Joe was a fan of Felix. If you’ve ever seen old footage of Schmidt playing, I think he may have seen a bit of himself in that running style.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I'd say he's more Jason Robinson than Felix Jones
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Completely different to Felix Jones. Larmour has much better feet, is more explosive/has better acceleration, is faster, and is more balanced with a lower centre of gravity and shorter in stature. Significantly better, in other words. Jones was a great defender, intelligent in terms of positioning, solid under the high ball and could kick well, but Larmour seems to have all of those things too. It's really hard to resist hyping this kid because he just looks bloody unbelievable.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I keep saying it, but the fact that he looks comfortable at 13 too means that he's a great option for the Ireland bench. I'm always conscious of not doing too much too soon with young players...I mean, imagine the groans when he next catches a ball and doesn't run the pitch? That's not even a joke, there really is going to be serious pressure on him now. But the reality is that the World Cup is a season and a half away and we're going to have to get him involved ASAP.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I thought he should have taken the pass option rather than finishing himself.

He has a lot of developing to do but he's already an intelligent footballer who's developing well.

At his current trajectory he could be playing in the 6N but maybe the summer tour would be better for his long term development.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

what I loved about him yesterday was he looked to counterattack every time, he didnt run the ball back stupidly, but his factory setting is to counter attack not just aimlessly kick it back/play it safe

having backs like that makes counter attacking the % option for us and gives us a counterattacking threat we havent had since Isa's first spell
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This try was simply mesmeric and having watched it countless times at full speed and, in super slow-motion with the benefits of modern technology, it definitely deserves a full description;

The Start on 68:42 in match time - Phase 1, 5 seconds duration
Having received a pass from Conor Murray at an attacking ruck, Ian Keatley kicks from 15m behind his half-way line, centre field, and moving from his left to right.

Phase 2 - 6 seconds duration
Jordan Larmour enters, stage right at match-time 68:47, a full five-second hang-time on Keatley's steepling kick. He catches the ball in two hands, with his back facing the left touchline, about 17 metres from that touchline and 25m from his own goal-line. In a straight line, he had 75m to make it to the Munster goal-line. But he didn't run in a straight line.

His first step was a small jump off both feet to square up his body to face the oncoming chasers, a line of three, Conway, Arnold and Rory Scanell, supported five metres behind by Murray. Next was a side-step off his right foot which took him on a path towards the rapidly advancing Conway. He followed with five strides, diagonally right to left towards Conway, now five metres away. His next 5/7 steps or strides were mesmeric. From a position about 10m from the left touchline, he threw in three, left to right side-steps, and a hallmark 'straddle-step', both feet planted parallel and hopping to his right, beating Arnold and then Scanell and Murray on their left, before accelerating powerfully with 12 strides, on a marginally left to right path, which took him, in a total of 24 steps and strides, over the half-way line just about six seconds, at match-time 68:53, after he had received the ball. As the crow flies, he had travelled 25m in this brief time. His path however was more that of a gazelle, or prairie leopard, grace, pace and agility combining effortlessly,

Phase 3 - 1.5 seconds duration
Continuing on his marginally left to right track, he was confronted by Keatley, whom he beat with a sumptuous right to left side-step, just beyond the Munsterman's 10m line, and with only Simon Zebo remaining in the frame.

Phase 4 - 4.5 seconds duration
Zebo may have underestimated his protagonist's pace, because the angle of running he took only brought him into actual contact with Larmour about 3m from the try line. On the 47th of his 52 steps and strides, Larmour astutely switched the ball from his right hand to his left which allowed him to fend Zebo throughout his final three strides and although the Munsterman's left arm encircled his body and left arm, Larmour's 52th stride took him over the goal-line as the match-clock showed 63:00, 13 seconds after he had received the ball and six seconds after he had crossed the half-way line. He had covered 53m in those last six seconds.

What goes through a players's mind in such a short period? Counting opponents beaten and to beat? Figuring the optimum angles at which to avoid the next tackle? Visually locating the supporting Leinster player to whom an offload might be possible? Worrying about the consequences for his team if he was tackled by the first-up chaser, well behind any line of support?

Possible all, or none, of these thoughts flitted through his mind. Regardless, in those 13 seconds, Jordan Larmour created a sporting moment which has been universally acclaimed, by friend and opponent alike, as one of the greatest individual Irish rugby tries. For my part, I am certain that I have seen none better during lifelong viewing of Irish rugby.

Well done Jordan and keep producing moments like this.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Ruckedtobits wrote:This try was simply mesmeric and having watched it countless times at full speed and, in super slow-motion with the benefits of modern technology, it definitely deserves a full description;

Having received a pass from Conor Murray at an attacking ruck, Ian Keatley kicks from 15m behind his half-way line, centre field, and moving from his left to right.

Jordan Larmour enters, stage right at match-time 68:47, a full five-second hang-time on Keatley's steepling kick. He catches the ball in two hands, with his back facing the left touchline, about 17 metres from that touchline and 25m from his own goal-line. In a straight line, he had 75m to make it to the Munster goal-line. But he didn't run in a straight line.

His first step was a small jump off both feet to square up his body to face the oncoming chasers, a line of three, Conway, Arnold and Rory Scanell, supported five metres behind by Murray. Next was a side-step off his right foot which took him on a path towards the rapidly advancing Conway. He followed with five strides, diagonally right to left towards Conway, now five metres away. His next 5/7 steps or strides were mesmeric. From a position about 10m from the left touchline, he threw in three, left to right side-steps, and a hallmark 'straddle-step', both feet planted parallel and hopping to his right, beating Arnold and then Scanell and Murray on their left, before accelerating powerfully with 12 strides, on a marginally left to right path, which took him, in a total of 24 steps and strides, over the half-way line just about six seconds, at match-time 68:53, after he had received the ball. As the crow flies, he had travelled 25m in this brief time. His path however was more that of a gazelle, or prairie leopard, grace, pace and agility combining effortlessly,

Continuing on his marginally left to right track, he was confronted by Keatley, whom he beat with a sumptuous right to left side-step, just beyond the Munsterman's 10m line, and with only Simon Zebo remaining in the frame.

Zebo may have underestimated his protagonist's pace, because the angle of running he took only brought him into actual contact with Larmour about 3m from the try line. On the 47th of his 52 steps and strides, Larmour astutely switched the ball from his right hand to his left which allowed him to fend Zebo throughout his final three strides and although the Munsterman's left arm encircled his body and left arm, Larmour's 52th stride took him over the goal-line as the match-clock showed 63:00, 13 seconds after he had received the ball and six seconds after he had crossed the half-way line. He had covered 53m in those last six seconds.

What goes through a players's mind in such a short period? Counting opponents beaten and to beat? Figuring the optimum angles at which to avoid the next tackle? Visually locating the supporting Leinster player to whom an offload might be possible? Worrying about the consequences for his team if he was tackled by the first-up chaser, well behind any line of support?

Possible all, or none, of these thoughts flitted through his mind. Regardless, in those 13 seconds, Jordan Larmour created a sporting moment which has been universally acclaimed, by friend and opponent alike, as one of the greatest individual Irish rugby tries. For my part, I am certain that I have seen none better during lifelong viewing of Irish rugby.

This post should be read with a really good Whiskey or Brandy whilst watching the try on a loop. Great stuff :lol: :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Class try. Put me in mind of Isa's one v Leicester 2009.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:This try was simply mesmeric and having watched it countless times at full speed and, in super slow-motion with the benefits of modern technology, it definitely deserves a full description;

What goes through the mind.....?
Just a theory but possible answer or combo answer.
1. We've all experienced situations where time seems to slow down and everything seems to happen in slow motion.
This usually happens in moments of extreme danger.
If Larmour or BOD have managed somehow or other to occasionally tap into this ability then....
2. Separately but possibly related might be a heightened gift for seeing/analysing patterns.
This would give them the ability to see the possibilities open to them.
Not only that they would see these possibilities quicker than anyone else and better again opt for the best option available.
They may not be fully aware of the ability but things just seem to happen for them and they learn to trust their "intuition" but it's not intuition it something much more powerful.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Cianostays wrote:

This post should be read with a really good Whiskey or Brandy whilst watching the try on a loop. Great stuff :lol: :clap:
That’s class rtb. I’d want that on an audio book read by David Attenborough.

It’s purely his running style I would compare to Jones, Neillog. Just the full-throttle nature of it. But that’s just an intangible memory I have of Felix Jones before injury hit him, that I now get when I see Larmour play. But yep, they are different players, definitely. Geoghan gave me the same feeling too, just such a hunger to attack, but look, Larmour is his own man. His challenge is to continue to develop and hopefully have a more fulfilling career than injury allowed those 2.

For me Ronk he was right not to pass. To potentially waste that break with a knock-on at that point would’ve been a risk. Worst case scenario (as long as he holds on) is an attacking 5m scrum. The important bit for me is that he did actually have a look around and actively decided not to pass. That suggests a bit of composure and that he is more than just a head down, ball hog. But we’ll know more over time. His passing game is indeed a question so far unanswered though. Has he got the passing game to playmake and be a dual threat from 15? Not every full back is that, and he doesn’t have to be that, but it’d be another feather in his cap if he could. He’s been a natural strike runner so far in what I’ve seen.

Obviously we’ve entered a different world of hype here, which is dangerous, but I do think you’ve gotta enjoy a moment like that. And he should too. No doubt we’ll all be lining up to tell him how badly he did something on another day. And he should be ready and readied for that. But he doesn’t strike me as someone who’ll get overly carried away.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Really enjoyed that R2B, just one glaring inaccuracy: he was stage left (audience and camera right, but stage left for him).

As mentioned earlier in this thread his chip ahead try in Templeville was a hype worthy moment in its of. For me what really stands out for such a young fella is that he gets better, more likely to punish the opposition, after an hour of hard graft. Som I hint he has in common with Henshaw.

I look forward to him announcing himself to Europe after two blistering pro 14 tries.
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

He's scored two amazing tries in blue and put in eye catching performances at every level since school boy days.
While we're always going to get excited about one of our own, I'm not sure we're seeing anything that Craig Gilroy hasn't done and yet he can't make it anywhere near an Ireland squad.
People are quick to forget Gilroy's try vs Munster in the HEC or his numerous highlight reels.
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

Eristic wrote:He's scored two amazing tries in blue and put in eye catching performances at every level since school boy days.
While we're always going to get excited about one of our own, I'm not sure we're seeing anything that Craig Gilroy hasn't done and yet he can't make it anywhere near an Ireland squad.
People are quick to forget Gilroy's try vs Munster in the HEC or his numerous highlight reels.

Also, before it gets taken down, I just found this gem on Gilroy's wiki page
"Craig competed in the u17 pet Hamster acrobatic championships in Japan in 2007. Although he didn't win, Hiroshi Lakimota, tournament organiser admitted he showed great promise. He finished the pet hamster aerobics after suffering bullying from Noel Boreland and David Brown, both of whom are now serving jail sentences in Rathlin island."
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.
OSS
Beginner

Post by OSS »

Eristic wrote:He's scored two amazing tries in blue and put in eye catching performances at every level since school boy days.
never seen Gilroy cover a backfield as well as Larmour
Temporary Profile, locked out of permanent profile
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Larmours kicks seem to have a bit of welly. Not bad under the high ball too. Wrestled angry-face out of a ruck late in the 2nd half. All round impressive display. I was looking forward to the lad getting some Pro14 games this season but my word its hard not to get excited. I'd
like to see a lot more games in blue before any more Ireland talk. There is no need to rush the lad, plenty of good back 3 players in green atm.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Good point. But Gilroy was given a chance for Ireland in recent years, even scored a great solo try. But didn't get a look-in afterward (I think?), I assume the coaching team didn't see what they wanted in terms of defence. I think Larmour needs more top-14 and euro level games to test and hone his defence.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Very different cases. Gilroy doesn't tackle at all on his left side - a cardinal sin for St Joe.

Larmour's tackling, on both sides, is technically excellent and this was really in evident (? V Gloucester) in pre-season in St Marys where he was tested a couple of times by Twelvetrees and Trinder in particular in one-on-one contests.
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUSANCkoX5s

reminds me of this young guy; the new super rob!?