Ollie Campbell

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Ollie Campbell

Post by riocard911 »

A trip down memory lane with and an appraisal of the current state of rugby in general by one of the grand masters:

http://www.the42.ie/ollie-campbell-3702371-Nov2017/
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Ollie Campbell

Post by Oldschool »

riocard911 wrote:A trip down memory lane with and an appraisal of the current state of rugby in general by one of the grand masters:

http://www.the42.ie/ollie-campbell-3702371-Nov2017/
I was at that 1976 match.
Aussies were a weak squad on that tour.
Ireland were the only team they beat on that Autumn tour.
Mark Loane their no. 8 had a mom field day against us.
1979 and something for J'S to use as motivation fodder next summer.
Typical of the childish attitude of the selectors at the time but that match damaged a few players test careers.
The Aussies conveniently omitted to mention Ireland's series win in their Centenary Video - begrudging f^ckers that they are.
Be bitter Ireland.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
pangurban1
Bookworm

Post by pangurban1 »

Two good lads, Ollie a real gent.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

pangurban1 wrote:Two good lads, Ollie a real gent.
Indeed. I coached down at Belvo taking minis for 7 years and he was always down chatting to the kids, presenting awards, giving us tips. I've spoken to Wardy over the years too as we've worked together on a few things and he's also a gent, couldn't do enough for you. Arguably 2 of our top 3 outhalves of all time and both appeared at the same time!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

Flash Gordon wrote:
pangurban1 wrote:Two good lads, Ollie a real gent.
Indeed. I coached down at Belvo taking minis for 7 years and he was always down chatting to the kids, presenting awards, giving us tips. I've spoken to Wardy over the years too as we've worked together on a few things and he's also a gent, couldn't do enough for you. Arguably 2 of our top 3 outhalves of all time and both appeared at the same time!
Same time as Ian Burns too who despite only getting one cap for Ireland, mostly due to the two lads you've mentioned, was a fine out half too. Must've been something in the Dublin water round that time.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Paul Dean had to wait then.
Icarus
Knowledgeable

Post by Icarus »

As the legendary sports journalist, Con Houlihan, pointed out the names 'Ward and Campbell' were cursed to be forever linked like 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern'.
Last edited by Icarus on December 26th, 2017, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Icarus wrote:As the legendary sports journalist, Con Houlihan, pointed out the names 'Ward and Campbell' were cursed to be linked like 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern'.
Or Achilles and Hector.

Or Cúchulainn and Ferdia.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Except for they weren't lovers unlike the four heroes you mentioned.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

fourthirtythree wrote:Except for they weren't lovers unlike the four heroes you mentioned.
Touché!!!!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

In addition to Ollie, Wardy, Ian Burns (RIP) and Deano in Leinster in the 70s-80s you also had Mick Quinn and Darragh Coakley who all wore the blue of Leinster with distinction. The former was capped (most notably in SA in 1980).
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

fourthirtythree wrote:Except for they weren't lovers unlike the four heroes you mentioned.
Excuse me? I thought Cuchulainn and Ferdia were half brothers. Don't remember them being gay. Not surprised by the greeks though!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Achilles and Hector weren't lovers either. In the Trojan war, Achilles kills Hector in retribution for the latter slaying Patroclos, who WAS Achilles squeeze... :roll:

Anyway- what as that that again :? ? yeah- there were a lot of classy out-halves around in Leinster in the '70s.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"