Leinster full back, Ireland out half

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster full back, Ireland out half

Post by ronk »

We already did spread the wealth. We lost Madigan and Crosbie. Then last year when we were on our 2nd choice of our academy outhalves with no cover, we werent getting much love.

Ulster have particular and temporary needs, id understand something there but Byrne or Marsh would make more sense.

Munster have an international outhalf they lured from Connacht, a big name project player and a former U20 world player nominee who was also a marquee re-signing. If they cant do something with that lot they shouldnt be let anywhere near developing talents like Carbery or Byrne.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

MelbourneRebel wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
MelbourneRebel wrote:Irish rugby nearly lost Sexton to France because of how long Contepomi kept him out. He had a contract on the table which fortunately he did a 180 on, arranged by a former Irish international based in France who is a close family friend of his, and I am not sure how many people know how close we were to losing him.
I think we're all well aware of how close we were to losing him to France :lol:

But just in terms of the time you're referring to, I think FM104 actually announced that he had moved to Perpignan on a short term deal. And if I remember correctly, I said at the time that it was a good thing because he wasn't good enough for Leinster. Still not sure if he is.
No I am not talking about Perignan or the circumstances you describe are. None of what I describe was in the public domain at the time. Of course you can choose to believe that I am making this up if you wish but I suspect that many of the people here who know him know otherwise.
Although I did think you were referring to Perpignan, the first part of my post was a joke relating to his move to Racing...as in "yeah we know he was close to going to France, because he went to Racing!", wasn't doubting you.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

“I didn’t think too much of it, to be honest,” Carbery said of Eddie O’Sullivan’s recommendation that he should pack his bags and head to another province.
“The opinions that really count are in the environment. Leinster is the best environment to be learning in, behind Johnny and Rob [Kearney]. I’m learning as much as I can in Leinster as I would anywhere.”
Carbery is just happy to play, to be honest, and content to double job.
“What comes first is what’s best for Leinster,” he stresses, adamant that the eastern province is the best place for him.
“Me playing fullback when Rob’s been injured probably worked out best. I’m learning every day and a bit of competition [with Ross Byrne] makes it healthy for both of us, makes us both strive to get better and improve. We have kicking competitions here and there which also helps. Competition is great and that’s why it’s such a good environment at Leinster.
“It just depends where the team needs me. I like to split between the two but if Leinster need me at 15 for the next three or four years I am more than willing to do it.”
And Joe?
“His opinion is the one that really counts so if he is happy with how it is going then I’m happy.”
Carbery dismisses idea of leaving Leinster
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:
“I didn’t think too much of it, to be honest,” Carbery said of Eddie O’Sullivan’s recommendation that he should pack his bags and head to another province.
“The opinions that really count are in the environment. Leinster is the best environment to be learning in, behind Johnny and Rob [Kearney]. I’m learning as much as I can in Leinster as I would anywhere.”
“What comes first is what’s best for Leinster,” he stresses, adamant that the eastern province is the best place for him.
“Me playing fullback when Rob’s been injured probably worked out best. I’m learning every day and a bit of competition [with Ross Byrne] makes it healthy for both of us, makes us both strive to get better and improve. We have kicking competitions here and there which also helps. Competition is great and that’s why it’s such a good environment at Leinster.
“It just depends where the team needs me. I like to split between the two but if Leinster need me at 15 for the next three or four years I am more than willing to do it.”
And Joe?
“His opinion is the one that really counts so if he is happy with how it is going then I’m happy.”
I am shocked - SHOCKED - that he would go on the record with a statement like that :shock:
The kid is clearly not only a special rugby talent, he's also already got the PR side of the job nailed :wink:
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

curates_egg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
And Joe?
I am shocked - SHOCKED - that he would go on the record with a statement like that :shock:
The kid is clearly not only a special rugby talent, he's also already got the PR side of the job nailed :wink:

Carbery isn’t deterred, anyway. He is made of tougher stuff than his athletic and slight frame would suggest, characteristics no doubt ingrained in him from playing underage rugby in bare feet back in New Zealand during the first 11 years of his life.

His Kiwi upbringing may also have something to do with his willingness and ability to interchange between 10 and 15, and the realisation of clear synergy between the two positions. Carbery is just as comfortable as first receiver as he is under the high ball or being in the backline.
Thought this bit was ridiculously over the top (almost as bad as the Joe.ie piece on Stander yesterday). You'd swear he was the first slightly built player to be smashed in a tackle and get back up or the first player to ever be happy switching positions - why does it all have to be down to living in New Zealand for 11 years!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Let's just be happy that it wasn't 11 years in Turnipstan because otherwise we'd never hear the end of it.
1978 is a long, long, long, long etc etc time ago.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.