Leinster full back, Ireland out half

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster full back, Ireland out half

Post by paddyor »

mildlyinterested wrote:the biggest problem is that the other provinces haven't developed an outhalf to backup Sexton, so once again Leinster are called upon to do so.
No, the biggest problem is that the back-up to Sexton is on trial in January.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
I don't think Connacht could afford to pay Boshoff €200,000 per year and Madigan something similar. Plus Jack Carty is probably on too much money to be third choice.

That also assumes that the IRFU would throw Connacht a significant amount of money for Ireland's (at best) third choice outhalf, and this would absolutely not stretch the budget elsewhere.
The IRFU would be able and willing to reach a bit further for Madigan for the quadrouple benefit of strengthening Connacht, promoting players moving provinces, keeping an extra guy in the IRFU mix and having a known marketable player in Connacht.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If only there were someone in the IRFU's employ who could look at all those factors, see the benefits and sign the player. We could make him director of something, rugby or performance or elite player development - something along those lines.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:If only there were someone in the IRFU's employ who could look at all those factors, see the benefits and sign the player. We could make him director of something, rugby or performance or elite player development - something along those lines.
Connacht came out against signing him, so there wasn’t a lot that could have been done differently. He’s super expensive now anyway.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:If only there were someone in the IRFU's employ who could look at all those factors, see the benefits and sign the player. We could make him director of something, rugby or performance or elite player development - something along those lines.
Connacht came out against signing him, so there wasn’t a lot that could have been done differently. He’s super expensive now anyway.
Yes there was.

"Connacht, you're signing Ian Madigan"

He would have settled for a lower salary if there was a chance of a grey jersey I reckon
I have Bumbleflex
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

Irish rugby nearly lost Sexton to France because of how long Contepomi kept him out. He had a contract on the table which fortunately he did a 180 on, arranged by a former Irish international based in France who is a close family friend of his, and I am not sure how many people know how close we were to losing him.

Carbery is one of the most exciting prospects in the game and the vultures will be circling if they are not already. A move would make sense for him and for Irish rugby, it would be bad for Leinster. It's a tough scenario.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ronk wrote:
Yes there was.

He would have settled for a lower salary if there was a chance of a grey jersey I reckon
Come. On. You. Boys. In. Grey.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

There have been other examples of one province dominating a certain position for the national team. Ross, Moore and Furlong at TH with Leinster. McGrath and Healy on the loosehead side. Strauss and Cronin. Was there as much talk of a younger guy leaving?

They seem to forget that Munster have at least 3 recognised outhalves in their squad. jj, keatley and TB. It is their responsibility to stick with one and develop that player into a genuine challenger for Ireland.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

suisse wrote:There have been other examples of one province dominating a certain position for the national team. Ross, Moore and Furlong at TH with Leinster. McGrath and Healy on the loosehead side. Strauss and Cronin. Was there as much talk of a younger guy leaving?

They seem to forget that Munster have at least 3 recognised outhalves in their squad. jj, keatley and TB. It is their responsibility to stick with one and develop that player into a genuine challenger for Ireland.
Joe Schmidt could help his argument by releasing Carbery for Leinster matches during international windows on the proviso he starts at 10. Obviously he's injured at the moment and not available for selection but it's worth considering whether he would be better off starting 10 for Leinster against Dragons or coming on at 10 against Argentina. There are fixtures during the 6 Nations where Joe Schmidt could do this.

I'm only asking, by the way, I don't know which situation would be better for his development.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

MelbourneRebel wrote:Irish rugby nearly lost Sexton to France because of how long Contepomi kept him out. He had a contract on the table which fortunately he did a 180 on, arranged by a former Irish international based in France who is a close family friend of his, and I am not sure how many people know how close we were to losing him.
I think we're all well aware of how close we were to losing him to France :lol:

But just in terms of the time you're referring to, I think FM104 actually announced that he had moved to Perpignan on a short term deal. And if I remember correctly, I said at the time that it was a good thing because he wasn't good enough for Leinster. Still not sure if he is.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It should be pointed out that the story about Sexton going to USAP originated in the S*n so it was likely to be a) untrue and b) written by a c**t.
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

suisse wrote:There have been other examples of one province dominating a certain position for the national team. Ross, Moore and Furlong at TH with Leinster. McGrath and Healy on the loosehead side. Strauss and Cronin. Was there as much talk of a younger guy leaving?
Not sure I understand the point. All those players are/were getting decent game time in their actual positions.
Carbery is getting loads of gametime: the issue is that he plays one position for Leinster and another for Ireland.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

We're giving this grade A sh!t stirring way too much oxygen.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Bearing in mind this was all started by EOS let's call it it what it is. Click Bait.

If he really believes the Carbery needs to move than why has he never mentioned Munsters 3 out-halves blocking each other. He has mentioned before that Blyndall is an international level 10. JJH has played under 20 for Ireland and Keatly is an Irish International. So who needs to move to get game time there?

IMO he picked Joey out of thin air and ran with it. I did not see Against The Head but heard Off The Ball where he was not challenged at all. Joe/Ger (can't differentiate between them) just gave EOS a free run with his hair on fire getting his ducks in a row before the chickens came home.

If this logic is to be followed CJ Stander needs to move as POM is making him play out of position. Funny he never mentioned that one. Joey is flavor of the month/weekend so he ran with that.

Click Bait is what this is and it worked. He got a couple of hours work on Monday and his name in the papers on Tuesday.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ronk wrote:
Yes there was.

I believe he's on something like £500k, he might settle for a lower salary but would he half it? I'm assuming Connacht said no for budgetary reasons, any other reason would be just plain stupid.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

A new problem: Larmour should be getting gametime at 15!
Joey is blocking him now ;)
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ronk wrote:
Yes there was.

Would he? Also sad to say but a season of poor Top14 and a season of Championship are not the type of training/match conditions you want in lads signing to provinces hoping for international caps.
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
MelbourneRebel wrote:Irish rugby nearly lost Sexton to France because of how long Contepomi kept him out. He had a contract on the table which fortunately he did a 180 on, arranged by a former Irish international based in France who is a close family friend of his, and I am not sure how many people know how close we were to losing him.
I think we're all well aware of how close we were to losing him to France :lol:

But just in terms of the time you're referring to, I think FM104 actually announced that he had moved to Perpignan on a short term deal. And if I remember correctly, I said at the time that it was a good thing because he wasn't good enough for Leinster. Still not sure if he is.
No I am not talking about Perignan or the circumstances you describe are. None of what I describe was in the public domain at the time. Of course you can choose to believe that I am making this up if you wish but I suspect that many of the people here who know him know otherwise.
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

IanD wrote:Bearing in mind this was all started by EOS let's call it it what it is. Click Bait.

If he really believes the Carbery needs to move than why has he never mentioned Munsters 3 out-halves blocking each other. He has mentioned before that Blyndall is an international level 10. JJH has played under 20 for Ireland and Keatly is an Irish International. So who needs to move to get game time there?

IMO he picked Joey out of thin air and ran with it. I did not see Against The Head but heard Off The Ball where he was not challenged at all. Joe/Ger (can't differentiate between them) just gave EOS a free run with his hair on fire getting his ducks in a row before the chickens came home.

If this logic is to be followed CJ Stander needs to move as POM is making him play out of position. Funny he never mentioned that one. Joey is flavor of the month/weekend so he ran with that.

Click Bait is what this is and it worked. He got a couple of hours work on Monday and his name in the papers on Tuesday.
Munster have 3 out-halves but none are at the level that Joey is threatening to reach. Joey has the potential to be the best in the world. Of course maybe he will never get there but he clearly has a chance.

He will not fulfill that potential if the opening 3 months of the Pro 14 season are anything to go by.

Leinster will need to spread the wealth a bit. Perhaps Carbery shouldn't be going anywhere though.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Spread the wealth? The guy has just turned 22 and has got loads of game time, has had a great game at 10 for Ireland, beaten the All Blacks, got great experience at 15. What does Joey want out of all of this? Perhaps, like Jack Conan, he is happy to stay within the Leinster set up, bide his time, learn from the best, test himself, take his chances and flourish. Maybe Ross Byrne is too? Competition within the squad drives standards higher, hopefully to the point where they all win something. If Joey has the potential to be the best in the world he will break through as the undisputed starting 10. He was due to get game time but got injured. I have no doubt he will get game time when he is fit.