Treviso v Leinster Sat 3.30 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Treviso v Leinster Sat 3.30 TG4

Post by wixfjord »

We could be seriously locked and loaded for the weekend if the guys who need game time get it. Think a fair few guys could do with a run out. Ringrose and VDF supposed to be back, and hopefully JLowe comes in.

Something like:
McGrath, Tracy, Bent, Fardy, Nagle, Leavy, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Byrne, Isa
Dooley/Byrne, Cronin, Porter, Whatever second row is uninjured, Deegan, JGP, Marsh, DK
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Treviso v Leinster Sat 3.30 TG4

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Nagle was good on Friday actually, impressive after a long lay off and an early substitution.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Henshaw and James Ryan ruled out

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Nagle was good on Friday actually, impressive after a long lay off and an early substitution.
Did Nagle come off injured or was it tactical I wonder? I don't think they anticipated having him come on so early and he hasn't played any rugby in months.

He took his restarts and lineouts very well.

I think we will be at full tilt bar the enforced absentees due to minutes.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Is Isa injured? He seemed to be wincing when he scored his second try and came off soon after.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Where have Henshaw and James Ryan been ruled? Haven't seen any injury update today?

I agree Nagle was good on Fri. If he stays fit he could be a handy player for us at times. Am sure he's on pittance, and would have him ahead of Kearney and Molony for some games.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote:Where have Henshaw and James Ryan been ruled? Haven't seen any injury update today?

I agree Nagle was good on Fri. If he stays fit he could be a handy player for us at times. Am sure he's on pittance, and would have him ahead of Kearney and Molony for some games.
there was a press conference earlier but all I've seen reported from it is that Ringrose and van der Flier are expected to line out for this game

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 56502.html
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Heard it on the wireless this evening that Ryan and Henshaw are out.
Ryan has an ominous sounding shoulder injury.
Dev should be ok though, right?
VdF is supposed to be back - is Leavy?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Nagle was good on Friday actually, impressive after a long lay off and an early substitution.
Watched him quite closely on Friday and on tape. Impressive in line-out and scrum and reasonable in getting to breakdowns. But, as with his tackling, he doesn't hit anything low enough - tackles, rucks or mauls. Contrast him v Henderson on Sat for body position. This is technique not talent and he can be improved, even at his age. He's doing the harder stuff in getting there.

Nagle has had a lot of cameos in his career. Given the players around him, he could now step into a high quality understudy role, alongside Fardy, and contribute vitally to Leinster's quest for silverware whilst Toner and Ryan have to divide their efforts between Blue and Green.

He was blowing fairly hard by the time he departed on Friday but hopefully it was fitness rather than injury which hastened his departure.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

curates_egg wrote:Heard it on the wireless this evening that Ryan and Henshaw are out.
Sadly the signs are already the that Ryan is going to have an injury ravaged career.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

What nonsense
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

He does appear to made of chocolate tbh.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

COYBIB wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Heard it on the wireless this evening that Ryan and Henshaw are out.
Sadly the signs are already the that Ryan is going to have an injury ravaged career.
The powers that be know best. But he seems to be very young to be thrown-in regularly at the highest level in a very physically attritional position. Henderson would seem to be the most similar comparison: he was eased-in with sub appearances and time at 6, as well as in the Pro12. Different approach with Ryan: let's hope it works.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:What nonsense
What part of what he said is nonsense?
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

I'm going to guess at:

McGrath Cronin Bent
Nagle Fardy
Ruddock Conan VDF

McGrath Byrne
Nacewa Ringrose
Lowe Larmour Byrne

Tracy, Byrne, Porter, Josh Murphy, Jordi, JGP, Marsh, ROL

Fogs was talking about how hard Cronin has been working the last couple of weeks so I think they're going to back him this week. Ruddock and Conan got relatively little game time over the last few weeks (Rhys will be at 107 min over 5 weeks) so both should be more than able to come back in. No idea what the update is on Leavy though. I think we should be leaving Larmour in the starting side for this one too, and with Henshaw out we need to make sure we're blooding a partnership that might actually play together against Exeter. So Isa goes to 12. It's a pretty exciting back 3 and if Ringrose can hit the ground running it could be a very dangerous back line. And there should be more than enough in that pack to provide a platform.

We're short on fit locks at the moment. Dev might come back onto the bench given the fact that he only benched against Argentina, but I'm not sure about that. Rhys might end up benching to cover the row but I'd like to see him start. And I think ROL offers enough cover from the bench generally, plus he might be needed to replace Ringrose anyway given Garys lack of match fitness.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

COYBIB wrote:
Fogarty was speaking about him, something along the lines of him needing to adjust his positioning in collisions as he is coming up against more players his own size and he's been used to running over people all his life. It's been a steep learning curve which may be the reason for some of the knocks.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

molloyjh wrote:I'm going to guess at:

McGrath Cronin Bent
Nagle Fardy
Ruddock Conan VDF

McGrath Byrne
Nacewa Ringrose
Lowe Larmour Byrne

Fogs was talking about how hard Cronin has been working the last couple of weeks so I think they're going to back him this week. Ruddock and Conan got relatively little game time over the last few weeks (Rhys will be at 107 min over 5 weeks) so both should be more than able to come back in. No idea what the update is on Leavy though. I think we should be leaving Larmour in the starting side for this one too, and with Henshaw out we need to make sure we're blooding a partnership that might actually play together against Exeter. So Isa goes to 12. It's a pretty exciting back 3 and if Ringrose can hit the ground running it could be a very dangerous back line. And there should be more than enough in that pack to provide a platform.

We're short on fit locks at the moment. Dev might come back onto the bench given the fact that he only benched against Argentina, but I'm not sure about that. Rhys might end up benching to cover the row but I'd like to see him start. And I think ROL offers enough cover from the bench generally, plus he might be needed to replace Ringrose anyway given Garys lack of match fitness.
Injury update says it's "two weeks too soon for VDF" but that Leavy will be back in the mix. I'd have Dooley over Byrne and we seem to pick Reid over ROL as the 23.

No word on Barry Daly that I have seen. Such a pity for him to hit a speed bump. If Lowe hits the ground running, with Larmour seemingly already a comfortable pro, it will be a real battle for Daly, particularly once Hen-Rose are both fit and Isa is not needed at 12. You'd like to think Byrne has learned something from Schmidt and Farrell over the past few weeks too. I actually didn't see the Ireland game (had to pick one to watch and picked us of course), so don't know how he went...not much about him in the match reports.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:
molloyjh wrote:I'm going to guess at:

McGrath Cronin Bent
Nagle Fardy
Ruddock Conan VDF

McGrath Byrne
Nacewa Ringrose
Lowe Larmour Byrne

Injury update says it's "two weeks too soon for VDF" but that Leavy will be back in the mix. I'd have Dooley over Byrne and we seem to pick Reid over ROL as the 23.

No word on Barry Daly that I have seen. Such a pity for him to hit a speed bump. If Lowe hits the ground running, with Larmour seemingly already a comfortable pro, it will be a real battle for Daly, particularly once Hen-Rose are both fit and Isa is not needed at 12. You'd like to think Byrne has learned something from Schmidt and Farrell over the past few weeks too. I actually didn't see the Ireland game (had to pick one to watch and picked us of course), so don't know how he went...not much about him in the match reports.
Byrne went as well as he could have. Didn't see much ball so didn't get to show his strengths, but on the flip side he didn't miss any tackles (was actually pretty solid there) and he ended up shifting into 13 when Farrell went off injured. He was a bit unsure positionally a few times and needed some guidance, but he made no noticeable errors. A decent debut overall without really standing out. I think his ability to move inside to 13 will stand to him.

I only have ROL at 23 as Ringrose might not last the 80. Disappointed for Josh to be a few weeks away bit if Leavy is fit then it's a straight swap.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Based on that I would go with Ruddock, SOB and Conan next week.
I would keep SOB out of this week.
It is straight battle between Leavy and Jor Murphy for that bench spot next week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd like to see Isa and Ringrose in the centre for this one. I watched the Exeter game on Sunday and they have a strange kind of attack whereby Steenson stands deep and then his midfield is even deeper and stays quite wide. When the execution was good it created space around the 13 channel very quickly. Henshaw and Ringrose are such good defenders and so quick off the line that they could cause them havoc behind the gainline so I'd start practising that this weekend, with Isa filling in in case Henshaw doesn't make it (unlikely) and because I think he's too slow and too eager to kick the ball away to play in the back three next week.

This should be a good game, I like the way Treviso play and if we're cohesive then Ringrose, Larmour, and Lowe should be great to watch...that's assuming they all play of course.