Treviso v Leinster Sat 3.30 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Re: Treviso v Leinster Sat 3.30 TG4

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Oldschool wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Admittedly it’s still early days, but I’d venture that in Fardy and Lowe we seem to have the best NIQ pair of new signings in a long time. Real quality and real leadership from both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fardy definitely and obviously Lowe is in "one swallow etc" just now.
However does the fact that Leinster have got their mojo back make it easier to recruit a better quality of NIQ?
Think style of play is important. You might attract players like Lowe and Fardy with money alone, but the fact that the style really suits their game makes more sense for them when they’d have a few options. Fardy is just a great signing. Attitude, experience, maturity, highly mobile for a lock, but good at breakdown and lineout. The better French teams, Saracens and Exeter will present a challenge in that they are weightier, but the high pace game, which he contributes to is a joy to watch.

Lowe is a smashing player, but I’ve seen him look average in teams who play conservative. In the Leinster of a few years ago, it’s be a waste of his time having him in the team. You’d be foolish in my opinion to think signings alone would make the change in that scenario. When you go out and try stuff though, as the chiefs generally do, his skill level is phenomenal. But that needs players of like mind, ambition and ability to bring the best out in him and vice versa. I think McKenzie will miss him in super rugby. Together then were dynamite.

It should be noted you could sign players of higher reputation, don’t forget neither of these 2 fellas were getting chosen internationally. But you have to give credit to the scouting work done. Don’t want to use the word culture, and I appreciate its early days, one swallow as you say, but they were picked for specific reasons to suit this team and the way it wants to play - and i think they do.

The argument that maybe someone who adds weight and is exclusively a second row, would suit the latter stages of Europe better has been made to me. And maybe that’s true. But maybe not. I think it’d need a hell of a heavy player to match the other things Fardy brings to the team, that a lesser mobile player couldn’t. The latter stages of Europe are usually played in good weather on good pitches, so I think it’s a good decision to go this way, but in the short term Exeter in the next game will be a very tough one.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Jeez lads , steady on... with Daves Kleenex and Oldschools Swollowing... im not sure if I stumbled onto a site I shouldnt have .. :shock:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Socks at the ready..highlights up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1OLPrtvZFs
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

the spoofer wrote:Lads, Lowe was brilliant but Fardy was magnificent. He was mom by a street.
He was very good. Best forward signing since Hines and Thorne.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

artaneboy wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Lads, Lowe was brilliant but Fardy was magnificent. He was mom by a street.

Have we all forgotten Triggs so quickly?
Class act.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Any highlights of the match available?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

blockhead wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

Have we all forgotten Triggs so quickly?
Class act.
I really admired Triggs as a player and liked him as a person, but I think Fardy brings something else; something we haven’t had in a long while in an NIQ forward. He has that inherent confidence and desire to be a forthright leader- in both voice and example, as well as being a top class player in his position- be that second row or, at a pinch, back row. That’s really valuable.

Last edited by artaneboy on December 3rd, 2017, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote: Fardy definitely and obviously Lowe is in "one swallow etc" just now.
However does the fact that Leinster have got their mojo back make it easier to recruit a better quality of NIQ?
Maybe having Lancaster on the coaching ticket helps too.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Peg Leg
sunshiner1 wrote:
Didn't get to see the game because of work. Did Abdaladze get on? If so how did he play?

He demolished their scrum in the last 10mins about 7m from our line
Hell Yeah! :happy clapper: Another asset coming through the conveyor belt!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Did anyone think Reid was a little leaden footed and indecisive ?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

desperado wrote:Did anyone think Reid was a little leaden footed and indecisive ?
Most definitely, he was quite poor and that's disappointing after a number of decent performances.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

desperado wrote:Did anyone think Reid was a little leaden footed and indecisive ?
I haven't rewatched it but I thought that Treviso were generally effective at pushing up with their wide defence and cutting off the options. Reid clearly wanted to move it wide but when it was obvious he couldn't he seemed slow at coming up with a second plan. At least he didn't throw any intercept passes.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:
I haven't rewatched it but I thought that Treviso were generally effective at pushing up with their wide defence and cutting off the options. Reid clearly wanted to move it wide but when it was obvious he couldn't he seemed slow at coming up with a second plan. At least he didn't throw any intercept passes.
This, plus the others didn't react to what he was doing and you could see him giving out to them when they didn't hold their depth. Thought his plan B usually worked out well and that he did pass well when the opportunity was there.
OSS
Beginner

Post by OSS »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
cormac wrote:
This, plus the others didn't react to what he was doing and you could see him giving out to them when they didn't hold their depth. Thought his plan B usually worked out well and that he did pass well when the opportunity was there.
yeah - i thought he looked frustrated at times tbh - the others just weren't on the same wavelength as him.
Temporary Profile, locked out of permanent profile
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
cormac wrote:
+1.
When he was in 'trapdoor' position, others were too flat to him but he didn't throw forward passes or intercepts. Maybe a grubber was an option but it's difficult to execute in an instant. He didn't look comfortable with Gary alongside and that maybe a work in progress.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Lowe, Lowe, Lowe
He's maaagic, you knowwwww
Never believe, it's not Lowwee
He's maaaagic, you knowwww
Never believe, it's not Lowee
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

All you need is Lowe
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Rugby 08 -> Howling Bells -> Low Happening

It's a Lowe, Lowe, Lowe, Lowe Happening
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I am as excited at the prospect of James Lowe shining for Leinster as the next bloke but can we get some perspective here? Lowe has played one match for Leinster and we are already having a competition for the best song for him. I don't object to songs for players but can we get some for the players who have been stalwarts all their careers before eulogising recent arrivals?
Four Stars
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Lar wrote:I am as excited at the prospect of James Lowe shining for Leinster as the next bloke but can we get some perspective here? Lowe has played one match for Leinster and we are already having a competition for the best song for him. I don't object to songs for players but can we get some for the players who have been stalwarts all their careers before eulogising recent arrivals?
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm just celebrating getting someone in whose name is easy to work with. :lol: