James Ryan

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

James Ryan

Post by mildlyinterested »

James Ryan to miss first exeter game with ac joint sprain but expected to be available for home game - Des Berry.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: James Ryan

Post by offshorerules »

Shame.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

The inevitable “a week too soon”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

From the same piece:
This term, Ryan has been inconvenienced by shoulder (2 weeks), foot (4 weeks) and concussion (2 weeks) issues which have prevented him from building up his match fitness.
Worrying. Hopefully he can get a good run over Xmas.

We might see Ian Nagle benching for the first Ex game.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:From the same piece:
This term, Ryan has been inconvenienced by shoulder (2 weeks), foot (4 weeks) and concussion (2 weeks) issues which have prevented him from building up his match fitness.
Worrying. Hopefully he can get a good run over Xmas.

We might see Ian Nagle benching for the first Ex game.
"Might"? If there's an injury, we might see him starting!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Ryan is tipped to start in Paris.

He is a precocious talent and Leinster seem to be handling with care: managing his time on the pitch.

Ireland, on the other hand...
The guy has been injured 4(?) times already this season and is 21.
You would think the lessons had been learned from breaking kids previously.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

don't see how they are being reckless with him..

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:don't see how they are being reckless with him..
Yes. That has been your position on multiple threads and discussions.
You also repeatedly deny the injuries he is reported as having picked up.

Posting a photo of him smiling after his last game with us doesn't change that context either though.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

curates_egg wrote:

Posting a photo of him smiling after his last game with us doesn't change that context either though.
dont see where I have denied he hasn't picked up minor injuries, he has.. leinster started him away in france in his last game, don't see the problem with Ireland doing the same too..
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

curates_egg wrote:

You're naive to think he is being picked without proper diligence to his well being.

The data and resources Joe has access to far outweigh the opinion of a randomer who thinks he gets injured a bit too often.

If Ryan is tipped to start, it means his numbers are reading what they should be.

No need for hysteria
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

You're naive to think he is being picked without proper diligence to his well being.

The data and resources Joe has access to far outweigh the opinion of a randomer who thinks he gets injured a bit too often.

If Ryan is tipped to start, it means his numbers are reading what they should be.

No need for hysteria
+1. Joe let Donncha Ryan go to France, 'cos he intends bringing James Ryan to the RWC in Japan next year. With Ryan the Younger playing such a large part in Joe's plans, I can hardly imagine he's going to risk crocking the dude willy-nilly.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

No need for hysteria

Plus another :clap:
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Can't see how he doesn't start against Saracens..
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote:Can't see how he doesn't start against Saracens..
I can. It'll be instructive to see which pairing Schmidt goes for this weekend - if he goes for Toner plus one, who that plus one is or if he goes for Ryan and Henderson. For Leinster, Fardy will start and its a matter of who plays alongside him - and also who will offer more off the bench.

Saracens play a highly structured game, they are the Ireland of club rugby and play in a very similar way. Strong set piece, extremely efficient at the breakdown, emphasis on doing simple things well and at pace, strong kicking game based around 'competeble' kicks, they use the kick pass more than any other English team. The coaches may well decide that Toner's lineout gives us an edge.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I’d be starting Fardy and Toner. No doubt. Particularly with our back row likely lacking Ruddock. Ryan adds much more from the bench too.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

I expect Ryan to start on Saturday at Twickenham with either Toner or Henderson as a reward for his accuracy & graft in carrying, tackling, line out, scrum in fact the lot. Were he to outshine Itoje not an easy thing to do I know it would be very difficult for him not to be first choice for Leinster against Saracens. Of the current Ireland c. 21 year olds Stockdale has been fantastic in attack if not yet fully tested in defence and Porter very impressive in his switch from loose to tight head but Ryan is the one who is a constant physical presence with great technique and no obvious weaknesses. I can't remember 3 players this young impacting so quickly in same Ireland team.

Hopefully Ryan, Fardy & Toner are all fit for Saracens and we will need a big contribution from all 3 to add to our front & back row strength. Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Fardy, Ryan, O'Brien, Leavy & Conan with McGrath, Tracy, Porter, Toner & Jordi on bench & we could have reasonable grounds for optimism.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Yep.Hard to see Ryan getting dropped at this stage. Very impressive.
Although, Englands lineout is very good and Toner is not exactly an impact player off the bench.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

blockhead wrote:Yep.Hard to see Ryan getting dropped at this stage. Very impressive.
Although, Englands lineout is very good and Toner is not exactly an impact player off the bench.
I would love to know what Joe expects from each replacement and it might not be what we all think in terms of impact eg. McFadden very effective off bench v France in going into contact & recycling & similarly Toner in same game off bench carrying, driving & set pieces. It might be to provide consistent ball to allow the likes of Earls, Ringrose, back row powerplays have better territory & even space.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

matt wrote:
blockhead wrote:Yep.Hard to see Ryan getting dropped at this stage. Very impressive.
I would love to know what Joe expects from each replacement and it might not be what we all think in terms of impact eg. McFadden very effective off bench v France in going into contact & recycling & similarly Toner in same game off bench carrying, driving & set pieces. It might be to provide consistent ball to allow the likes of Earls, Ringrose, back row powerplays have better territory & even space.
That's an interesting question.
The longer a player is in Joe's squad you'd imagine he expects more flexibility or variety or just more from them when coming off the bench.
Toner for example is very effective when he comes off the bench. McFadden usually is as well.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I saw a comment from somewhere that James Ryan has never lost a professional game of rugby. Is that true? Regardless, what an achievement today from the young man. Prediction: James Ryan & Itoje will be the starting test lions vs South Africa.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”