Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: Exeter Chiefs v Leinster Sunday 5.30 BT

Post by CiaranIrl »

Oldschool wrote:Any injury updates?
Sexton?
Ruddock?
Ruddock did his hamstring, so he's definitely out. Unknown how long, but the new year some time anyway.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Gutting for Rhys, every time he hits a run of form and breaks into the Ireland squad he's scuppered by injury.

Cronin's close in carrying was great yesterday, I wonder if that was something that Joe wanted from him? It wouldn't have made sense for him to hang out on the wing but it was just so different to how he usually plays that I feel like it was more than just the gameplan. Pity Tracy's darts were poor, that and a few poor kicks from Luke and the back three were the only real negatives though.

I don't mean this as a criticism of the back three because they did a good job overall, but obviously they didn't offer much in attack and it's a bit mad that we could potentially replace them all with Adam Byrne, Carbery, Lowe, and Larmour in the knockout games. Obviously it won't happen en masse unless there are injuries but to be able to transform our attack like that is great.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

I'd say Baxter wasn't best pleased with the wing waving to the crowd and doing a silly dive for their try when he should have concentrated on getting as close as possible to the posts. I thought that Stenson's missed conversion was important in deflating the momentum following upon the try.

Fair dues to Isa for landing those two kicks with little time to prepare.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

So for Saturday, the pack is straightforward. VDF at 7, O'Brien at 6, and Leavy (if fit) or Deegan to the bench.

Harder to say for the backline. Ringrose seemed rusty, so I reckon there's an argument for Isa 12, Henshaw 13, with Larmour or Byrne to come in on the wing. McFadden was excellent, so hard to drop even if he intended to pick a more attacking backline.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think Exeter might revisit their policy of not competing at rucks
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder if Jack McGrath did enough to start? Thought he looked far more like his usual self and I'd back him to deliver if he did. After such an energy sapping game I'd be eager to make a change like that where possible. Tracy would be another. I'd say we're wrecked after yesterday but Exeter must be exhausted, big ask for them to go again this weekend.

Isa just doesn't look like a winger to me anymore and I'd probably leave him out entirely but I know that won't happen.

It'll be interesting to see if Jordi makes it back in or if he'll lose out now that he's moving. He could be behind Leavy anyway but I don't just mean for this game, I wonder if he'll be moved down the pecking order.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

CiaranIrl wrote:So for Saturday, the pack is straightforward. VDF at 7, O'Brien at 6, and Leavy (if fit) or Deegan to the bench.

Harder to say for the backline. Ringrose seemed rusty, so I reckon there's an argument for Isa 12, Henshaw 13, with Larmour or Byrne to come in on the wing. McFadden was excellent, so hard to drop even if he intended to pick a more attacking backline.
Murphy hasn't left yet.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Fair play to Nacewa stepping up for those kicks. However I hope Ringrose is still practicing his kicking, I can't get the touchline conversion on the summer tour out my head. His technique looks excellent.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

cormac wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:So for Saturday, the pack is straightforward. VDF at 7, O'Brien at 6, and Leavy (if fit) or Deegan to the bench.

Murphy hasn't left yet.
Was just thinking the same thing ha. Surely will go straight into the 20 shirt
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if Jack McGrath did enough to start? Thought he looked far more like his usual self and I'd back him to deliver if he did. After such an energy sapping game I'd be eager to make a change like that where possible. Tracy would be another. I'd say we're wrecked after yesterday but Exeter must be exhausted, big ask for them to go again this weekend.

Isa just doesn't look like a winger to me anymore and I'd probably leave him out entirely but I know that won't happen.

It'll be interesting to see if Jordi makes it back in or if he'll lose out now that he's moving. He could be behind Leavy anyway but I don't just mean for this game, I wonder if he'll be moved down the pecking order.
Francis did seem to have Healy's number and we do need to make what unobtrusive changes we can
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Just having a rewatch, Ringrose was definitely at fault for their try. Didn't trust SOB and bit in leaving Isa with an impossible scenario. Sorry for doubting you Isa.

I would also be looking to bring in fresh guys in positions that we can afford a bit of rotation. Wouldn't have a problem with Tracy and McGrath starting, and of course VDF will likely come in too.

Ruddock will be a big, big loss though in such a tight game.

I wonder might we look to play Fardy at 6? In theory, IRFU should have no issue because we'll bringing in an IQ second row to play anyway, and it's just for one game. Can't see it happening though!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
cormac wrote:

Murphy hasn't left yet.
Was just thinking the Sameer thing ha. Surely will go straight into the 20 shirt
Yeah, maybe. Ahead of Deegan, ok, but there's so little between these guys that I'd go for the lads who aren't leaving at the end of the year personally.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Yeah, maybe. Ahead of Deegan, ok, but there's so little between these guys that I'd go for the lads who aren't leaving at the end of the year personally.
Ah there's not 'little' between Jordi and Deegan, for a variety of reasons.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

DP
Last edited by Oldschool on December 11th, 2017, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Think Murphy could start at 6 tbh.
There's no way would Jocifora want Murphy being given 'special' treatment.
They are trying to encourage players to move between the provinces, the last thing they want to see is a player being penalised for doing so.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Oldschool

Think Murphy could start at 6 tbh.
They are trying to encourage players to move between the provinces, the last thing they want to see is a player being penalised for doing so.
Agreed. For me it has to be Murphy at 6 with VDF or Leavy getting the 20 shirt. I think we should change some guys around just to freshen us up after such an arm wrestle.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Oldschool wrote:Think Murphy could start at 6 tbh.
Balls to Joe and Dave, Murphy should be involved because it's best for Leinster.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

From the Guardian (not their normal sour grapes):
"The Chiefs were also spared in contentious circumstances when Devin Toner, just one vowel short of having the perfect first name for this venue, was denied a try despite the French TMO, Eric Gonthier, suggesting he would have awarded it."
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

I was impressed how they didn't let the disappointments of the ref/TMO get to them. Thought it would have been a penalty try for the 3rd penalty at the scrum, also Isa was high tackled on the way to Sexton's try but there was no penalty. The experience and composure was a credit to them that they just stuck at it and took their scores.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

molloyjh wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Think Murphy could start at 6 tbh.
Balls to Joe and Dave, Murphy should be involved because it's best for Leinster.
And so it is.