Jordi packing his bags

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Jordi packing his bags

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:Going to be a bit weird to see Jordi lining out in Ulster's white next season. Part of me thought that with Heaslip's retirement and the ridiculous coaching changeovers at Ravenhill all taking place after he announced the move, that he'd be able to [legitimately] back out of it. Only really struck me the other day that there's a pretty good chance we won't see him in blue again.
I found myself thinking the same during all the trophy celebrations, everyone seems to love him and he seems to really love Leinster too. Never met him myself but have seen him be really generous to staff and fans and just always comes across as being really polite and humble, a big loss both on and off the pitch.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
hugonaut wrote:Going to be a bit weird to see Jordi lining out in Ulster's white next season. Part of me thought that with Heaslip's retirement and the ridiculous coaching changeovers at Ravenhill all taking place after he announced the move, that he'd be able to [legitimately] back out of it. Only really struck me the other day that there's a pretty good chance we won't see him in blue again.
I found myself thinking the same during all the trophy celebrations, everyone seems to love him and he seems to really love Leinster too. Never met him myself but have seen him be really generous to staff and fans and just always comes across as being really polite and humble, a big loss both on and off the pitch.
Himself and JDVF appear to be good mates. There will be some craic when they are knocking lumps out of each other.

On a separate point. It must be a pain in the arse for coaches that their set plays, lineout calls etc will need to be reset for games against Munster and Ulster with players bringing direct information with them.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Yeah, he's a quintessential Leinster player in many ways - the captain of a Blackrock Senior Cup-winning team, captain of Irish U19s and U20s, 100+ caps for Leinster etc. Going to be odd seeing him tog out for Ulster.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

the spoofer wrote:Will it be a constant that we produce players from our excellent academy that are then shifted on to our competitors?
Possibly. If they fulfil two criteria - being a favourite of Schmidt and not being first-choice for Leinster
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Will it be a constant that we produce players from our excellent academy that are then shifted on to our competitors?
Possibly. If they fulfil two criteria - being a favourite of Schmidt and not being first-choice for Leinster
As Molloy wrote earlier, there's a big difference between the Carberry situation and Jordi's situation. Jordi made his mind up under difficult circumstances when it looked like he would be squeezed out of getting regular games for Leinster – SOB, Rhys, JVDF, Leavy, Conan were all ahead of him at the time and Jamie looked like he would be returning.

Jordi only played 16 minutes of 320 in our first four European games. Then SOB and Rhys picked up serious injuries in mid-December, JVDF picked up a season-ender in February and JH retired the same month - 4 of the 6 guys ahead of him missed most/all of the second half of the season.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:
seems like it, which is why i enjoyed every second of last season as it is unrealistic to expect leinster to do similar again when the province is expected to prop up the other provinces with players as well as provide the bulk to the national team squad and still have the depth and talent to compete in the league and cup.
Agreed. It was an incredible season and really worth looking back on over the summer. So many highlights! From Fardy's non-stop excellence since the day he arrived, to Barry Daly scoring 13 tries [in 17 games, and just 13 starts], to Robbie Henshaw's incredible competitiveness in the first Montpellier game, to James Lowe tearing everything up on debut [and for the rest of the season], to Larmour's amazing interpro tries, to Leavy and James Ryan becoming top three players in their positions in the world in the space of a single season, to Ross Byrne emerging as a European Cup quality out-half, to Cian Healy coming back to top form when he looked like he might be fading out, to Tadhg Furlong becoming the undisputed best tighthead in the world, to Dev's best ever season, to Porter's successful switcheroo to tighthead, to Ferg's resurgence, to Rob Kearney burying the doubters with even more medals, to Sexton's winning record and domination of all competitions ... some year.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

hugonaut wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
seems like it, which is why i enjoyed every second of last season as it is unrealistic to expect leinster to do similar again when the province is expected to prop up the other provinces with players as well as provide the bulk to the national team squad and still have the depth and talent to compete in the league and cup.
Agreed. It was an incredible season and really worth looking back on over the summer. So many highlights! From Fardy's non-stop excellence since the day he arrived, to Barry Daly scoring 13 tries [in 17 games, and just 13 starts], to Robbie Henshaw's incredible competitiveness in the first Montpellier game, to James Lowe tearing everything up on debut [and for the rest of the season], to Larmour's amazing interpro tries, to Leavy and James Ryan becoming top three players in their positions in the world in the space of a single season, to Ross Byrne emerging as a European Cup quality out-half, to Cian Healy coming back to top form when he looked like he might be fading out, to Tadhg Furlong becoming the undisputed best tighthead in the world, to Dev's best ever season, to Porter's successful switcheroo to tighthead, to Ferg's resurgence, to Rob Kearney burying the doubters with even more medals, to Sexton's winning record and domination of all competitions ... some year.
Unbelievable. Am still enjoying the high!!!!!!!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
As Molloy wrote earlier, there's a big difference between the Carberry situation and Jordi's situation. Jordi made his mind up under difficult circumstances when it looked like he would be squeezed out of getting regular games for Leinster – SOB, Rhys, JVDF, Leavy, Conan were all ahead of him at the time and Jamie looked like he would be returning.

Jordi only played 16 minutes of 320 in our first four European games. Then SOB and Rhys picked up serious injuries in mid-December, JVDF picked up a season-ender in February and JH retired the same month - 4 of the 6 guys ahead of him missed most/all of the second half of the season.
Oh sure, but I can easily imagine Schmidt having a word in Murphy's ear and indicating that he felt a move to Ulster might be a good option. But, yeah, looks like a lot less cajoling from Schmidt, and more willingness from the player than in the Carbery case
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Pics on Facebook of him at the open session for Ulster yesterday.

Looks bizarre to see him in Ulster kit
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Pics on Facebook of him at the open session for Ulster yesterday.

Not as odd as Noel Reed in Japan with Dan Carter
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

TerenureJim wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:Pics on Facebook of him at the open session for Ulster yesterday.

Not as odd as Noel Reed in Japan with Dan Carter
Wait, hold on a sec - what is this and what did I miss??