Contracts

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

Re: Contracts

Post by outcast eddie »

mildlyinterested wrote:There was some talk online that Byrne was heading north at the end of the season fwiw.
Think I'd rather keep Ross Byrne than Joey at this stage.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

outcast eddie wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:There was some talk online that Byrne was heading north at the end of the season fwiw.
Come on Eddie.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I would like to see us find a way to keep them all as JS is 32 and we have to plan for after he is gone.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Fireworks wrote:I would like to see us find a way to keep them all as JS is 32 and we have to plan for after he is gone.
I'm sure that is the aim of leinster, will they be able to make it happen?
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

outcast eddie wrote:
Keep them both i say - let the Nordies haul Steensen back.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

tingman wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:
Keep them both i say - let the Nordies haul Steensen back.
He just signed a 2 year contract extension with Exeter. He'd be mad to leave them anyway.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Jordi's move to Ulster sets a newish precedent. Our better players are moving on looking for less crowded squads in order to increase their chances of international caps. Jordi is not the worst player in his position (all of them) and has a good chance of making matchday team sheets when fit yet he has chosen to move on. In previous seasons it was the lowest ranked players who tended to move on. In this light will we see Barry Daly or Adam Byrne (I haven't checked contract durations I'm just saying) look for new set ups rather than Dave Kearney? They will receive more tempting offers afterall.
My point, in a roundabout way, is that Joey will see far more gametime, in one position, with Ulster and is more likely to develop better as a player than he will with Leinster where Ross Byrne is exactly as good as we need him to be and is a perfect fit in our squad. I concede that the passage of time will see this arrangement change but will players like Joey wait?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Also rumousr doing the rounds that
1)Jackson and Olding are getting P45s irrespective of the outcome of the trial
b)They want out of Belfast if they're found innocent
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

outcast eddie wrote:Jordi's move to Ulster sets a newish precedent. Our better players are moving on looking for less crowded squads in order to increase their chances of international caps. Jordi is not the worst player in his position (all of them) and has a good chance of making matchday team sheets when fit yet he has chosen to move on. In previous seasons it was the lowest ranked players who tended to move on. In this light will we see Barry Daly or Adam Byrne (I haven't checked contract durations I'm just saying) look for new set ups rather than Dave Kearney? They will receive more tempting offers afterall.
My point, in a roundabout way, is that Joey will see far more gametime, in one position, with Ulster and is more likely to develop better as a player than he will with Leinster where Ross Byrne is exactly as good as we need him to be and is a perfect fit in our squad. I concede that the passage of time will see this arrangement change but will players like Joey wait?
Joey has already said he is going nowhere as Leinster is his province and where he wants to be. He knows he is no 2 in Ireland behind Sexton who is 33 in July and the experience of playing fullback & other positions did not do Beauden Barrett any harm early in his career in fact it made him a more complete player. He is also remediating his one weakness for a no 10 goalkicking with Mervyn Murphy & others and when he gets this right which I think he will he could end up one of the best 10s in world rugby.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

matt wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:Jordi's move to Ulster sets a newish precedent. Our better players are moving on looking for less crowded squads in order to increase their chances of international caps. Jordi is not the worst player in his position (all of them) and has a good chance of making matchday team sheets when fit yet he has chosen to move on. In previous seasons it was the lowest ranked players who tended to move on. In this light will we see Barry Daly or Adam Byrne (I haven't checked contract durations I'm just saying) look for new set ups rather than Dave Kearney? They will receive more tempting offers afterall.
Joey has already said he is going nowhere as Leinster is his province and where he wants to be. He knows he is no 2 in Ireland behind Sexton who is 33 in July and the experience of playing fullback & other positions did not do Beauden Barrett any harm early in his career in fact it made him a more complete player. He is also remediating his one weakness for a no 10 goalkicking with Mervyn Murphy & others and when he gets this right which I think he will he could end up one of the best 10s in world rugby.
He has a lot more to work on than his goal kicking to be one of the best 10s in the world.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote: b)They want out of Belfast if they're found innocent
It worked out for Isaac Boss!
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

paddyor wrote:
Wow. That would be a terrible shame (if they are found innocent) to be basically run out of their home province. I'd say in those circumstances they would not be interested in playing for any of the other 3 provinces. Jackson would be snapped up, Olding too by the french or english clubs.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

blockhead wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Wow. That would be a terrible shame (if they are found innocent) to be basically run out of their home province. I'd say in those circumstances they would not be interested in playing for any of the other 3 provinces. Jackson would be snapped up, Olding too by the french or english clubs.
They are probably right though. Chad Evans (footballer) was found innocent but his name is still tarnished by the court case and still receives awful abuse from fans. I would want them to stay but I can see the reason why they would go abroad.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

mildlyinterested wrote:
matt wrote:
He has a lot more to work on than his goal kicking to be one of the best 10s in the world.
Read it again "he could end up". It's potential we are talking about and at barely 22 in his second season at Leinster there is no way he could be the finished article but in my opinion his potential is there to achieve at the highest level & you rarely see that.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

outcast eddie wrote:
You are joking I hope or elde an Ulster fan in disguise.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
Good advice all round.
But would out mean out of Ireland? Probably.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Not good. They can have Cathal Marsh. If they must take Ross Byrne, I hope it's some sort of one-season loan deal, as was previously mooted for Carbery going up there.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

If we assume that Sexton and Carbery will be with Irish squads for the foreseeable, there is no way we should let Ross Byrne leave for Ulster or anywhere else. He will be guaranteed 7 or 8 Pro14 games a season just for the AIs and 6Ns alone and that ignores player management issues with JS particularly and injuries which let's face it neither Sexton or Carbery have been immune to.
Four Stars
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The earth is flat
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

Oldschool wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:
You are joking I hope or elde an Ulster fan in disguise.
At the moment Ross Byrne is the better 10.

Joey is the better rugby player and has a higher ceiling.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup