Leinster vs Exeter Sat 16-12-17@3.15PM - BT Sport

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Leinster vs Exeter Sat 16-12-17@3.15PM - BT Sport

Post by Cianostays »

Huge performance yesterday puts us 3-4pts better off than we all thought we'd be. Having watched the game, I don't think that Chiefs pack are as fit as they should be. We can afford to be a little more ambitious at home. They'll have to compete at the breakdown and that should allow us more space to exploit out wide.

1-23 Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Toner, Fardy, SO'B, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, McFadden, Henshaw, Ringrose, Byrne, RK, Tracey, McGrath, Bent, Ryan, Leavy/Murphy, JGP, Byrne, Larmour.

I assume Ruddock won't be 100% so a little rotation is no harm. If Leavy is fit, he makes the bench. I think Adam Byrne could have some joy with his pace and size so he should come in. Ferg had a stronger showing than Isa so he should retain his place.

Brilliant to have so many options though.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Leinster vs Exeter

Post by Oldschool »

Leinster playing a more expansive game at home to a team like Exeter are more vulnerable.
This may not be the cakewalk it might seem given the comprehensive away win.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Agree Byrne could be a good option on the wing. Exeter were very poor under high balls. Our kicking was average but an improvement here could see Byrne challenging a few
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The main issue for Exeter is to identify what changes in tactics and personal will influence the game in their favour.
With a bit more possession they could expose us out wide.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I think he'll rotate J.McGrath in for Healy, as Cian creaked a bit in the scrum towards the end of his time on the field and Jack shored it up. Also, a 6-day turnaround from such a bruising game is particularly tough on front-rows. He initially probably planned to rotate Tracy in for Cronin, but after the former's line-out wobbles I hope he doesn't.
With Ruddock injured we'll presumably see VDF and SOB in the back row, with a tight call between a tired Conan and Jordi for the final starting spot.

There's a strong argument to bring in Adam Byrne for Ferg, due to his dominance in the air but also his status as a more 'attacking' player for a home game. Then it's a shootout between Larmour, DK and Ferg for the no.23 jersey as I don't see Leo dropping Nacewa or Rob Kearney. By the sound of the press conference Sexton should be fine (but we'll see...).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Leave all that's well alone IMO...
Super squad performance all round and the selection worked perfectly
1-23 played there part

I'd hesitate to make changes in the pack...church was industrious and looked to have Willian's in trouble, Cronin was having a super game and the try saving tackle ( legal or not was purely taking one for the team and the gamble paid off, not many hookers in world rugby are even getting a hand on Nowell)
Both Rows as is with maybe Ryan on at 45/50 mins
JVDF for Rhys, and SOB Jack C

Backs as is for me, Ringer was quiet but he's only getting going...Isa needs to clear up the poor defensive reads that have crept in lately and Ferg has to stay
RK can bring at bit more in attack but his field positioning last night was superb

I reckon they'll come full guns blazing and another war is in store
Win and we've one foot in the Q finals please god
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Leave all that's well alone IMO...
Super squad performance all round and the selection worked perfectly
1-23 played there part

I'd hesitate to make changes in the pack...church was industrious and looked to have Willian's in trouble, Cronin was having a super game and the try saving tackle ( legal or not was purely taking one for the team and the gamble paid off, not many hookers in world rugby are even getting a hand on Nowell)
Both Rows as is with maybe Ryan on at 45/50 mins
JVDF for Rhys, and SOB Jack C

Backs as is for me, Ringer was quiet but he's only getting going...Isa needs to clear up the poor defensive reads that have crept in lately and Ferg has to stay
RK can bring at bit more in attack but his field positioning last night was superb

I reckon they'll come full guns blazing and another war is in store
Win and we've one foot in the Q finals please god
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Murphy for Ruddock and VdeF to bench I reckon.
I think Ferg did enough to keep his spot. He's part Tazzy devil that fella
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

No Isa?

Wouldn't be an advocate of dropping the captain in the biggest game of the season
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:No Isa?

Wouldn't be an advocate of dropping the captain in the biggest game of the season
Fair point and if Sexton can't kick, even more so.
Fergie should be practicing that aspect of his game too.
However Isa needs to stop kicking possession away needlessly.
He has to trust his support players just as much in attack as defence.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:No Isa?

I get where you're coming from but we've plenty of Leaders in the team and Isa simply doesn't offer enough at the highest level for me anymore. Not in the back 3 anyway.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Have season ticket holders got their tickets yet? I'd usually have one by now I think, but no sign of it.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

FourMasters wrote:Have season ticket holders got their tickets yet? I'd usually have one by now I think, but no sign of it.
Got mine on Friday

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

FourMasters wrote:Have season ticket holders got their tickets yet? I'd usually have one by now I think, but no sign of it.
Arrived last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Rhys could be out for the rest of the season:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 00632.html
Poor fecker. He has been outstanding this season.
Can we keep Jordi now?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

curates_egg wrote:Rhys could be out for the rest of the season:
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 00632.html
Poor fecker. He has been outstanding this season.
Can we keep Jordi now?
Was that a 4G pitch? We always lose someone to one of them
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

bench Nick Mc and start Lowe.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

RoboProp wrote:
Was that a 4G pitch? We always lose someone to one of them
Nope, its a Grassmaster

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Injury update:

Ireland and Leinster flanker Rhys Ruddock will see a surgeon later this week following the hamstring injury he suffered against Exeter at Sandy Park last Sunday.

There was no prognosis on Tuesday from Leinster management about how long the Irish flanker could be sidelined for until further medical examination.

However it was reiterated that Leinster outhalf Johnny Sexton, who left the pitch before the end of the Champions Cup win with a quad injury, will be available for selection in Saturday’s return leg.

Adam Byrne, who earned his first Irish cap on the wing and in the centre during the November Series, has been suffering knee pain since he came back from Irish duty and has not been able to train fully with the province. Leinster are hopeful that Byrne will return to training this week.

There was good news for Irish centre Robbie Henshaw and forward James Ryan, who both came through last weekend without incident. Both players were recent returns from injury.

Joey Carberry (arm fracture), Barry Daly (ankle), Jamie Heaslip (lower back) and Tom Daly (Knee) remain on the longer term injury list and are unavailable for selection.

Lock Ross Molony will return to on-field training this week. The 23-year-old has recovered from a knee injury and will be assessed during training as the week progresses.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote:Injury update:

Ireland and Leinster flanker Rhys Ruddock will see a surgeon later this week following the hamstring injury he suffered against Exeter at Sandy Park last Sunday.

There was no prognosis on Tuesday from Leinster management about how long the Irish flanker could be sidelined for until further medical examination.

However it was reiterated that Leinster outhalf Johnny Sexton, who left the pitch before the end of the Champions Cup win with a quad injury, will be available for selection in Saturday’s return leg.

Adam Byrne, who earned his first Irish cap on the wing and in the centre during the November Series, has been suffering knee pain since he came back from Irish duty and has not been able to train fully with the province. Leinster are hopeful that Byrne will return to training this week.

There was good news for Irish centre Robbie Henshaw and forward James Ryan, who both came through last weekend without incident. Both players were recent returns from injury.

Joey Carberry (arm fracture), Barry Daly (ankle), Jamie Heaslip (lower back) and Tom Daly (Knee) remain on the longer term injury list and are unavailable for selection.

Lock Ross Molony will return to on-field training ths week. The 23-year-old has recovered from a knee injury and will be assessed during training as the week progresses.
Is that the first time this season that Heaslip has been mentioned in dispatches?