A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Connacht Jan 1st 3.15pm

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:
molloyjh wrote:The stats have been updated. Apparently Josh didn't actually make 31 tackles. He made 34. Still didn't miss one though....
What the actual fyuck. That's the most I've ever seen from an Irish rugby player in 15 years. Must be the second most in a pro-level rugby match's after Dusautoir's famous 37 against the All Blacks?
Massive pat on the back for Molony (27), Deegan (26) and Fardy/Ed Byrne who had 16 each as subs.
5 guys making more than half the teams tackles. :clap:

Delighted for Molony to put up a big clean 27 given his issue with some easy missed tackles.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Max Deegan made 26 tackles and was on the ball 20 times in the game. That is an incredible workrate for a 21 year old.

Dooley was on the ball 12 times (3 P and 9 R), made 10 tackles (1 missed) in 50 minutes. He looked bulkier to my eye, I wonder have Leinster had him on a programme to add some kg's.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Not sure anyone has highlighted it here but that last 5 (ish) minute defensive effort was something special. The desire within this group to win that match, against a team that isn't in our conference, was an indication of the mental attitude within the Leinster camp at the moment. For this I salute Stuart Lancaster, I know he is big on building the right culture within organisations and he seems to be on the right track here. :clap:
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Does anyone know if the full match has been posted online yet (and where)?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

domhnallj wrote:Does anyone know if the full match has been posted online yet (and where)?
https://rugbylist.blogspot.ie/2018/01/
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

outcast eddie wrote:Not sure anyone has highlighted it here but that last 5 (ish) minute defensive effort was something special. The desire within this group to win that match, against a team that isn't in our conference, was an indication of the mental attitude within the Leinster camp at the moment. For this I salute Stuart Lancaster, I know he is big on building the right culture within organisations and he seems to be on the right track here. :clap:

Thought Fardy was unbelievable in those few minutes. He does the shouting and pointing like POM and also makes the tackles and hits the rucks. Serious competitor. I think they probably get over if he is not there driving everyone on. The legend grows.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

blockhead wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Does anyone know if the full match has been posted online yet (and where)?
Cheers dude!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

outcast eddie wrote:Not sure anyone has highlighted it here but that last 5 (ish) minute defensive effort was something special. The desire within this group to win that match, against a team that isn't in our conference, was an indication of the mental attitude within the Leinster camp at the moment. For this I salute Stuart Lancaster, I know he is big on building the right culture within organisations and he seems to be on the right track here. :clap:
I thought it was pretty incredible defense. The force was with Connacht and I was sure they were going to get over. Not only did we repel it, but we pushed them back to near the 22 and had great discipline.
Dont Panic!
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

domhnallj wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Cheers dude!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
On the TG4 Player as well
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

What is all this sh!t I'm seeing about matches against teams not in our conference not being important?? There's the same number of match points on offer no matter who the opposition is, and the match points always apply in the team's own conference. Am I missing something?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinsterforever wrote:
What is all this sh!t I'm seeing about matches against teams not in our conference not being important?? There's the same number of match points on offer no matter who the opposition is, and the match points always apply in the team's own conference. Am I missing something?

WIth an inter-conference game there are only the 4 points at stake - with a game within a conference its the old '8-pointer' as in a team in your conference can actively gain on you if they beat you
I have Bumbleflex
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Dave Cahill wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:

WIth an inter-conference game there are only the 4 points at stake - with a game within a conference its the old '8-pointer' as in a team in your conference can actively gain on you if they beat you
Well duh. It's not really relevant though when the equivalently-placed team in your own conference is 20 points behind on the log. Treviso are in fifth place in conference B. Connacht are in fifth in conference A. Leinster aren't going to be more motivated against Treviso than they were against Connacht just because they're in the same conference. The way some people go on it's as if there's nothing at stake in an inter-conference game. The players know the pressure's on to out-do or at least match the feats of the teams close on the conference table in any particular round.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Surely it's far simpler than that. You want to win all of your games. Full stop. If you're a squad that has limited resources then maybe you need to target certain games over others, but by and large you want to win all your home games anyway. For a side like Leinster we have the depth to not have to pick and choose and so we just want to win all our games.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yeah I think the in conference thing is overplayed slightly, unless we're playing Ulster or Scarlets there isn't much to gain from beating a conference rival instead of a non conference one.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

leinsterforever wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
leinsterforever wrote: What is all this sh!t I'm seeing about matches against teams not in our conference not being important?? There's the same number of match points on offer no matter who the opposition is, and the match points always apply in the team's own conference. Am I missing something?

Well duh. It's not really relevant though when the equivalently-placed team in your own conference is 20 points behind on the log. Treviso are in fifth place in conference B. Connacht are in fifth in conference A. Leinster aren't going to be more motivated against Treviso than they were against Connacht just because they're in the same conference. The way some people go on it's as if there's nothing at stake in an inter-conference game. The players know the pressure's on to out-do or at least match the feats of the teams close on the conference table in any particular round.
It affects some of the thinking for sure. For instance, there is no incentive to deny an opposing team a losing or try bonus point if they're in the other conference. That will surely have consequences for decisions about kickable penalties, particularly close to the end of a game.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ChrisUppy wrote: It affects some of the thinking for sure. For instance, there is no incentive to deny an opposing team a losing or try bonus point if they're in the other conference. That will surely have consequences for decisions about kickable penalties, particularly close to the end of a game.
Maybe against Scarlets or Uls, but there’s feck all incentive against Connacht for us to restrict their points.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

wixfjord wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote: It affects some of the thinking for sure. For instance, there is no incentive to deny an opposing team a losing or try bonus point if they're in the other conference. That will surely have consequences for decisions about kickable penalties, particularly close to the end of a game.
Maybe against Scarlets or Uls, but there’s feck all incentive against Connacht for us to restrict their points.
I think that was his point.

I'm not sure it has that much effect in game other than that scenario where you will go for the corner in an attempt to get a TBP and not worry about taking the percentage option of the kick at goal to deny a LBP to the out of conference oppostition. Where I think it has a big impact is in selection: the management will select a stronger team for preference against an in conference rival for the top rather than an out of conference rival in around the same position. Where it is a choice of one game or another to play big guns.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

You'd have to question the coaching intelligence in Connacht where they pick a strong side against Leinster (in the other conference) to end up with a weaker side against Munster (potential 8 point swing).
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ribs wrote:You'd have to question the coaching intelligence in Connacht where they pick a strong side against Leinster (in the other conference) to end up with a weaker side against Munster (potential 8 point swing).
Have to keep the fans happy though
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ribs wrote:You'd have to question the coaching intelligence in Connacht where they pick a strong side against Leinster (in the other conference) to end up with a weaker side against Munster (potential 8 point swing).
You'd have to think they've run out of schminutes for the Munster game alright
I have Bumbleflex